2003 Fiat Ducato - Clutch oddity

Merle

Hi all, I have a 2003 Autocruise Wentworth fitted with the 2.8jtd engine. 40k miles. After driving about 15 miles today I went to change gear and the clutch pedal stayed down but had disengaged the drive. I could manually lift the pedal but there was no return pressure. Whilst waiting for recovery I tried the pedal again 20/30 mins, and it appeared to be fine. We waited for recovery and after being unloaded drove into my parking space without issue! Any ideas please

Hi Merle would expect it to be slave cylinder seals?

Get yourself registered on the Fiat forum .com

Once joined look for section Fiat commercial , then ducato, once there save it to favourites makes it easier next time, they are very helpful

Best snail.

This 2008 forum thread discusses what sounds like a similar issue.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fiat-clutch-pedal/10390/

and there was a (sort of) follow-up to this in 2011

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Peugeot-Clutch-Pedal/22775/

The likelihood (as was suggested in the 2008 forum thread and by snail above) is that the culprit for Merle’s clutch-pedal problem is the clutch slave-cylinder.

As his Autocruise motorhome is 16 years old (and replacement of the cylinder is apparently not too difficult) fitting a new slave-cylinder would be the logical approach, together with replacing the brake/clutch hydraulic fluid if this has not been done since 2017.

I had a similar issue (same age of vehicle), intermittently the clutch pedal would not fully return – usually after a lot of use. Hooking it up again would resolve the issue for another month or two.

The slave cylinder was changed (an easy job as it’s on the outside of the gearbox) and that resolved the issue. I was advised that if the issue persisted then to change the master cylinder (ie the one in the cab under the pedal) as well.

Also check for anything that could snag the clutch pedal – ie carpet etc. Unlikely but not unheard of.

snail - 2019-12-28 8:55 AMHi Merle would expect it to be slave cylinder seals?Get yourself registered on the Fiat forum .comOnce joined look for section Fiat commercial , then ducato, once there save it to favourites makes it easier next time, they are very helpfulBest snail.

Thanks Bri, I'll do that

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-28 9:21 AMThis 2008 forum thread discusses what sounds like a similar issue. https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fiat-clutch-pedal/10390/ and there was a (sort of) follow-up to this in https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Peugeot-Clutch-Pedal/22775/ The likelihood (as was suggested in the 2008 forum thread and by snail above) is that the culprit for Merle’s clutch-pedal problem is the clutch slave-cylinder. As his Autocruise motorhome is 16 years old (and replacement of the cylinder is apparently not too difficult) fitting a new slave-cylinder would be the logical approach, together with replacing the brake/clutch hydraulic fluid if this has not been done since 2017.

Thanks for the info. I had tried the Mr Google method before posting but he let me down!! My problem now is my ideal mechanic of choice is 60 miles away, dare I take the chance and try to drive to him?

Doh senior moment Merle yours is a Pug, mind you same lump and box

Driving it depends on the route if in town then could be a problem the more you use it, probaly fluid passing the seal so pressure equals out each side of the piston, when unused for a while the pressure will drop enough for the spring to return the piston in the cylinder, which is why you could drive it when unloaded from the recovery truck.

Can you use recovery again if you have to? Where would you take it

At least the slave cylinder is external, later ones inside the bell housing!

Archived