Driving in EU after Jan 31st 2020

John52

witzend - 2019-12-30 8:27 AM

John52 - 2019-12-21 7:15 AM So what are we going to need?

A crystal ball

So far, this is the only useful answer.

The bottom line is Nobody knows for sure, lots of educated guesswork given, but that's all it is.

Barryd999 - 2019-12-24 2:32 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-24 2:17 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-24 12:14 PM

This is the text of the Comfort Insurance email I received recently

Brexit update

We are not currently charging a fee to issue Green Cards. However, depending upon the outcome of Brexit negotiations and the stance of underwriters/regulators, there may be a charge after 31st January 2020.

I'd take that as a given they will eventually slap a charge on! Be interesting to see if other companies follow suit but they should pass any charges on to those that voted for it and dish 'em out foc to those that didn't!! ;-)

Surely those that voted for this shambles will not be going off to spend months touring EU countries. they will be propping up the UK economy and spending their money in Skegness or Sarfend on sea wont they? (lol)

We sure will, but hardly 'Sarfend or Skegness' more like Barra or Orkney, and lots of beautiful places in between like the Lake District , the North Yorkshire Moors or the Cambrian Mountains plenty of lovely destinations in the UK without getting visas or passports. Each to their own choices.

Barryd999 - 2019-12-24 2:32 PM

Surely those that voted for this shambles will not be going off to spend months touring EU countries. they will be propping up the UK economy and spending their money in Skegness or Sarfend on sea wont they? (lol)

And have a extra days Public Holiday UK's Independence Day will be 31st Jan

I've come across this link to FACTUAL information that relates to this thread.

Bear in mind, the UK isn't part of the Schengen zone, but while we're in the EU Single Market, the latter's rules "outrank" the Schengen ones,, which is why none of this has applied to us up to now.

Remember, too, that although the "future relationship" is still unclear, the government has made a big point of the fact that it DOES intend that we leave the Single Market.

Therefore everything in this link will apply to British citizens, unless the government changes its mind and goes for an EFTA/EEA model, which would allow us to stay pretty much as we are.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

Tony Jones - 2019-12-30 5:01 PM

Bear in mind, the UK isn't part of the Schengen zone, but while we're in the EU Single Market, the latter's rules "outrank" the Schengen ones,, which is why none of this has applied to us up to now.

Remember, too, that although the "future relationship" is still unclear, the government has made a big point of the fact that it DOES intend that we leave the Single Market.

Therefore everything in this link will apply to British citizens, unless the government changes its mind and goes for an EFTA/EEA model, which would allow us to stay pretty much as we are.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/[/QUOte]

Good morning,

I regard the (schengenvisainfo.com) as a scam.

Tony Jones - 2019-12-30 5:01 PM

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

If this link will work for you, it will take you direct to an EU Commission document entitled: "Questions and Answers – the rights of EU and UK citizens, as outlined in the Withdrawal Agreement". https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/2018-11-26_qa_citizens_rights_en_0.pdf

The link is from a Guardian article (updated 31 December '19) on "10 things UK citizens can still do in the EU after 31 January". The article is here: https://tinyurl.com/s2ge3rk and their link to the above document is at "10. Know your rights and benefits for 2020".

The Guardian article acknowledges that the Withdrawal Agreement referred to in the document is the 2018 Teresa May agreement, but goes on the say that the document remains extant. I do not know where the Guardian obtained that assurance! :-)

The opening statement of the document says:

"This document provides information on the rights of EU citizens in the UK, and UK nationals in the EU, as set out in Part Two of the Withdrawal Agreement, and published jointly by the EU and the UK on 14 November 2018.1 This present document is for information purposes only.

Please note that the Withdrawal Agreement needs to be ratified by both the UK and the EU for its entry into force."

It confirms that Brexit day (the day on which the UK will formally leave the EU) is 31 January 2020, and that we then enter the transition period during which certain features of EU membership will remain in force until the new relationship is formally ratified by UK and EU: presently intended to be 31 December 2020. Insofar as those features involve the movement and rights of citizens of the EU and the UK, they are set out, with examples, in the document.

Section 5 is probably that relevant to UK visitors to EU states, but do note the rider to that section, which states: "Entry rules to the UK for other EU citizens (those who have not resided in the UK at the end of the transition period) and to the EU for UK nationals fall outside the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement." Make of that what you will. :-D

So there you all are. It is all crystal clear, no? :-D

spospe - 2019-12-29 12:22 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-24 7:03 PM

Day tripper booze cruises will become history.

As we will no longer be in the EU, surely the, 'duty free' allowance should be restored? As I remember duty free added up to something like £70 of beer per person per crossing (in addition there was a wine / spirit / fortified wine allowance). At the time of the loss of duty free, Fosters Lager was just about one third of the UK supermarket price when bought at the Euro Tunnel shop.

I remember seeing vans leaving the terminal with their headlights pointing to the sky.

Duty free was actually abolished on July 1st 1999;

After 30 June 1999, you can no longer buy "duty-frees" (duty-free or tax free goods) on journeys within the European Union (EU). VAT and duty are included in the price. This means there are no limits any more on how much you can buy, as long as it’s for your own use. Duty-frees are still available to travellers to and from other countries.

You will find a research briefings pdf file under Duty-Free shopping - Parliament UK.

I've bolded the important 'bit' as this is where many Brits get confused. As EU members we were allowed to buy as indicated above but HMRC tried to implement limits and issued Notice 1 leaflets which indicated the amounts as "guidelines". That bit being important as that's all it was....a guideline to what HMRC deemed appropriate per person and folk began to see that as "limits" which it wasn't as long as whatever you bought was for personal use only.

The current guidance levels are: 800 cigarettes, 400 cigarillos, 200 cigars, 1kg of smoking tobacco, 10 litres of spirits, 20 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), 90 litres of wine (of which not more than 60 litres can be sparkling wine) and 110 litres of beer.

If for personal use only you can (at the moment) buy whatever you want. I expect once we become third country status that benefit will disappear as HMRC crack the whip and make the guidelines "max limits" as it can easily be done.

The reason i said "day tripper booze cruises will become history" is they already have. Just over the French-Belgium border at a small village, Adinkerke, was always the favoured spot for Brit day trippers to stock up on booze and baccy. But over the years since UK gov began complaining to the Belgian gov to increase their prices, business there has been badly affected and where the streets used to be lined with UK registered cars and coaches, now there are hardly any. I always tanked up with fuel at Adinkerke before returning back to UK as it's cheaper than France and last year i saw no UK reg vehicles shopping....they've all gone. Apart from French living near the border, the only British customers are those living close to Dover port. Anyone living north of London may just as well buy their booze and baccy from a local supermarket.

The only countries Brits can (could) make serious savings are much further afield......Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

Geeco - 2019-12-30 12:11 AM

spospe - 2019-12-29 11:22 AM
Bulletguy - 2019-12-24 7:03 PMDay tripper booze cruises will become history.
As we will no longer be in the EU, surely the, 'duty free' allowance should be restored? As I remember duty free added up to something like £70 of beer per person per crossing (in addition there was a wine / spirit / fortified wine allowance). At the time of the loss of duty free, Fosters Lager was just about one third of the UK supermarket price when bought at the Euro Tunnel shop.I remember seeing vans leaving the terminal with their headlights pointing to the sky.

Those activities are not exclusive to the channel. The ferry from Puttgarden in the north of Germany is used as a day-tripper booze cruise back to Denmark also. I was amazed that the Danes & Swedes could carry so much and still manage to not drag the rear end off their cars on the ferry ramp. cheers,

Hi Gary,

Denmark, Sweden and Finland, alcohol is seriously expensive so for them, booze in any EU country is mega cheap whatever the price.

'Duty free' from the Euro Tunnel terminal was cheaper than buying beer / lager in a Calais supermarket. The relative costs of popular largers to the UK supermarket price was such that 'Duty free' cost about one third the UK price and a French supermarket cost about a half. Everyone tanked up on 'Duty free' before crossing (in both directions).

The loss of 'Duty free' closed the UK travelers shop at the tunnel entrance, so perhaps it will come back if 'Duty free' is reinstated?

The UK and Ireland decimalised their respective currencies in 1971, with Ireland continuing to use the Irish Pound until 1999 when that country adopted the euro.

I worked for the Post Office from 1962 to 1968 and I well recall how difficult the £sd currency made financial calculations. It wasn’t just pounds, shillings and pence, as there were other coins (half-penny, florin and half-crown) that were legal tender then too.

Barclaycard introduced a UK credit-card in 1966 and had a monopoly until 1972. UK on-line banking began in the 1990s. The historic £sd system would have seriously complicated writing the type of software that underlies the everyday UK financial transactions/calculations that people take for granted nowadays.

None of the above, of course, has any relevance to driving in the EU post-Brexit.

.....yet strangely, it does.

There is still a nostalgia for the old days when we had our £, s, d, our cwt's, lbs, oz's and the foreigners looked up to the the British Empire.

We even won the Eurovision song contest!

It has been difficult for that generation to accept the reality of the decline of Britain's influence and importance. Hence the acceptance of the false claims of the Brexit campaign, leading to the very narrow vote to go it alone.

When we get to National Humiliation Day in January, when we have to follow eu regulations without any say in their implementation, we will have to do as we are told when driving on the European mainland.

I

Denmark, Sweden and Finland, alcohol is seriously expensive so for them, booze in any EU country is mega cheap whatever the price.

Sweden's booze prices are not so bad these days since they joined the EU. I picked up a bottle of Gordon's gin (700ml) yesterday for £20 and the Aussie red 19 Crimes was a pound cheaper than in the UK at £8 a bottle. The problem is anything over 3.5% alcohol has to be sold in a Government run store so no competition. We always stop at the border stores on the way back however as usually the family finds out and places their orders hence the steering in the van is always much lighter on the return trip back to Sweden ; )

Archived