Call the Cops!!!!

Barryd999

Birdbrain - 2020-01-09 7:05 PM

Fast Pat - 2020-01-09 6:43 PM

As I've said to you previously I saw a lot of punk first time around at the Rock Garden, including Penetration, Upstarts, Proles, SLF etc etc.

The one concert that I missed and always regretted was the Ramones at City Hall, I had a ticket but missed the fecking train!

Just because you have to make do with the bad cover versions ......

Ive seen the Pistols sweet cheeks at Brixton Academy , seen PIL , seen God knows how many more bands of all genres than you ... Classical thorough to punk Ive seen it princess ... I can give you a list of my gigs already booked in for this year if you like , I know you like to keep tabs on me sugar plum

What in 2007 - I was there! You could have spilt my pint because some wannabe punk did, even you would have to admit that thirty years on they were well past their sell by date, even they said it was just for the money?

Fast Pat - 2020-01-09 7:24 PM

As I've said to you previously I saw a lot of punk first time around at the Rock Garden, including Penetration, Upstarts, Proles, SLF etc etc.

The one concert that I missed and always regretted was the Ramones at City Hall, I had a ticket but missed the fecking train!

Ive seen the Pistols sweet cheeks at Brixton Academy , seen PIL , seen God knows how many more bands of all genres than you ... Classical thorough to punk Ive seen it princess ... I can give you a list of my gigs already booked in for this year if you like , I know you like to keep tabs on me sugar plum

What in 2007 - I was there! You could have spilt my pint because some wannabe punk did, even you would have to admit that thirty years on they were well past their sell by date, even they said it was just for the money?

If you didn't know or still dont know it was always "just for the money" your more of a tool than I thought and youve been swindled ...

... Im on that link

Birdbrain - 2020-01-09 7:36 PM

If you didn't know or still dont know it was always "just for the money" your more of a tool than I thought and youve been swindled ...

... Im on that link

For McLaren it was always about the money, for the band, like most bands, it was for the buzz, the benefits of fame - sex, drink and drugs. And the opportunity to take the piss out of everything.

Fast Pat - 2020-01-09 8:18 PM

... Im on that link

For McLaren it was always about the money, for the band, like most bands, it was for the buzz, the benefits of fame - sex, drink and drugs. And the opportunity to take the piss out of everything.

Money was at the heart of it for all the pistols ... John Lydon bas made a lucrative long career out of playing Jonny Rotten ... A mate of mine later on this year is going to a chat tour hes doing and him and his missus have paid £85.00 each for meet and greets with the fella

Birdbrain - 2020-01-10 6:18 AM

... Im on that link

Money was at the heart of it for all the pistols ... John Lydon bas made a lucrative long career out of playing Jonny Rotten ... A mate of mine later on this year is going to a chat tour hes doing and him and his missus have paid £85.00 each for meet and greets with the fella

Yes, now money is at the heart of it, how else can they get to a grand old age without taking on a proper job. But in the early days they just wanted a laugh, that's why they didn't know McLaren was ripping them off. In 1986 when McLaren caved in and surrendered the rights they got a million between them, including Sid's mother - not that much each. There's a reason McLaren died in Switzerland and Jonny sells butter.

I'm not saying that the 2007 set wasn't entertaining, but it didn't compare to the early days and the energy in the room from a load of gobbing youngsters, a bunch of middle aged men can only jump up and down for so long, sadly.

Fast Pat - 2020-01-10 8:22 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-01-10 6:18 AM

... Im on that link

Yes, now money is at the heart of it, how else can they get to a grand old age without taking on a proper job. But in the early days they just wanted a laugh, that's why they didn't know McLaren was ripping them off. In 1986 when McLaren caved in and surrendered the rights they got a million between them, including Sid's mother - not that much each. There's a reason McLaren died in Switzerland and Jonny sells butter.

I'm not saying that the 2007 set wasn't entertaining, but it didn't compare to the early days and the energy in the room from a load of gobbing youngsters, a bunch of middle aged men can only jump up and down for so long, sadly.

Totally get that the vibe inside the 2007 and 77 gigs were different and as you say those earlier gigs defo would have the edge on later gigs ... My brother was at the pistols last UK gig at Ivanhoes in Huddersfield , many claim to have been there but he was

Take no notice of Mr Birdbrain. The only bands he has ever been to see are The Village People and The Pet Shop boys and the only reason he went to see the latter was because he thought they were John Noakes and Peter Purves.

Some of us are proper Rock Gods on here. Well actually I think its just me. (lol)

Best venue for seeing bands used to be the old Riverside in Newcastle. Best and funniest punk gig I saw there was 999. They had a bit of a reputation for attracting "lively" audiences and I remember this skinhead climbing to the top of the speaker stack to do a dive into the audience and everyone just moving out of the way. There was a already an ambulance on standby outside luckily.

You haven't been to a proper gig though until you have seen Hawkwind and Devo play live off the back of a flat bed truck in the now long banned Travellers field at Glastonbury at 3am.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-10 1:04 PM

Take no notice of Mr Birdbrain. The only bands he has ever been to see are The Village People and The Pet Shop boys and the only reason he went to see the latter was because he thought they were John Noakes and Peter Purves.

Some of us are proper Rock Gods on here. Well actually I think its just me. (lol)

Best venue for seeing bands used to be the old Riverside in Newcastle. Best and funniest punk gig I saw there was 999. They had a bit of a reputation for attracting "lively" audiences and I remember this skinhead climbing to the top of the speaker stack to do a dive into the audience and everyone just moving out of the way. There was a already an ambulance on standby outside luckily.

You haven't been to a proper gig though until you have seen Hawkwind and Devo play live off the back of a flat bed truck in the now long banned Travellers field at Glastonbury at 3am.

Now I would have loved to see Devo.

I saw a couple of bands at the Riverside but in the late 80's (lass I was going out with was a Geordie) I did see Martin Stephenson and the Daintees there do an amazing set including a full congo round the outside - true crowd participation.

Oh i don't know Barry....it's been a welcome break (albeit temporary!) to see him changing tune for once! Doh....poor pun but fitting! :D

Punk was never my kind of music but then neither was jazz. Each to their own really.

Fast Pat - 2020-01-10 1:27 PM

Now I would have loved to see Devo.

I saw a couple of bands at the Riverside but in the late 80's (lass I was going out with was a Geordie) I did see Martin Stephenson and the Daintees there do an amazing set including a full congo round the outside - true crowd participation.

The Travellers field was a real experience back in the late 80s. I think it was stopped in 91. Basically in the few days before the main festival got going you walked down a track late on about quarter of a mile or so from the main festival and it was what can only be likened to something like Barter Town out of the Mad Max films. no rozzers, no rules and you wouldnt want to be there sober. You never knew who was going to be on, there would just be rumours and hearsay then out of the blue you had bands like Hawkwind just sparking up on the back the temporary stage which was an old flat bed truck.

Last time I Was there was 1990 I think and there is a photo of me somewhere just covered in mud from head to toe. I dont think we even got back to our tents that night. Glasto looks totally lame now in comparison.

Bulletguy - 2020-01-10 2:01 PM

Oh i don't know Barry....it's been a welcome break (albeit temporary!) to see him changing tune for once! Doh....poor pun but fitting! :D

Punk was never my kind of music but then neither was jazz. Each to their own really.

I was never a massive punk fan either really. The Stranglers and the Clash were pretty cool though and could actually play some decent music. Combat Rock (Album) by the Clash is one of my favourite albums of all time. I got more into guitar and keys music and new wave though really. Tubeway army was probably my favourite group ever and bands like The Cure and the Cult. A mixture of guitars and synths.

One of the best live bands I ever saw was "Big Country". They were absolutely brilliant live.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-10 4:03 PM

I was never a massive punk fan either really. The Stranglers and the Clash were pretty cool though and could actually play some decent music. Combat Rock (Album) by the Clash is one of my favourite albums of all time. I got more into guitar and keys music and new wave though really. Tubeway army was probably my favourite group ever and bands like The Cure and the Cult. A mixture of guitars and synths.

One of the best live bands I ever saw was "Big Country". They were absolutely brilliant live.

Great band ,never saw them,could never understand why he committed suicide.

jumpstart - 2020-01-10 4:59 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-01-10 4:03 PM

Great band ,never saw them,could never understand why he committed suicide.

I Think he fell off the wagon and went missing. nobody knew where he was until he turned up dead in Hawaii. Hung himself drunk in a hotel room apparently. Very tragic and sad.

Archived