Motorhome construction materials

pike

Hi - I am starting to look at changing our motorhome and have been looking at different construction types. Some manufacturers make it easy to find out about their chosen materials (Roller Team are apparently wood free, Benimar almost wood free, although still have a plywood floor and Dethleffs still use plywood). Some manufacturers websites have no information.

Does anyone know of a resource that shows different construction types by brand?

Also, does anyone know of the advantages/disadvantages of not using wood (or why wood might be better)?

Thanks

pike - 2019-11-04 2:22 PM

Does anyone know of a resource that shows different construction types by brand?

Thanks

It's a subject that interests me and I've spent a good deal of time researching and I'm almost certain that no such resource exists. It's further complicated by manufacturers not using the same construction across their entire model ranges too e.g. Burstner whose Ixeos are wood-free (roof, walls, lower floor) while the cheaper Lyseos aren't.

Also consider the insulation material used, as XPS ('Styrofoam') cannot absorb or transmit moisture while EPS (expanded polystyrene) can.

The list of entirely wood-free XPS-insulated coachbuilts is really quite small. Add to that my preference for a GRP skin rather than aluminium and it begins to explain just why I'm having such trouble in finding my next van..

Obviously wood free is better for the reasons already mentioned.

But construction must also be considered.

In foreign forums brands such as Burstner or Laika (just examples) seldom suffer infiltration.

Other brands quite often.

About technology:

Outer skin:

Basically we have four types:

Aluminium (the most used)

Fiberglass sheets (many brands)

Monocoque fiberglass (Wingamm, Aiesistem, Esterel)

Alufiber (to my knowledge used only by the Italian Arca)

Insulating material:

Polystyrene of various types

Styrofoam

RTM (also has structural features)

Some material used in slabs, other times injected under pressure)

Structure:

Aluminium-RTM-Aluminium (e.g. Concorde, Carthago)

Aluminium-Polystyrene(or Styrofoam)-Plywood (the most brands)

Fiberglass-Injected foam-Fiberglass (Wingamm for instance)

A separate discussion needs patent Hymer PUAL system (https://hymer.com/de/en/models/technology-innovation/pual)

Max

Within Alu-RTM-Alu brands I obviosly forgot Niesmann&Bishoffs.

About me:

I started in late eighties with a 6mt overcab bed Freccia (entry level of Arca family).

Then switched to a low profile 6.6mt Laika.

My last was a 6.2mt low profile fiberglass monocoque (Aiesistem).

All used in very hot (Greece and Andalusia) as well very cold weather (on the Alps, down to -25°C).

Without doubts and comparisons, best in class is monocoque technology.

Now I am waiting for a Malibu campervan.

We will see...

Max

Thanks - interesting information.

Does anyone have any specific like or dislike of wooden framed motorhomes versus 'wood free' alternatives? I have read that wood reduces noise, however are 'wood free' construction methods likely to last as long as wood (assuming no water ingress)?

Guest pelmetman
pike - 2019-11-04 2:48 PM

Yes - I was meaning roof, walls and flooring

Usually ;-) .........

This winter I will be repairing a damp patch in our floor from a leaking pump that fooled me for months by not doing the usual pump motion for no reason >:-( .........

But hey Horace will be 30 years old next year B-) ........

So at his age and mine a certain incontinence is only to be expected :$ .........

Guest pelmetman
pike - 2019-11-04 2:48 PM

Yes - I was meaning roof, walls and flooring

You are forgetting the bit that makes it move ;-) ........

Ford, Merc or Sevel Variants all of whom seem to suffer from a complication of complicated problems 8-) .......

That's just my view as a practicing Luddite :D .........

Archived