Bikers

tonanti

My motorhoming life is currently shared with a 125cc Honda scooter but this thread started me thinking about my previous bikes. These are the ones that I can remember.

150cc New Imperial (primary gear driven so the engine ran backwards !)

250cc Royal Enfield, 197cc Ambassador, 197cc Norman trials,350cc Royal Enfield Bullet trials, 197cc James Commander trials,(pause for family & work), 250cc Montessa trials, 250cc Ossa trials, 125cc TL Honda trials,175cc TY Yamaha trials,1000 BMW R100RT,650cc Yamaha Diversion,1000 BMW R100R, 650cc BMW, 900cc Yamaha Diversion,650cc Honda Deauville. Courtesy of my father and other family members I have been lucky enough to have ridden a no. of Scotts, Triumphs,Nortons and bikes from many other long forgotten British manufacturers. What happy days, no cameras, mot's, helmets, road rage and very little traffic. What about a bikers group so that we can kick a few tyres and swop some stories?

Geoff

seems there are more "old age travellers" into bikes than i thought. Your right about them growing my garage now has 4 bikes

Tuono 1000 (hers)

Fazer 1000 (mine)

DR650 (MINE BECAUSE ITS KICKSTART)

Slr 650(hers because its electric start)

The two trail bikes are going to France with us 19th March .

GW

Me on own:

Suzuki FZ50 (50cc) moped - orange

Honda CG 125 (passed test on this one) - maroon

Husband on own:

Batavus 50cc - orange

CZ 175 (passed test on this) - red/black

Honda CB100 (I think!) - silver

Together:

Suzuki FZ50 (50cc) moped - blue (1 each)

Honda CJ250 - yellow

Honda Super Dream 250 - silver

Kawasaki Z400 - dark green

Suzuki 100 - blue (can't remember it's name)

Bond Mk G Estates - invacar blue - not a bike but with a 250 twin Villiers engine!!!

Bond Mk G Ranger Van - various colours! - 250 twin.

Suzuki 50cc moped - can't remember what it was but very nice - bronze

Arial 3 - three-wheeled moped - orange - fantastic!!!

Arial 3 again - green, broken for spares

Vespa 125cc scooter - black (aka "The Slug")

Honda Express Deluxe - orange

Honda Express - standard - yellow

Honda Chaly - 70cc - blue

Honda 70cc monkey bike - black

Honda NF75 72cc - blue, 1980 with 130 miles on the clock ... at 20 years old - absolutely mint!

Honda NF75 72cc - red

Honda NF75 72cc - another blue one

Still got the 3 NF75s!

I think that's enough for now!

(lol)

Had 350 Matchless but they changed the law before I could ride it legally, so got a BSA C11 250cc. Got so cold on it in the winter of 62-3 that the lead on the end of the clutch cable shattered and had to drive 15 miles on the ice with no clutch. Bought a guitar instead feel a lot warmer- safer and dont need to think motorist all the time.

But for those of you who enjoy it, please continue to do so - safely

Rgds VoH

tonanti - 2007-02-27 9:18 PM

Mel B , heard of the Ariel 3 from my cousin but never actually heard of anyone owning one , never mind 2 !!!.

GW (West Riding)

For all of those who haven't a clue what one of these looks like here's a picture - absolute hoot to ride, you can't see the 3rd wheel which is on the opposite side of the rear, but as a novelty for a moped - you could even carry a spare! Yes, you could fall off it, it had a torsion bar set up between the front and rear which is how it twisted to go round corners, if you forgot to put your feet down when stationary you'd slowly tip off sideways!!

1448444099_ariel-mmm.jpg.f744fb11c0dc5a801b1624cfc41db71d.jpg

Hi sorry chaps, but mu internet conection in france is rubbish, and shows as not sending posts, so I press that button once, two times and sometimes three.

It just goes to show, that there is a lot of interest in classic motorbikes, My french mate as an harley davidson with all the US police kit on it, went for a little ride on it last week, well its bigger then a goldwing and just not for me, my other half liked it, big real seat with armrests etc, and I must say that I liked the blue lights flashing and the siren,

It was a boyhood dream to own a harley, but I will stick with my old triumphs and bsa.

terry

Hey all,

Started as a lad with various mopeds across the fields. Progressed to a BSA 250 Starfire, BSA B25SS Gold Star, BSA A10, then in the early 80's I got into the "Chopper" scene, building Choppers & Lowriders, based on big jap fours, with parts imported from the states. Late 80's saw the Harley "bug" bite, with a new Sportster in'90, swiftly followed in'92 by a Superglide.

After suffering a dodgy back for too long, which is partly why we got a motorhome!!, I now have a Yamaha 600 diversion, which I tow on a small bike trailer behind my van. Best of both worlds!!

Oh and Clive, talking of Harleys & belt drives. I've drag raced mine on many occasion with nevr a problem. Revving a v twin to 4k & dropping the clutch is a test for any method of drive wouldn't you say? (and a real blast!!!!!). the hardest part was keeping the front wheel down.

Happy Daze!! Cheers Creaky.

Hi Creaky,

I have had two cam belts fail on different cars, both within the change period so have a dislike of rubber band drive. Surely having something which does NOT require maintenance, does not require critical adjustment between drive and rear wheel sprockets and is not able to be wiped out by a pebble caught in the mechanism must be better- Like a shaft drive?

I will concede however that the efficiency of both belt or chain drive will always be better than shaft drive where gears are required to turn the axis of the drive at each end. Typically a good gear drives lose 1.5% per tooth meshing so a 3% loss minimum for shaft drive. But its fit and forget.

Belts also cost less!

Its down to personal preferance I guess. Our first mopeds were Yamaha QT50's with shaft drive.

Its down to personal preferance I guess.

I wish it would get warmer!

I'm currently sunning myself in Spain and using a friend's laptop and ISP. So this list is for me - Steve O'Reilly.

Current bikes are

Honda VFR 800

BMW K75

Honda CBR 600

Puch MS50D (two)

VeloSolex S3800 (two)

Spartamet - bicycle with Sachs 30cc engine in rear wheel

GT mountain bikes (two)

Kettler city bike

Raleigh Royal

Raleigh Royale

Victor roadster

Pashley Sovereign

Halfords mountain bike

only the first eight have engines!

Steve O'Reilly

I towed a Honda XR125L behind my Rapido 709F ( 2.3 litre). Last year I toured Northern Spain and Portugal for 10 weeks, spent a month on the algarve and returned home through France.

I fitted a rear view camera so I could keep an eye on the bike, and had to reverse on occasion with no problems at all.....just took it slowly !

I recommend it any motor-caravanner who wants to take their motorbike with them, as I had fantastic fun exploring on it, and it was also so much easier to park in the towns of course. I've replaced the small Honda with a Honda 650 Transalp and can't wait to start travelling again !!

Incidently I've got a single bike trailer for sale - carries up to 300 kgs

I towed a Honda XR125L behind my Rapido 709F ( 2.3 litre). Last year I toured Northern Spain and Portugal for 10 weeks, spent a month on the algarve and returned home through France.

I fitted a rear view camera so I could keep an eye on the bike, and had to reverse on occasion with no problems at all.....just took it slowly !

I recommend it any motor-caravanner who wants to take their motorbike with them, as I had fantastic fun exploring on it, and it was also so much easier to park in the towns of course. I've replaced the small Honda with a Honda 650 Transalp and can't wait to start travelling again !!

Incidently I've got a single bike trailer for sale - carries up to 300 kgs

Archived