Zenec navigation - Hymer MLT

curdle

I did a trip to Spain recently where I found the Zenec navigation unit (installed on a Mercedes base) to be pretty useless, with significantly outdated maps and periodic freezing. The unit is just over a year old and looking at the Zenec website it would appear that free updates are only available in the first year, so just missed the deadline. I would have expected updates to be available during the warranty period, at least. Has anyone had experience of paying for an update - and if so was it worthwhile? I am unimpressed with most of it's very clunky and limited functions and prefer to use Apple Carplay, but of course that uses up data. I wish Tesla would get into motorhomes, any updates would be automatically delivered over the air.

I have a Burstner which came with a Pioneer double DIN DAB unit which also has Satnav. I was told it could be updated for free using ‘Naviextras’ software. However, when I installed naviextras and registered the Pioneer unit I found that they want nearly £100 for a European map update. This unit is slow, it freezes, if I install my own POIs it grinds to a halt, and in general in my opinion is a waste of space. Very disappointed and to be honest I use a phone app.

I had a Zenec and pioneer was also possible. As integrated head units in the dashbord. Fully agree on above comments. And had a CD locked in theZenec. To repair the complte head unit has to taking out and send to Zenec germany. All nav lost for.... Did not do it since i planning the sale. Now sold for one year. The new owner in our club likes it very much. Including the update software. it is just a game of perception.

Thanks to you both. This confirms my suspicion that this clunky German unit is waste of space and money. This is extreme analogue in a digital world and there cannot be anyone under 50 employed at either Zenec or Hymer, to believe this is cutting edge! Will rip it out and replace with Alpine.

...you might find you get some additional functionality with an Alpine unit, but it is likely that the navigation software will be the same underlying NavNGo software as the Zenec. You might, then, like to dwell on which particular part/function of the Zenec you don't like.

It would be interesting to know which Zenec model is fitted in the Merc (as it won't be the Fiat specific one generally fitted by Hymer in other models). Hymer have been known to install models older than the current range.

Zenec do offer firmware upgrades, which are downloadable and installable free, so it is always worth checking whether you are on the latest firmware, and the effects of updating if you're not.

In addition, the navigation software (at least on some models) fell foul of the recent Navigation "rollover" bug, and patches were made available free to fix that (via a combination of Zenec and NavNGo updates where appropriate).

I always found the Zenec I had reasonable in use (I currently have an Xzent - their second brand), though I'm not particularly demanding of functionality. FM/DAB/USB and camera interface that all work well is enough for me.

As for the IGO navigation software - it takes a bit of learning how to get the best from it, but I consider it the best off-line software I've used.

Robinhood - 2019-10-31 10:04 PM

...you might find you get some additional functionality with an Alpine unit, but it is likely that the navigation software will be the same underlying NavNGo software as the Zenec. You might, then, like to dwell on which particular part/function of the Zenec you don't like.

It would be interesting to know which Zenec model is fitted in the Merc (as it won't be the Fiat specific one generally fitted by Hymer in other models). Hymer have been known to install models older than the current range.

Zenec do offer firmware upgrades, which are downloadable and installable free, so it is always worth checking whether you are on the latest firmware, and the effects of updating if you're not.

In addition, the navigation software (at least on some models) fell foul of the recent Navigation "rollover" bug, and patches were made available free to fix that (via a combination of Zenec and NavNGo updates where appropriate).

I always found the Zenec I had reasonable in use (I currently have an Xzent - their second brand), though I'm not particularly demanding of functionality. FM/DAB/USB and camera interface that all work well is enough for me.

As for the IGO navigation software - it takes a bit of learning how to get the best from it, but I consider it the best off-line software I've used.

I have to hone in on your statement that Hymer have been known to fit older hardware. This is exactly the point. My surprise is that this unit does not have a slot for a cassette tape! The unit cannot recognise 5 year old motorways in Spain or the central town of Haro in La Rioja. It is an analogue antique in. MH one year old. It does not support Apple CarPlay in which case (if it did) none of it’s inadequacies would matter

Archived