EHU at home?

Guest rael

I’ve noticed that quite a few motorhome owners in my local area seem to have their motorhome almost permanently connected to their home power supply via their EHU. Is this necessary/wise? I don’t do this, might plug in for 24 hours before we go away but otherwise as I’m using the van a couple of times a week I’m assuming that will suffice in terms of charging batteries? My last motorhome spent 6 months in outdoor storage, (not on charge) with no apparent deterioration of the batteries. My current motorhome is smaller than the previous one so fits on the drive, so I can connect EHU if needed. Advice would be appreciated.

Unless you have a special outlet designed to supply power to your motorhome, connecting the EHU cable between an outlet in the house or garage and the van will not comply with regulations. Most homes in the UK have an earthing system, PME, where the neutral and earth are bonded where the supply enters the property. The regulations prohibit the connection of a PME supply to any metal bodied accomodation including caravans and motorhomes.

Under certain supply faults there can be a voltage difference between the PME conductors and the actual earth ( grass,soil,paving) near the motorhome. Such conditions are rare but may occur hence the regulations.

Mike

mikefitz - 2019-10-22 5:26 PM

Unless you have a special outlet designed to supply power to your motorhome, connecting the EHU cable between an outlet in the house or garage and the van will not comply with regulations. Most homes in the UK have an earthing system, PME, where the neutral and earth are bonded where the supply enters the property. The regulations prohibit the connection of a PME supply to any metal bodied accomodation including caravans and motorhomes.

Under certain supply faults there can be a voltage difference between the PME conductors and the actual earth ( grass,soil,paving) near the motorhome. Such conditions are rare but may occur hence the regulations.

Mike

So what makes the supply point for an EHU special? Is it not just a wall-mounted blue socket?

StuartO - 2019-10-22 5:58 PM

mikefitz - 2019-10-22 5:26 PM

Mike

So what makes the supply point for an EHU special? Is it not just a wall-mounted blue socket?

It should be earth at, or near, the socket.

It's not just a blue socket. The outlet is supplied with live and neutral power cables via a 30 mA RCD and a local earth is used, normally an earth rod.

It's very unusual faults that cause the supplied earth in the house to have a higher voltage than your garden earth, faults at the substation, road works damaging cables.

Mike

Archived