Overnight Parking at Cite Europe

Cattwg

Overnight Parking at Cite Europe  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

aandy - 2019-12-13 10:50 AM

"No one has EVER looked inside our vehicle or our bike rack. I suspect this is true of virtually everyone here."

Not true in my case. They don't check every time, but certainly more often than not, and I regularly see them checking others.

Same for us. On some crossings they have been searching every vehicle - and we've had armed French soldiers entering our MH.

Well, I can only speak as I find. I’ve never been, seen or heard of ANYONE being searched before. I’ve crossed at different times of the year and at different times. Never seen any vehicle searched at all.

You must all look pretty guilty 8-) :-D

I can’t comment on the security arrangements relating to the UK’s south-eastern routes, as we just use the Portsmouth-Ouistreham route (about 4 times per year).

Invariably, when returning from Ouistreham, a security check of our motorhome’s interior has been made (and usually of the rear garage’s interior too), and similar checking has been carried out of other motorhomes and vehicles that might have people stowing away in them (eg. caravans and commercial vans).

Motorhomes, caravans and vans have also been security-checked on arriving at Portsmouth, though not with the regularity of the checks performed in France..

Re immigration checks; I suspect immigration officers profile and part of the profiling may be the size of van. We’ve been checked every time we’ve returned via Calais but not when returning via Dunkirk. Checks though have not been comprehensive, basically checking the drop down bed, bathroom and the storage area under the bench seating. Hiding someone somewhere else would be perfectly feasible unless of course there’s some way of scanning the vans on arrival in the UK.

Guest pelmetman
Way2Go - 2019-12-13 11:08 AM

Well, I can only speak as I find. I’ve never been, seen or heard of ANYONE being searched before. I’ve crossed at different times of the year and at different times. Never seen any vehicle searched at all.

You must all look pretty guilty 8-) :-D

We got searched for the first time in years this October 8-) ...........

Leaving the UK :-S ........

Have noticed an increase in security on the Tunnel and moreover the North Sea ferries from Zebrugge Hull and Ijmuiden Newcastle, this summer we were stopped at UK customs in Cochelles but to my wife's shock and horror only wanted to swab the steering wheel, tested positive for Alcohol and Nicotine, the North see ferry routes generally want to look in the van, but unlike Dereks comment they seam not bothered about the garage, which is the first place I would look I even ask them do you want a look in the garage?

On tomorrows Ijmuiden Newcastle so we will see what this weeks flavour is.

Back to the original thread, I also think its a shame that the Cite Europe has adopted that policy, I have used it a lot over the years generally for the early morning crossings and never had any problems

There’s a long thread about Cité Europe parking here

https://www.campercontact.com/en/france/hauts-de-france-02-59-60-62-80/coquelles/18504/parking-supermarche-carrefour

with the top posting on Page 2 indicating that staying there after 10pm has been stopped by police at least as early as 29 November. An explanation for this ban is given in the posting of 2 December at the foot of Page 1.

A posting dated 8 December on Page 1 suggests the nearby Lidl car-park (co-ordinates 50°56'16.9"N 1°48'42.0”E ) as an alternative.

We cross twice a year. Dover to Dunkirk, normally on a Sunday outbound and a Friday coming back. We have done this every year starting in 2001. We have always been searched coming back (looking for people, not contraband) and about 4 times leaving the UK.

Luck?

StuartO - 2019-12-13 5:35 PM

Interesting the reason for banning overnight stays is that migrants are processed and released at the adjjacent police station; the proximity to a police station has often been mentioned by motorhomers as a source of reassurance for staying overnight!

This June 2019 article may be of interest

https://corporatewatch.org/calais-border-profiteers-update-june-2019/

The “adjacent police station” willl be the large complex south-east of Cité Europe. It is referred to as the "Centre de Rétention Administrative” and its location is shown by the red marker on the attachment below. Its GPS co-ordinates are 50°55'51.8"N 1°48'42.0”E or 50.931045, 1.811676

1990310185_centrederetention.png.878eded5be02c3736ad33306ae4541d3.png

Crossed last night Ijmuiden to Newcastle, security at Ijmuiden pretty normal, loosely checked the van inside, had to be shown how to open the door to the rear bedroom, and again no interest in the garage.

Newcastle this morning, security only wanted to know whether I had locked the van the day before, and had I checked it this morning. I said no other than got in and driven off the ferry, we did a full search including the garage, was not asked the usual, firearms knives etc. questions so think its obviously only illegal imigrants that they are looking for, they were checking all vehicles.

Was there 4 nights ago and was told to move by 10 oclock so we went to the free aire at Wissant 12 minutes down the road.

Before we were asked to move we parked up and started to have a bite to eat when two lads came in through the passenger door before realising we were sitting there. I dont know who was more scared after I screamed at them to "go away" - them or the missus.

We were in two minds whether to move on after that episode but the guards made our minds up for us.

Archived