Oven and grill?

pusscat

Hi all,

We have an Aspire 2 which has a fairly useless grill.

Can anyone recommend an oven / grill replacement at all?

Don’t mind a combined oven grill as long as the grill actually works as a grill, the oven has a thermostat and the hob has at least 3 burners!

Thanks for your comments in anticipation!

pusscat

I’m guessing that you own an Elddis Aspire motorhome, but these usually have a 3-figure model number (215, 240, etc.) not just “2”. It might also be useful to learn your motorhome’s year of manufacture as, if it’s known what cooking equipment is fitted at present, suggesting a replacement oven/grill should be easier.

The oven side is ok...has some good stuffed chicken creations out of it but the grill, even with preheating and putting breadboards under the grill plate, leaves a lot to be desired! I looked at the price of the thin* new and these are not cheap!!

I notice that the Aspire 2 cooker has three gas-burners plus a 230V 800W hotplate, and that the appliance’s depth is quite shallow.

It’s generally acknowledged that the capability of the gas grills of caravan/motorhome appliances is likely to be uninspiring and there are plenty of on-line complaints about this. This 2010 discussion is one example

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Smev-Grill-grrrrrrrr-/19897/

I don’t think replacing the Aspire 2 with anything else that would be suitable for use in a motorhome would guarantee better grilling and not sacrifice aspects of the Aspire 2 that you are happy with or are useful (eg. the low wattage hotplate) I did wonder if a Belling 60G ‘domestic’ oven might be a potential replacement, as this has an electric grill, but it’s deeper than the Aspire and might not work properly on propane gas.

Can’t you improve the performance of your Aspire’s grill as suggested in the 2010 thread, or pehaps work around the issue by using a portable gas grill?

https://www.muziker.co.uk/brightspark-barbegrill

Replacing a ‘dual fuel’ oven that’s intended for use in a leisure vehicle and that Swift has integrated into the layout of the Rio would be a big (and expensive) step merely to gain better grilling.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the link Derek.

I will have a fiddle and see what I can come up with. The thermocouple to keep the grill on has now suddenly stopped working ( five mins holding in the gas knob and still it won’t stay lit) so i’ll Also look at the position of the heat plate the flame plays over as well!

We had our Thetford grill replaced with a Thetford combined grill and oven, easy job. But wish we'd thought first about what we needed an oven for - so far we've only used it for pizzas once, which works out very costly for a rather over-rated meal. Grill for sale if anyone is interested!

Peter, we normally cook toast in a toaster however when not on ehu the grill is the best option. The first time it seemed to take forever to cook the toast. So I experimented with placing a spacer under the grill tray to move the toast up closer to the gas flame. Bingo toast cooked fast with out drying it out. If slow toasting is your problem that is the solution. Cheers,

Archived