WTF?.......BBC.......

Guest pelmetman

Birdbrain - 2020-01-11 7:10 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-10 10:33 PM

pelmetman - 2020-01-10 6:29 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-10 6:16 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-09 10:10 PM...............….It seems more like you're clinging to the hope Spanish authorities don't rumble your ruse and boot you out......unless the UK border force gets itself into gear first and ends your shenanigans.

Ahem :-) Schengenanigans? :-D

Ahem :-) ..........No evidence of the Russian's, Moroccan's, Algerian's, Armenian's, Peruvian's or any other Non EU Non Schengen citizens being rounded up and deported :-D .........

Unlike you, none of the above voted to end their freedom of movement.

Short memory?

pelmetman - 2016-04-29 10:30 AM

If it means we leave the EU, then I'll be more than happy to accept a 90 day restriction on my European touring B-) ..........

Crikey so because David voted leave the Spanish fuzz are guna do him over , rough him up and kick him out but they aint guna touch all those others David lists ... Racists

No Anthony you're being very silly and treating a serious matter with your usual contempt. Ignoring the hyperbole and gangsta slingo, consequences can range from a fine to deportation.

But as Dave clearly said three years ago, if we leave the EU he's "more than happy to accept a 90 day restriction", i'm not sure why he now doesn't seem so happy to abide by that.

pelmetman - 2020-01-11 8:24 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-09 10:10 PM...............….It seems more like you're clinging to the hope Spanish authorities don't rumble your ruse and boot you out......unless the UK border force gets itself into gear first and ends your shenanigans.

Ahem :-) ..........No evidence of the Russian's, Moroccan's, Algerian's, Armenian's, Peruvian's or any other Non EU Non Schengen citizens being rounded up and deported :-D .........

Nope..... we voted to be treated the same as the other 168 countries in the world B-) ..........

There are 195 countries in the world.......so which 168 did you "vote to be treated the same as"? :-S

If they can afford property, they can get residency, and can stay as long as a Spanish visa permits. Ditto if they are working. All within Schengen/EU rules. However, I'm assuming you are visiting as a third country tourist and will be subject to the rules that cover tourists?

If so, and unless you can gain a long term Schengen visa, you will be subject to the 90 days in 180 days rule, your passport will be date stamped on entry to Schengen and if, when you leave, you have spent more than 90 days in the Schengen area you will be liable to sanctions at that point.

Now, either you have looked all this up for yourself, so know it already, and are merely wasting everyone else's time, or you haven't. If you haven't, good luck!

You should be OK returning this spring, as you'll be unlikely to have spend more than 90 days in Schengen from 31 January (when we leave) - but your passport may be (no one seems to know) date stamped to indicate entry on 1 Feb and exit on whenever date, to indicate how much time you will by then have spent in Schengen as a third country tourist, which will be taken into account if you return within 90 days of exiting, so limiting your next stay to 90 days minus that amount. Just bear in mind that it is time spent in Schengen that counts, and not just the time spent in Spain.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-01-11 7:28 PM

If they can afford property, they can get residency, and can stay as long as a Spanish visa permits.

I doubt the Looky Looky folk from Non Schengen African Nations can afford to rent, let alone purchase a property :-| ........

P1010992.JPG.77ce0e93524c59f4ffefad5728f9f9dd.JPG

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-01-11 3:37 PM

pelmetman - 2020-01-11 8:24 AM

Nope..... we voted to be treated the same as the other 168 countries in the world B-) ..........

There are 195 countries in the world.......so which 168 did you "vote to be treated the same as"? :-S

167 + 28 = 195 ;-) ..........

I'd rather be In with the Out crowd B-) .........

Don't like cliques >:-) ......

If they can afford property, they can get residency, and can stay as long as a Spanish visa permits. Ditto if they are working. All within Schengen/EU rules. However, I'm assuming you are visiting as a third country tourist and will be subject to the rules that cover tourists?

If so, and unless you can gain a long term Schengen visa, you will be subject to the 90 days in 180 days rule, your passport will be date stamped on entry to Schengen and if, when you leave, you have spent more than 90 days in the Schengen area you will be liable to sanctions at that point.

Now, either you have looked all this up for yourself, so know it already, and are merely wasting everyone else's time, or you haven't. If you haven't, good luck!

You should be OK returning this spring, as you'll be unlikely to have spend more than 90 days in Schengen from 31 January (when we leave) - but your passport may be (no one seems to know) date stamped to indicate entry on 1 Feb and exit on whenever date, to indicate how much time you will by then have spent in Schengen as a third country tourist, which will be taken into account if you return within 90 days of exiting, so limiting your next stay to 90 days minus that amount. Just bear in mind that it is time spent in Schengen that counts, and not just the time spent in Spain.

I thought during the transition period nothing changed Brian. We are still effectively in the EU until December 31 2020 is how I understood it so throughout 2020 I think we still have freedom of movement unless something has changed.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-01-12 9:25 AM

I thought during the transition period nothing changed Brian. We are still effectively in the EU until December 31 2020 is how I understood it so throughout 2020 I think we still have freedom of movement unless something has changed.

Correct ;-) ........

But what HAS changed is Boris can now negotiate terms with the EU without being stabbed in the back by Remoaners >:-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2020-01-12 9:25 AM

Hi Barry

Have a look at the following, and follow the links in it:

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-31 1:35 PM ....................

If this link will work for you, it will take you direct to an EU Commission document entitled: "Questions and Answers – the rights of EU and UK citizens, as outlined in the Withdrawal Agreement". https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/2018-11-26_qa_citizens_rights_en_0.pdf

The link is from a Guardian article (updated 31 December '19) on "10 things UK citizens can still do in the EU after 31 January". The article is here: https://tinyurl.com/s2ge3rk and their link to the above document is at "10. Know your rights and benefits for 2020".

The Guardian article acknowledges that the Withdrawal Agreement referred to in the document is the 2018 Teresa May agreement, but goes on the say that the document remains extant. I do not know where the Guardian obtained that assurance! :-)

The opening statement of the document says:

"This document provides information on the rights of EU citizens in the UK, and UK nationals in the EU, as set out in Part Two of the Withdrawal Agreement, and published jointly by the EU and the UK on 14 November 2018.1 This present document is for information purposes only.

Please note that the Withdrawal Agreement needs to be ratified by both the UK and the EU for its entry into force."

It confirms that Brexit day (the day on which the UK will formally leave the EU) is 31 January 2020, and that we then enter the transition period during which certain features of EU membership will remain in force until the new relationship is formally ratified by UK and EU: presently intended to be 31 December 2020. Insofar as those features involve the movement and rights of citizens of the EU and the UK, they are set out, with examples, in the document.

Section 5 is probably that relevant to UK visitors to EU states, but do note the rider to that section, which states: "Entry rules to the UK for other EU citizens (those who have not resided in the UK at the end of the transition period) and to the EU for UK nationals fall outside the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement." Make of that what you will. :-D

So there you all are. It is all crystal clear, no? :-D

Pay particular attention to the above referenced Section 5 of the Rights of EU and UK citizens, and note the bold above, which says that non-resident UK nationals are "outside the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement".

In effect, there are no transition arrangements for UK nationals without residency in an EU country travelling purely for tourism, as "third country" nationals, within the Withdrawal Agreement, so as I read that, as Brexit is 31 Jan 2020, the normal rules for third country nationals will have immediate effect as from 1 Feb 2020 - meaning that the 90 days within 180 days rule will also have immediate effect from that date. As there are a variety of sanctions that can be applied to "overstayers" from that date, I think it is worth taking seriously. I have so far sought further or better guidance from ABTA, who appear to me to be saying the same, from DexEU (who have not replied), and from a SE region MEP (who has also not replied).

It now seems clear that, providing we meet the provisos in the EU agreement on UK going onto the list of countries that do not require actual Schengen visas to enter the EU/Schengen, we shall go onto that list, meaning that only a passport stamp will be required, both entering and leaving, and those stamps will be taken as the basis for counting the 90 days.

Last thing, I'm now reasonably confident that "Brexit Day" is 31 January 2020 - that is to say it is the day on which we officially leave the EU's institutions and then enter the transition period as a "third country".

So, first we leave, after which we retain only those "rights" as are included in the Withdrawal Agreement - so we are at that point outside the EU while retaining only those defined rights.

That is not the same, as I read it, as remaining in the EU with full rights of membership applying during the transition period, and only formally leaving on 31 December 2020.

If I'm correct, and from what I have been able to unearth to date I believe I am, as tourist travel is not covered in the Withdrawal Agreement, the 90 days in 180 days rule must begin to apply on 1 February 2020.

Having said all of that, it is extremely difficult to get clarity from anywhere on exactly happens when, and to whom! You might think, as all of this is derived from various International Treaties, that the legal event that denotes Brexit Day would be clearly stated, so that there can be no doubt as to our actual, legal, date of departure and everyone contemplating travel can know exactly where they stand.

Well thats just feckin marvellous if your correct. I was hoping to get a new van and do a long tour this year and to say sorry to thousands of Europeans for us being total wamkers with Brexit. Thats that ruined then. There is always the illegal immigrant option I suppose. I could test the water for Dave and see if I get fined or deported. I wonder if any Brexiteers would offer to chip in with the fines if I do.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-12 1:04 PM

Well thats just feckin marvellous if your correct. I was hoping to get a new van and do a long tour this year and to say sorry to thousands of Europeans for us being total wamkers with Brexit. Thats that ruined then. There is always the illegal immigrant option I suppose. I could test the water for Dave and see if I get fined or deported. I wonder if any Brexiteers would offer to chip in with the fines if I do.

I read that pdf when Brian first posted and drew the same conclusion. Yes you could always try a few dodges aka Pelmet as long as you realise a fine or deportation will result in a marker on your passport causing problems should you attempt to return to a Schengen country. They did know they were voting for this.....didn't they? ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-01-12 4:14 PM

I read that pdf when Brian first posted and drew the same conclusion. Yes you could always try a few dodges aka Pelmet as long as you realise a fine or deportation will result in a marker on your passport causing problems should you attempt to return to a Schengen country. They did know they were voting for this.....didn't they? ;-)

If the EU decides it doesn't want my money ;-) ........

Then I'm fine with that (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

They're signing their own death warrant >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2020-01-12 6:37 PM

It's nothing at all to do with "wanting your money".....that attitude is typified by self important Little Englanders on those clips i linked who still believe we rule an Empire. *-) It's about abiding by our border laws as a third country citizen. You voted to "take back control" of our borders which also applies to you, so your hypocrite days are over. You ended your own fom.

Bulletguy - 2020-01-12 7:21 PM

It's nothing at all to do with "wanting your money".....that attitude is typified by self important Little Englanders on those clips i linked who still believe we rule an Empire. *-) It's about abiding by our border laws as a third country citizen. You voted to "take back control" of our borders which also applies to you, so your hypocrite days are over. You ended your own fom.

And everyone elses who didnt vote for it. I seriously hope there is some kind of scheme for some of us to be allowed to retain our EU citizenship. Of course it should only be open to remainers. There should be some kind of test like being shown pictures of funny foreigners. If you go all red in the face and angry you cant have FOM. (lol)

We have to be realistic. Those who travel in motorhomes are a small minority of all travellers. Those who travel for periods exceeding 90 days in any year are an even smaller minority.

I think it extremely unlikely that we shall get any special consideration, as already indicated by the omission of our existing travel arrangements from the Withdrawal Agreement.

Your few bob and mine won't make one iota of difference to the overall financial benefit from tourism.

Most folk can only do two or three weeks a year, not two or three months (or more!).

I think you're unrealistically inflating your importance as a significant element of tourism. All the other EU member states will still be able to travel for periods exceeding 90 days - it's only us Brits who won't. I doubt if anyone anywhere else will notice.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-12 10:26 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-12 7:21 PM

And everyone elses who didnt vote for it. I seriously hope there is some kind of scheme for some of us to be allowed to retain our EU citizenship. Of course it should only be open to remainers....

Ideally yes but then what self respecting Brexit patriot would even contemplate setting foot outside their beloved country.....especially to flee to an EU country? Oddly many do and appear to believe they have 'specialty' and a right to fom.

You heard the way Brexit voter Dave on that vid clip (yes the irony!) who bought a holiday home in Spain, distinguished between himself as British and what he called "proper Europeans" when asked about fom, wanted to keep his own fom so he could to and fro between his holiday home, but deny it to "proper Europeans" (to UK). Needles to say since realising he shot himself in the foot, he'd vote to remain had there been another referendum.

https://tinyurl.com/sb28dyf

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-01-13 1:19 PM

We have to be realistic. Those who travel in motorhomes are a small minority of all travellers. Those who travel for periods exceeding 90 days in any year are an even smaller minority.

I think it extremely unlikely that we shall get any special consideration, as already indicated by the omission of our existing travel arrangements from the Withdrawal Agreement.

Your few bob and mine won't make one iota of difference to the overall financial benefit from tourism.

Most folk can only do two or three weeks a year, not two or three months (or more!).

I think you're unrealistically inflating your importance as a significant element of tourism. All the other EU member states will still be able to travel for periods exceeding 90 days - it's only us Brits who won't. I doubt if anyone anywhere else will notice.

I think you are ignoring the effect a 90 day restriction will have on the Spanish holiday home market ;-) .......

Would you buy a house that you're only allowed to use for 90 in a 180 days? 8-) ........

No need, surely? I haven't looked into Spanish residency requirements, but for frequent, long term, visits, residency is one option. Another possibility is a long stay Visa, that would give them the right to stay for more than 90 days in any year. Those interviewed just seem to lack the initiative or persistence to pursue ways of legalising longer stays. Possibly the interviews were selective - who knows?

Property owners with residency/long term visas aren't subject to the 90 days in 180 rule in the country which granted their residency or visa, and in addition retain the 90 days in 180 days right throughout the rest of the EU/Schengen - irrespective of how long they've spent in that country.

I don't own any property outside the UK, don't have any long term visa, and have no present interest in obtaining either, so if I know that, why don't they? It ain't exactly PhD level stuff, is it? It's called look it up, and then read it!

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-13 4:53 PM

No need, surely? I haven't looked into Spanish residency requirements, but for frequent, long term, visits, residency is one option. Another possibility is a long stay Visa, that would give them the right to stay for more than 90 days in any year. Those interviewed just seem to lack the initiative or persistence to pursue ways of legalising longer stays. Possibly the interviews were selective - who knows?

Property owners with residency/long term visas aren't subject to the 90 days in 180 rule in the country which granted their residency or visa, and in addition retain the 90 days in 180 days right throughout the rest of the EU/Schengen - irrespective of how long they've spent in that country.

I don't own any property outside the UK, don't have any long term visa, and have no present interest in obtaining either, so if I know that, why don't they? It ain't exactly PhD level stuff, is it? It's called look it up, and then read it!

Hi Brian..

If long term/stay visas are available (and if they are simple enough to obtain?) it does make me wonder why on earth there has been all this fuss (from both sides, in fairness) re; the interrupting of travel patterns and lengths of stay of UK motor-homers....

Surely, as you say, anyone planning to stay for months in a foreign country(ies) in the future, would just need fill in the appropriate application form...?

(Or am I over simplifying the visa application process?)

pepe63 - 2020-01-14 3:31 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-13 4:53 PM

Hi Brian..

If long term/stay visas are available (and if they are simple enough to obtain?) it does make me wonder why on earth there has been all this fuss (from both sides, in fairness) re; the interrupting of travel patterns and lengths of stay of UK motor-homers....

Surely, as you say, anyone planning to stay for months in a foreign country(ies) in the future, would just need fill in the appropriate application form...?

(Or am I over simplifying the visa application process?)

Hi Pepe

I have looked at getting a French long stay visa (i.e. for stays over 90 days), and it seems it is a possibility. We have friends who already live in France and they have been granted residency so are OK.

I can't get any info from the French visa service at present, as a) they seem to be in panic mode (probably overwhelmed by the number of applications) and b) they aren't forecasting events after 31 Jan as no final decisions have yet been made as to how the UK will actually leave the EU, or when.

I know the UK media keep publicising that everything will remain the same until 31 December (which in any case is only partly true), but that depends on everything going exactly to plan in both the UK and in the rest of the EU - and we all know about that, don't we! :-D When you try to nail down specifics no-one seems willing to play at present. I'm hoping the mist will clear after 31 Jan, but I believe that one has to go to the French embassy in London in person with various documents - and one's cheque book - to get one.

Those who want residency can apply for it whenever they choose, but they can only apply to the country in which they are, or are intending to be, resident - and each country has its own rules and procedures.

Ah!..so as far as a long stay Visa is concerned, there is more to it than just filling in an application form then... (lol)

I do recall seeing a link to an online Schengen Visa application form (presumably posted on here at some point over the last few years?) but I can only assume it was only for a "standard" 90 in 180 day Visa ...

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm correct, and from what I have been able to unearth to date I believe I am, as tourist travel is not covered in the Withdrawal Agreement, the 90 days in 180 days rule must begin to apply on 1 February 2020.

Having said all of that, it is extremely difficult to get clarity from anywhere on exactly happens when, and to whom! You might think, as all of this is derived from various International Treaties, that the legal event that denotes Brexit Day would be clearly stated, so that there can be no doubt as to our actual, legal, date of departure and everyone contemplating travel can know exactly where they stand.

Apologies for quoting me, but I think I may have just discovered the missing link! :-)

Have a look at this website: https://tinyurl.com/t3ylv4l

It is ETIAS.COM, as distinct from etiasvisa.com, so the European Travel Information and Authorization System offices, and is not limited to providing visa application information. It should, therefore, be authoritative as it is, in effect, an EU body. It also appears fully up to date.

It states: "For the remainder of 2020, booking a European holiday will remain as straight-forward as it was before Brexit came into effect. No special European visa or Schengen Visa will be required as Britain is now entering a transition period previously agreed with the EU and this period will last until the last day of 2020. The EU-UK agreement covers all remaining EU member states and also non-EU countries Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The EU-UK deal can be extended for a further one to two years but, as things stand, the British government has ruled out any extension past the end of 2020 although this cannot be totally dismissed as negotiations continue. Similarly, passport holders of the 27 E.U. countries can enter the United Kingdom with the same pre-Brexit rights".

I have e-mailed them for confirmation that the 90 days in 180 days rule will not apply during Transition, although the implication of the above is that it will not. Reply awaited with interest! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-02-07 1:10 PM

Apologies for quoting me, but I think I may have just discovered the missing link! :-)

Have a look at this website: https://tinyurl.com/t3ylv4l

It is ETIAS.COM, as distinct from etiasvisa.com, so the European Travel Information and Authorization System offices, and is not limited to providing visa application information. It should, therefore, be authoritative as it is, in effect, an EU body. It also appears fully up to date.

It states: "For the remainder of 2020, booking a European holiday will remain as straight-forward as it was before Brexit came into effect. No special European visa or Schengen Visa will be required as Britain is now entering a transition period previously agreed with the EU and this period will last until the last day of 2020. The EU-UK agreement covers all remaining EU member states and also non-EU countries Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The EU-UK deal can be extended for a further one to two years but, as things stand, the British government has ruled out any extension past the end of 2020 although this cannot be totally dismissed as negotiations continue. Similarly, passport holders of the 27 E.U. countries can enter the United Kingdom with the same pre-Brexit rights".

I have e-mailed them for confirmation that the 90 days in 180 days rule will not apply during Transition, although the implication of the above is that it will not. Reply awaited with interest! :-D

IF they respond, they will no doubt repeat the bolded part and say "the agreement could continue for another two years.....but only if your government inform us they want it to".

I wonder how this affects those now seeking residency because if you remember from that clip i posted, they have until the end of this year to apply for permanent residency in their country of choice otherwise they are out. I feel sorry for those who had future retirement plans....only to have the rug pulled from under their feet as they missed the last lifeboat off the Titanic.

Archived