Full timing insurance

Barcobird

Barcobird - 2020-01-26 4:09 PM

Our Comfort insurance is due for renewal again, any suggestions for other companies to check with?

It must be for full timing and no restriction on European travel, a lot stipulate maximum 3 or 6 months.

Do you have Portuguese residency or a Portuguese passport? If not, I suspect that you may be about to buy a relatively expensive insurance that you won't be able to use to maximum effect.

I think that as from 11:00 pm on 31 January 2020 you are likely to find the maximum time you will be able to spend in the EU/Schengen zone will be 90 days in any 180 day period. In saying that, I'm assuming that you require full timing insurance because you intend spending in excess of 6 months in your van and outside the UK. Apologies if my assumption is incorrect.

The SAGA car insurance website’s FAQ section includes the following:

Does Saga cover classic cars/imported vehicles?

It is possible to insure an imported vehicle as long as the car meets our specific criteria:

- The vehicle must be imported from Europe

- It must have been built to a UK or EU specification and have been modified for use in left-hand drive traffic

- The vehicle must appear on the ABI vehicle listing

Whilst we do not offer a specific classic car policy with an agreed value, we do not have a vehicle age limit and may be able to insure a classic car under our normal policy terms. If you have any questions about insuring an imported or classic car, please call us on 0800 302 9735 and one of our Customer Service advisers will be happy to help.

It seems likely that "The vehicle must appear on the ABI vehicle listing” requirement would be the stumbling-block in your case.

Barcobird - 2020-01-27 1:55 PM

I have had a right saga with "Saga" (lol) (lol) (lol)

I purchased a brand new Pilote (French manufacturer) from the main dealer in Birmingham which was UK registered and I have been informed they don't insure imported vehicles *-) (lol) (lol)

That's weird as a neighbour of mine insured his Hymer imported from Germany with them. They insisted on a Tracker being fitted though which given it's value, made sense. It was a few years ago now so maybe they've got a bit more picky. Personally i could never get a decent quote from them on any vehicle, yet their home insurance was pretty good.

Check which boxes you ticked when filling in the application, if you told them it was an import they would decline. If it is not an "import" but a new vehicle built abroad, then it is the same as a BMW, Volvo, etc..

"Imports" are usually second hand vehicles like Pajeros and El Grandes, not available in the UK.

This is the transcript. (lol)

I see we are unable to cover imported vehicles.

As you haven't replied, I will pause our chat, feel free to come back to us when it is convenient, and we will continue our conversation.

What's the point? You don't insure imported vehicles! Presumably that applies to Hymer Adria Carthago Dethleffs Frankia and all the others.

Sorry I was worried you had not seen my message about that. Yes I am sorry we could not cover this for you. If they are also imported vehicles then no I am afraid. Thank you anyway for trying with us. Take care.

Barcobird - 2020-01-27 3:40 PM

This is the transcript. (lol)

I see we are unable to cover imported vehicles.

As you haven't replied, I will pause our chat, feel free to come back to us when it is convenient, and we will continue our conversation.

What's the point? You don't insure imported vehicles! Presumably that applies to Hymer Adria Carthago Dethleffs Frankia and all the others.

Sorry I was worried you had not seen my message about that. Yes I am sorry we could not cover this for you. If they are also imported vehicles then no I am afraid. Thank you anyway for trying with us. Take care.

My Dethleffs (German) is covered by Saga, came in half the cost of the competition including Comfort. I gained my quotation on-line (not via a chat box), and when I had a query (it’s LHD) I telephoned them. My query was referred to an underwriter and it came back just fine. I suggest you get on the telephone to them.

• 2 weeks later...

After several phone calls I have been quoted £570 by Saga but with a whopping £750 excess. Safeguard have come in at £720 and Comfort my existing insurer won’t budge on £980 but it appears they have reduced euro travel to 9 months where as the others is a year.

So it appears Safeguard is a no brainier but I have read reviews on the net and they have a lot of awful feedback, admittedly not all relate to motorhomes.

Anyone with Safeguard at the moment that could express their opinions?

Safeguard are essentially Swinton insurance. I have been with safeguard nearly 12 months my renewal is next month. I have never had to claim on any motorhome policy so I can’t give an opinion on the claim side of things. They have been efficient when I called to tell them I was swapping vans last October. I previously had a Hymer that was 20 years old and I changed it to a 6 year old Adria which is valued considerably more and they changed the policy over at no extra cost and insured both vans on the day of the swap so I didn’t have to worry about doing it by a certain time. Mine is not a full time policy tho, but I am covered for 365 days European cover.

Barcobird

Plenty of references to Safeguard in earlier forum threads here. This one was fairly recent

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-Insurance/51963/

Recent Safeguard-related comments (mostly positive) here

https://www.feefo.com/en-GB/reviews/safeguard?displayFeedbackType=BOTH&timeFrame=YEAR

You’ve mentioned that Saga would apply a £750 excess, but what would the excess be for Safeguard and Comfort?

It shouldn’t be necessary to say this, but you need to look at the complete ‘package’, not merely the cost. If Comfort does not satisfy the insurance-related ‘must haves’ that you require, you can forget Comfort - and that principle should apply to all other insurance providers.

phalange - 2020-02-06 8:48 AM

Safeguard are essentially Swinton insurance. I have been with safeguard nearly 12 months my renewal is next month. I have never had to claim on any motorhome policy so I can’t give an opinion on the claim side of things. They have been efficient when I called to tell them I was swapping vans last October. I previously had a Hymer that was 20 years old and I changed it to a 6 year old Adria which is valued considerably more and they changed the policy over at no extra cost and insured both vans on the day of the swap so I didn’t have to worry about doing it by a certain time. Mine is not a full time policy tho, but I am covered for 365 days European cover.

Yes I found them very helpful but it is the possibility of new business, my concern is when you need them, breakdown or claim *-)

Derek Uzzell - 2020-02-06 9:01 AM

Barcobird

Plenty of references to Safeguard in earlier forum threads here. This one was fairly recent

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-Insurance/51963/

Recent Safeguard-related comments (mostly positive) here

https://www.feefo.com/en-GB/reviews/safeguard?displayFeedbackType=BOTH&timeFrame=YEAR

You’ve mentioned that Saga would apply a £750 excess, but what would the excess be for Safeguard and Comfort?

It shouldn’t be necessary to say this, but you need to look at the complete ‘package’, not merely the cost. If Comfort does not satisfy the insurance-related ‘must haves’ that you require, you can forget Comfort - and that principle should apply to all other insurance providers.

Excess is £250 Derek

There are a few forum comments about motorhome breakdowns and Safeguard Insurance

https://tinyurl.com/uap7w33

This one might be relevant to you

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/safeguard-breakdown-cover-over-3500kg.166824/

but I suggest you read them all

Safeguard motorhome policies are evidently underwritten by AXA or Highway Insurance and I’d expect claims to involve direct communication with the underwriter..

https://www.safeguarduk.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/

Archived