IH 630 R/L

sandalwood

Hi

On way back home after stop, windscreen and side windows misted up. Usually put fan on number 1 but had to put on number 2 to clear. Thought might be problem with heat exchange. No drop in water level, no water in engine, no water under dashboard inside. Never happened before. Do I put down to “ one of those things” or is their a specific test I can do? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Ian

Assuming you've an X250 or X290, then it is in the centre of the dash, behind the central glove box (or central cup holders if so fitted) and then behind a further panel.

It's a simple job made much more difficult by the access (though the panels are relatively easy to remove and replace other than manoeuvring space). Having a double-jointed dwarf on hand would help.

Service technicians hate doing them.

There are, of course, other reasons for misting up, but if the filter hasn't been done, it is a good suspect. I had a Ford Mondeo once that decided to misbehave in a similar manner. Managed to get home on a long drive using the heated windscreen! Fixed immediately by a new pollen filter.

Should you decide you want to have a go, then there are some good illustrative links on the web. I can post some later, though the best might be in German. (The pictures need no translation)

Edited to add:

Another prime suspect is that the air distribution has been moved to "recirc" rather than external intake - over time the humidity builds up inside, and doesn't escape.

I have to say that, if, once the "fog" had cleared you could revert to standard, low fan use and it didn't reappear, then I'd put it down to atmospheric conditions, which have been challenging over the last few weeks.

If the screen fogs up, and can't be kept clear except by permanent upping of the fan speed, then I'd check the suggestions so far out..

...given that, I suspect what you experienced was probably normal.

I'd only worry about the heating/ventilation system if it proves impossible to clear the screen after some time, or if the screen re-fogs in use once it has cleared, and with the ventilation fan turned to low.

Ian’s motorhome is 2012-vintage, so based on a Fiat Ducato X250 and, consequently, should have a large central hinge-down storage compartment with the pollen-filter inconveniently buried behind it.

Changing the pollen filter of earlier Ducato X250s MAY be simpler than changing the filter of a Ducato X290 that has a similar storage compartment. There’s relevant information (X250 and X290) about the task in this 2018 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X290-pollen-filter-change/50031/

I very much doubt there is any fault. The current weather is very humid although relatively cold. If you park up with heating on for 45 minutes then moisture in the warm air inside the van is going to condense readily onto the cold cab window glass.

Had the same issue with my wife's car a few days ago when starting it late at night after the temperature had dropped significantly. Humidity has been over 90% here for much of the time over the last several days.

Archived