Driving Licence after 70

bristol170kj

Well the time has come that I now need to apply for a licence renewal after age 70! :'(

So, I have a decision to make. Do I apply to include for the heavier C1 to keep my options open or do I let that part of my licence lapse?

My current van (PVC) is plated at 3.5t so I have no problem with continuing at home / Europe in our van if I elect to loose the C1 part.

However, there is a possibility that we may want a holiday touring the USA or Australia in a rental. Looking at various options I cannot find the weights of "RV"'s in these countries nor the licence limits in these countries.

Has anyone hired in the USA or Australia and were any problems encountered with driving license limits when hiring there?

MTIA

Keith

...it would pay to double-check, but AIUI, the regulations that are applied are those that apply in the country of hire, and therefore different weight limits will apply.(and your driving licence is recognised simply as that, without applying the UK weight limits).

Hence, it would be quite possible to hire a larger 'van in the US having relinquished D1 (and I can find plenty of advice to the same) and I'm pretty sure the same thing applies for Australia.

Get it done quickly before you fall foul of any age limits on rentals, though ;-)

As I say, it would be best to check at time of booking, but experience of NZ indicates there is little issue (though I currently have D1 anyway).

The following statement, extracted from a hire company's FAQ, seems to be fairly standard:

Since 1999, the European category “B” driving licence has allowed for a weight limit of 3.5 tonnes of permissible total weight. According to local laws in Australia, New Zealand, the USA or Canada, this does not apply for rented motorhomes. Our rental operators have provided us the following statement for customer peace of mind: "Our insurance companies in Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada have re-confirmed where the driver has a valid and current drivers licence to permit issued overseas, which could normally be valid for the driver to drive a car in their country of residence, it is agreed that this will be recognised as an appropriate licence for them to drive vehicles booked with xxxxxxx")

As above you need to double check what you are allowed to drive in any country.

The last time we hired in US gf with her c1 was accepted as additional driver by the rental company, when we where well into holiday I noticed the van had a 8.5t data plate. I'm not sure, but it seems a standard driving licence in US is valid for any leisure vehicle, either that or they don't understand our licences.

We rented in the USA last summer and the small Ford transit PVC we had was nearly 5 tonnes so it was small. I did have the paper licence whatever its called from the UK post office but although I only have a C1 they(UK post office) marked it up as holding a full C and D licence. They did the same thing for my wife on a different day with a different counter clerk?

On arrival in the USA they only looked at our UK licences and didn't look at the groups on it.

I know someone that has booked RV's in the USA and NZ with a normal UK car licence and driven a lot larger motor homes and they double checked before travelling and were told if you have a car licence they will rent you an enormous RV every time. This goes against what it says on the paper licence from the PO.

Don't forget in the states they can drive vehicles around 10 tonnes(or more) on a car licence depending on the licencing state. My Daughter in Law has a USA licence and that's why only a very few USA state licences can be swapped for a UK licence when the holder becomes a UK resident. All the rest have to take a test and that is most states.

Suggest you ring round a few renters in the States to do some research.

The current rule here in Australia for residents is that you can drive a vehicle up to 4500kg on a standard car licence. There is no restriction on age until you reach 75 then you need a medical check from your local gp every two years. If I was planning to hire in AU I would do what I have done in the countries (around 20) that I have driven in and that is take both your local licence and an international licence. Never had an issue but my son in law was refused a hire contract in Italy last year because he did not have an International licence.

If you hire in a country other than your country of residence you will be bound by the rules of the hire country. So if you hire a MH in AU you can drive up to 4500kg even if you may be limited in UK to 3500kg. The 4500kg limit is consistent all over AU however some road rules can differ from state to state. A little like the railways, there are three different gauge sizes around the country; Victoria 5ft3in, NSW 4ft8&half, Queensland 3ft 9in. Now that is good forward planning!!

Cheers,

Geeco - 2020-01-12 2:15 AM

………………….. A little like the railways, there are three different gauge sizes around the country; Victoria 5ft3in, NSW 4ft8&half, Queensland 3ft 9in.

Now that is good forward planning!!

Cheers,

Not good, but better than our " forward " planning though Gary.

We ripped up hundreds of miles of our railways and created a national permanently congested road system.

;-)

colin - 2020-01-12 9:35 PM

Tony Jones - 2020-01-12 6:56 PM

Does the USA recognise "tonnes?"

Because they're different from "tons," and metric measurements haven't really caught on over there in lots of ways.

Their plates are in pounds

So, how do our European licence limits (3500 or 7500kg) translate? Do they have "similar-but-not-the-same" categories to map onto ours? Or does our ordinary licence cover (3500x2.2) 7700lbs?

Tony Jones - 2020-01-13 6:42 PM

colin - 2020-01-12 9:35 PM

Tony Jones - 2020-01-12 6:56 PM

Does the USA recognise "tonnes?"

Because they're different from "tons," and metric measurements haven't really caught on over there in lots of ways.

Their plates are in pounds

So, how do our European licence limits (3500 or 7500kg) translate? Do they have "similar-but-not-the-same" categories to map onto ours? Or does our ordinary licence cover (3500x2.2) 7700lbs?

It would appear that a standard car license covers you for up to 26,000lbs

Gary what do you mean by residents. Can you make a copy of a driver licence who relate to the codes of weight. and vehicle symbols. Why has a twin axle on the rear for motorhomes need to be have air suspension mandatory because of load sharing of paired axle groups. Your garbage truck has the same. Regards from Monique she said.

Hans,

Each State has it's own licensing authority but mostly the same rules. Below is a link to the NSW (where I live) rules.

I do not have the answer to your question re dual axle  and air suspension. That is interesting as a large percentage of caravans here are dual axle and do not have air suspension.

Interesting you use Bradshaws train info book, I watch an English travel tv show with Michael Portillo as host and he uses a Bradshaws all the time. Are there non English versions for countries other than UK?

Also my regards to Monique. cheers,

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/driver/licence-classes.html">licence-classes.html

Archived