Hymer smart battery system

curdle

Having visited the Bad Kissengen Allraad show for a couple of years and ogling the advanced battery systems, I was immediately on the alert when Hymer introduced their smart battery system for 2020. My current setup had two conventional Varta AGM habitation batteries - very heavy of course. Hymer now offer a 2 block system (sic) that can be fitted alongside a regular AGM battery without any change in the Schaude system. The battery can function at low temperature with an internal heating system to 10 degrees.

My original enquiry about removing my second AGM battery and replacing with the Hymer Li unit was rejected by the Hymer centre in Stafford, stating I would need to convert the entire battery system to the Lithium at a cost exceeding GBP 2500.00. I spoke to a Spanish Hymer dealer since I was going there and for 801 euros, he agreed to install the new battery, removing my old AGM (but placing it in my garage as spare or to dispose of). Wow! Installation so neat and tidy and tiny, massively weight saving. Hitting a period of 5 days on the trot with no hook-up I was dancing the Fandango because my Hymer panel showed that apparently my rooftop 120W solar panel had managed to top up to 100% each day of weak winter sunshine.

It has not helped that the accompanying handbook for the installation and online is ONLY in German. What I have gleaned, however, is that the Hymer panel will show 100% only until the Lithium battery is depleted and only then show the state of reserve charge on the AGM battery. I need to buy a separate control panel for the new battery to see it's change level. Brilliant though is that the AGM charges first but LI discharges 1st.

The battery is expandable (a unit at a time if budget is a constraint) and can ultimately offer 10 days off-grid and the batteries are so tiny they can be fitted anywhere in the MH. Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Hymer and they seem to inform UK dealers last of any advances. This is a public service message for what I believe is a game changer for wild camping especially since the system is scalable as you can afford or need.

I hate to be pessimistic but given the price you mention I would be veeeery suspicious of this new addition to your MH. Just getting a half decent 100Ah LiFePO battery pack will cost twice the amount. I don't know what base electric system is like in your hymer but there is no such thing as a drop in replacement no matter what marketing brochures say. In most cases I would expect quite substantial upgrades to make everything work correctly and safely as I doubt hymer or anyone else is making sure their MH are ready for Li just in case the customer decides to go for it a few years later. There are a few links you might want to read in the lithium vs lead thread.

Hymer’s "Basic Smart Battery System Upgrade Package” is referred to in the following link with a quoted price of €2490

https://www.xn--hymer-original-zubehr-0ec.com/en/installation/batteries/1331/basic-smart-battery-system-upgrade-package?c=95

but ‘curdle’ mentioned a cost of €799 in his posting of 11 November 2019 2:09 AM here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Lead-v-lithium/53527/

and the €799 cost is also given on Page 11 of this Hymer document

https://www.hymer.com/hymer/drucksachen/kataloge_flyer/hotz_und_service/hotz_broschuere_englisch_2020_305.pdf

The large difference in price seems to be due to the €799 product being ‘2-block’, whereas the €2490 product is ‘6-block’.

As usual, Derek unravels the mystery :-D

So the 800€ is a 45Ah battery, whereas for the 2500€ you get 135Ah. I still have some doubts regarding the simplicity of upgrade (brochure says all vehicles after 2015) but, as Hymer certainly doesn't make them cheap, it could well be the initial design has been made with LFP in mind.

Thanks for the responses. I decided to ease into the system since it is apparently scalable. I have owned Hymer’s the last 14 years so made the assumption based on experience that they must have a reliable product ( not counting Zeneca where the chairman’s son must work for them - an independent company). Obviously my results thus far were of too short duration to express anything other than initial reaction. I will report back in the future, but if this works it is a game changer.

Archived