Is there such a thing as a simple weight upgrade?

weldted

weldted - 2019-11-12 9:59 PM

Thank you for all your replies, hence the original question? I would find it hard given the design of my van to be able to get anywhere balancing the quoted uprated loading, this van although a bit late now we have bought it has a very limited storage anywhere other than the large garage area well to the rear. It would be very easy to overload the rear axle and take weight off of the front axle so effecting stability and front wheel grip. My original enquiry was to take it up to 4250 kg as the latest models have on the same chassis.

Then, as my first option, and bearing in mind maintaining existing warranties, I'd go back to the dealer to pursue the upgrade "officially" through Burstner. That way you'll get a "clean" set of documentation, plus a "proper" replacement Burstner VIN transfer - which may prove useful if/when you come to sell.

Depending on what the existing CoC says, it may be that you'll also a need revised copy to "sanctify" the axle load increase. I don't see why that should be a problem, as it seems Burstner have already completed T/A procedures for the same model and chassis at 4,250kg MAM with 2,500kg on the rear axle.

I think I'd also check what actual information DVLA will require before firing the starting gun, so that you know exactly what you actually need to satisfy them. I'd do that by e-mail, so that you have a clear record of what was said, just in case. Once all that is clear, it should all go smoothly - albeit it may take a while for all the wheels to complete turning!

Weldted to Help you out if you proceed further the weight upgrade. I did 3500 to 3850 on burstner. The letter is in german so i will not uplaod them. The letter is called: declaration Clearance certificate. Whit all your motorhomes details and the new weight upgrade. Old and new. And a new house plate.

Sorry your large drop - down is located on the rear. And your only bed. That Can be the reason that you may have noticed that the MAM of your vehicle is Lower than the total of the axle limits.This is Done deliberately to allow for variations of loading. But a check whit bursner to increase a MAM with caution is the Best.

Before going down the weight-upgrading path, surely the logical and sensible thing to do would be to follow Brian Kirby’s advice to weigh the Burstner empty and in the ‘touring’ condition it will be expected to be in. Then it can be decided whether the weight maxima on the Burstner data-plate will be adequate or otherwise.

After Ted had uprated his previous Elddis motorhome’s overall weight, the vehicle began to exhibit peculiar oversteering tendencies. This was despite the possibility that the technical changes that had been made (fitting wider rear tyres and a semi-air kit) might result in understeer not oversteer. Further changes that were made (new rear dampers and wider front tyres) improved matters considerably but not totally.

I’m certainly not going to suggest that an ‘on paper’ overall-weight increase from 4000kg to 4250kg (and/or a rear-axle weight increase from 2400kg to 2500kg) would seriously affect how Ted’s Burstner behaves, but there’s no guarantee that this wouldn’t happen.

To misquote Donald Rumsfeld - "If in doubt, don't. If still in doubt, do what's logical”.

Thank you for all your comments, it is only the fact that we have a cottage just south of Limoges and it would be handy to know what this van could be capable of safely carring for the journey down I neither wish to overload or compromise the warranty of the van, we ourselves have said on our travels wonder how much some other campers might be overloaded given when they open the garage it looks like a Tesco's delivery van. Have twice emailed Burstner but as yet had no response. Luckily our local council tip allows a free weight check and we are within our limits on both axles for this trip

Burstner In kehl is the manufacturer of your motorhome. But they running a customer service department. But it is not a warehouse to handle a tausend request per day. This is done by your dealer. The upgrade can only pass via them. But you can activate it on burstner website. If 4250 kg is ok they send the clearance letter and plate to the dealer.

Archived