Carbon Monoxide Warning -- Fridges

ChrisD

Hallo everyone.

I have a Rollerteam 746 (purchased from new) and on a long trip this summer my fridge developed a fault.

Although I didn't know it at the time this fault caused it to produce lots of Carbon Monoxide.

There was a very strong smell which my wife and I attributed to road resurfacing (melting tar).

But I later realised this was coming from my fridge vent so turned off the fridge.

I should explain that I am a qualified Gas engineer and own a firm of Gas contractors.

Before our trip I tested the gas system, visually inspected the hob and fridge and serviced the boiler.

The fridge was tested with a combustion analyser and all tests returned within correct limits.

It later turned out that an insect had crawled into the flue, had been cremated when the burner came on and hence the producing of copious amounts of CO.

This in itself was one issue but the fridge is supposed to be 'room sealed' i.e. the exhaust sealed from entering the van. But mine was not, the top seal was incorrectly made and with one of the rooflights open it acted like a chimney drawing the fumes from the fridge exhaust into the camper. And lots of CO.

When I visually checked the seals prior to our trip they appeared absolutely fine and I believe that many an experienced gas engineer would have been fooled by these perfect looking seals. But they weren't and only removal of the controls fascia revealed the issue. Our inspection procedures have completely revised following this incident although we do not work on campervans.

Needless to say I'm in discussion with the supplier.

So in conclusion all 746 owners, I recommend that the top seal is checked and if in doubt return it to your Dealer for checking and possible rectification.

Please, before a trip have your appliances gas checked and not just a 'hab check'

Inadequate sealing of the rear of a 3-way fridge from the interior of a leisure-vehicle has been a perennial problem - it was discussed in this 2011 forum thread.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Draft-from-Fridge/23954/

Electrolux/Dometic used to offer a sealing kit for their fridges, but this was discontinued as there was no demand from caravan/motorhome converters.

Thank you Derek.

The difference is that if the fridge develops a fault it can become dangerous.

The CO readings in my camper could potentially, for a small child be injurious or life threatening.

Wouldn't want that to happen to anyone. Hence my original post.

Chris

This is one of the reasons I fitted a co alarm. Many convertors don't fit equipment correctly, fridges and heating systems being fitted incorrectly seems the norm, if reviewers noted these things instead of just commenting on pretty obvious frilly things buyers might be clued up.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-04 6:49 PM

Inadequate sealing of the rear of a 3-way fridge from the interior of a leisure-vehicle has been a perennial problem - it was discussed in this 2011 forum thread.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Draft-from-Fridge/23954/

Electrolux/Dometic used to offer a sealing kit for their fridges, but this was discontinued as there was no demand from caravan/motorhome converters.

Apparently the failing of fridges at certain motorway aires rendering the occupants unconscious, and allowing robberies is also a perennial problem ;-) ........

P1010899.JPG.7663b7124590d96ee0dd3fa22c4aa67f.JPG

I had my fridge serviced last month. I thought I had got a whiff of fumes entering that were not normal. On checking the carbon monoxide detector, the reading had gone up from 0 but not enough to trigger the alarm.

It was the usual build up of soot in the flue that had caused it.

Clive.

I've seen fridges with daylight coming through around them. I've also noticed the majority don't care about anything remotely technical in the MH. And it lets manufacturers get away with poor sealing, insulation, 4mm2 wires where they should use 16, heating pipes that blow air so hot to melt plastic because the shortest branch is only 15cm away from the heater etc. The person who bought our van this week was obviously not interested when we tried to guide him through some basic functionality. First time buyer etc. I hope he doesn't start calling how things work every weekend when they figure out they have no idea.

I went to a caravan show once where I was the only one routinely removing pillows, opening panels etc. to figure out how the "invisible" stuff was made by various companies. Everyone else just cares about beds and closet space I guess.

To quote from this website

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

So, when ChrisD’s fridge developed a fault (insect in flue) a very strong smell resulted (hardly surprising) and it was only later it was found that carbon monoxide was being produced. If ChrisD had fitted a CO alarm prior to the insect episode, this should have revealed the presence of CO at the time.

(Do you really need a carbon dioxide (CO2) alarm? Such things evidently exist, but the product normally fitted to leisure-vehicles detects carbon monoxide (CO) not carbon dioxide.)

One of my first jobs is to fit the seal on the fridge and a CO alarm, the seal should be fitted when the fridge is fitted but they can't be bothered with instructions 8-)

The Co alarm is also a priority and will often sound when a battery is overheating, so it can save you from a fire too :-D

Our co 2 alarm is fitted just after where the cab joins the coachbuilt section and I often wonder if this is the correct position as the fridge is along the rear wall of our 6 m motorhome.

I have on occasion had the alarm go off when I have driven with the drivers window open. but not every time, pollution I guess.

Pete

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-05 8:59 AM

To quote from this website

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

So, when ChrisD’s fridge developed a fault (insect in flue) a very strong smell resulted (hardly surprising) and it was only later it was found that carbon monoxide was being produced. If ChrisD had fitted a CO alarm prior to the insect episode, this should have revealed the presence of CO at the time.

(Do you really need a carbon dioxide (CO2) alarm? Such things evidently exist, but the product normally fitted to leisure-vehicles detects carbon monoxide (CO) not carbon dioxide.)

So its a Carbon Monoxide alarm we need then for a motorhome. Aldi have them it seems. https://www.aldi.co.uk/carbon-monoxide-alarm/p/020973314698000?gclid=CjwKCAjw_uDsBRAMEiwAaFiHa3QgGuZEAxZWkMFwzsY-x8xFOSjPX4Is70Wzq7iuwwsPkLU12cG0gRoCgYAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Except I bet the local one here wont have them.

“Which” magazine tested carbon monoxide detectors in 2016 and all the Fire Angel products available then (including the CO-9B being sold by ALDI) were rated as Best Buys. The CO-9B is widely marketed, though possibly not as cheaply as ALDI’s asking-price of £12.99. Other, more sophisticated, Fire Angel detectors are offered on-line for a few quid more.

Archived