Schengen Zone

weldted

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-12-18 6:31 PM

flyboyprowler - 2019-12-18 6:23 PM...……………...Many thanks for the answer Brian. It appears that Spain have a similar system to France and the cost is €60 but it doesn't make it clear if the "retirees" section is for residency, or indeed what the tax situation will be. I shall contact the embassy when I get back as they issue the visa. As you say, too complicated to make a judgement at the moment.

Ainsley

Don't forget to check whether that visa is accepted outside Spain - unless you only intend to take direct ferries.

Prolly best to wait until we have left ;-) .........and Spain clarifies its position re us folk who wish to spends 1000's in their economy :D ...........

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all.

I've looked into this in some detail from the PoV of a UK citizen living full-time in France, so perhaps I can help a little bit (insofar as anyone knows anything for sure!)

First, it's not so much that no-one bothered to enforce Schengen up to now, as that it didn't legally apply. Because EU Freedom of Movement "outranks" Schengen, so citizens of an EU member State which isn't in Schengen can't be held to the 90/180 rules. Leaving the EU, on whatever terms, will remove that protection - unless the UK does a total U-turn and agrees to keep FoM!

Second, for those non-Schengen citizens who live (legally and officially) in a Schengen country, time spent in that country doesn't count towards the 90 day rule. The clock only starts ticking when we enter ANOTHER Schengen country.

(Now the quick ones will have spotted the problem there: with open borders within Schengen, how is that going to be enforced? Will border posts be re-opened, just to catch resident Brits leaving their country of residence? I doubt it! But who knows?)

Third, those who currently live "50:50" (whether in a motorhome or a holiday home) will have a real problem: I can't see any legal way they'll be able to continue doing this - even if their "other" country DOES want their money - because it's about laws and international treaties. I hope the negotiations on the "future relationship" produce an answer to this, but it may not be a high priority for the UK government, whose big priority seems to be to reduce EU immigration. However, let's wait and see.

Interesting post, that's what I always assumed, the Schengen agreement was a sub set of the overall freedom of movement regulations for eu citizens.

The point is that governments nowadays don't need to check your movements at border points any more.

Every time you buy fuel, food, use your phone or get cash, your position is flagged up on line.

If we annoy the eu with a stupid no deal, big brother is watching you.

Archived