Gaslow Vs Gasit which is best ???

Bogfoldcruiser

Both are perfectly acceptable and there are other suppliers too, for example Autogas in Thirsk, Yorkshire which offer alluminium bottles which are lighter. The quality and usefulness of the contents guages can be an issue. Gaslow do of course have most of the market in UK. Components such as pigtails are interchangeable so no need to think that once you make a choice you are stuck with the same supplier.

"Alugas" aluminium canisters have a removable carrying-handle/shroud, but Gaslow R67 canisters do not have a shroud

https://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/gasbottles.html

Depends on how much one wants to pay, and it is worth considering whether there will be a genuine need to replace a traditional 2-bottles Calor-type arrangement with more than one user-refillable container.

The other thought re a one verses two bottle system is that with two bottles there is no need for accurate monitoring of fill levels.

Just turn one bottle on at a time and when it runs out switch to the other and then fill up at the next refilling station.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-30 10:43 AM

"Alugas" aluminium canisters have a removable carrying-handle/shroud, but Gaslow R67 canisters do not have a shroud

Depends on how much one wants to pay, and it is worth considering whether there will be a genuine need to replace a traditional 2-bottles Calor-type arrangement with more than one user-refillable container.

As Derek and Bogfold say, there really is little need to have two expensive refillable bottles unless you're planning some long overseas trips to very remote areas where you can't refill.

We have one Gasit and one back-up calor and the idea is that when the Gasit is empty switch to Calor and get the Gasit refilled asap. In reality, I refill the Gasit every spring and maybe once during the season when I fancy it but have never run out of gas nor needed to use the Calor. Were I buying again, I'd probably do exactly what I've done, can't see a need to spend the extra c£150 for a second refillable cylinder. Actually were I to do it again I'd go for one or poss two underslung cylinders so I free up a cupboard.

BTW, I did mine myself buying the bits from CAK tanks in Kenilworth and not only were they very helpful but suggested not to fit an external fill valve so that it doesn't leave a big hole should I sell it and want to keep the Gasit.

The gas is so cheap to refill it's not worth worrying about - typically six or seven quid a fill

Jonsey - 2020-01-30 4:20 PM

StuartO I hope you have some facts to support 'Gaslow have most of the market'

Nope, certainly no figures, just that Gaslow seem to be a lot more prominent in accessory shops and in postings on forums. My own system is two Stako bottles, installed by the now retired Peter Hambildon and still going strong after twelve years or so.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-30 10:43 AM

Totally agree with the above and what people probably do not realise or should I say underestimate is the payback time of whatever you choose to install, where these systems score is convenience and no waste.

Can't really comment on which is best, when looking I couldn't see much difference. Chose Gasit and am happy with it, opted for the additional Bluetooth sensor which fixes under the cylinder and tells me how much gas is left. I've calculated that we use on average one litre a day, so when it's getting low I know how much to panic!

I know the payback time is long, but feel that it is reassuring to be able to refill before a trip and know it will last a few weeks. From what I hear, those on conventional cylinders often change them when not empty, so waste (more expensive) gas to ensure they can last the distance.

Forgot to say, on my set up there's no contents gauge so it's just guesswork as to when it needs refilling. I checked with CAK tanks recently and there is a contents gauge available for the newer R67 cylinders but not the older ones. The sticky-on gauge is worse than useless.The only way I've checked how much is left is pouring hot (ish) water over the side of the tank and as the water "dries" it'll leave a line where the gas is. If that makes sense.

In reality I don't see it as a problem just it'd be nice to know. If you think back a few years, we used to have ammeter and voltmeters in cars, but don't miss them now do we?

Even though autogas, even taxed as fuel for cars, is cheaper than gas in replacement rental bottles, there is unlikely to be an overall saving for most owners - but the value is refillables is in the convenience of being able to top up whenever you find it convenient. I have no regrets at all except I would get one 11kg and one 6kg refillables instead of two 11kg if I was doing it again, to save payload.

Motorhomes are depreciating assets - in quite a big way - so it makes no sense to be too concerned about getting payback on investments in relatively low cost accessories like refillable gas bottles.

Conrad - 2020-01-30 9:38 PM

Can't really comment on which is best, when looking I couldn't see much difference....

There’s no doubt that choosing a user-refillable gas-bottle system based on the least expensive products marketed by GAS IT, or the most expensive products marketed by Gaslow, will result in the former system costing considerably less than the latter, but does that make the GAS IT system ‘best’ or merely cheaper?

On the side issue having one refillable plus one exchange then protects oneself from availability issue as the population of LPG pumps, certainly around me is fast declining. The "exchange" for that reason I expect ought to be Calor despite my reluctance to deal with them, however, with them phasing out the LV friendly Calor-lites possibly the picture will change towards Flo-gas where there is the light composite Gas-light in 5 & 10 kg options.

StuartO - 2020-01-31 9:21 AM

Even though autogas, even taxed as fuel for cars, is cheaper than gas in replacement rental bottles, there is unlikely to be an overall saving for most owners - but the value is refillables is in the convenience of being able to top up whenever you find it convenient. I have no regrets at all except I would get one 11kg and one 6kg refillables instead of two 11kg if I was doing it again, to save payload.

Motorhomes are depreciating assets - in quite a big way - so it makes no sense to be too concerned about getting payback on investments in relatively low cost accessories like refillable gas bottles.

Recently ordered our new Campervan, which we’ve asked for a Gaslow refillable system to be fitted, with exterior filling point and two 11kgs bottles. Gaslow because that’s what they usually fit at the dealership, and reviews seem to be fine with the system.

Couldn’t agree more about it depreciating in value, but we know that anyway don’t we?

Main reason for fitting is convenience and the amount of travelling we’ll do on the continent.

Is there a great weight saving by having a 6kgs bottle? ;-)

Gaslow quotes empty weights for their R67 canisters as follows:

11kg canister - 12.45 kg (23.45 kg full)

6kg canister - 8.15 kg (14.15 kg full)

2.7kg canister - 5.0 kg (7.7 kg full)

So, if a 2.7kg canister (4.6 litres of gas) were chosen as a secondary bottle instead of a 11kg canister (21 litres of gas) and both canisters were full, there could be a 15.75 kg weight saving (23.45 - 7.7).

A potential problem with having a gas-locker full of refillable bottles arises when none of those bottles can be refilled. This scenario should be rare, but recently happened to forum-member ‘curdle’ as described here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Filling-LPG-in-Europe/52715/

If a LOT of gas is to be used over a relatively brief time-period, a system comprising 2 x 11kg refillable bottles makes perfect sense. But if gas usage is relatively low and a single 11kg refillable bottle can be accommodated in a motorhome’s gas-locker and the vehicle’s owner already has an ‘exchange’ bottle with a reasonable amount of gas in it, why pay for a 2nd refillable bottle (of any size) when the exchange bottle can be used as back-up if the need arises?

Thanks Derek.

For what we intend to do (all year round trips and living off grid as much as possible) I’m happy with our selected set up. If room permits I may try to add a small gas bottle as backup to our van kit list.

It seems the only consideration is to what type of travelling you intend to do, then tailor your requirements accordingly. :-D

" If a LOT of gas is to be used over a relatively brief time-period, a system comprising 2 x 11kg refillable bottles makes perfect sense. But if gas usage is relatively low and a single 11kg refillable bottle can be accommodated in a motorhome’s gas-locker and the vehicle’s owner already has an ‘exchange’ bottle with a reasonable amount of gas in it, why pay for a 2nd refillable bottle (of any size) when the exchange bottle can be used as back-up if the need arises? "

Derek ,we've decided to go for the two bottle set up . We use our Carthago 148 Tourer all year round and travel a lot around the North of Scotland where Autogas filling stations aren't so thick on the ground and I'd rather have a good amount in stock .

Archived