Dogs into Switzerland

Cassie

I browse the forum most days and although I rarely contribute l find the threads interesting and informative.

I am thinking of visiting Switzerland this spring as part of my usual 6 week European holiday.

Is a pet passport sufficient for visiting Switzerland with my dog, Cassie, or is other documentation needed.

Clive

If nothing changes, you will need the Passport and Inoculation History to get into Europe, I visited Switzerland with our dog this summer, and had no bother at the border, I may be wrong but don't think we went through a passport check, they are more interested into whether you have paid the appropriate road tax for your vehicle, which we did in the office.

Clive_Adams - 2020-01-31 2:40 PM

If nothing changes, you will need the Passport and Inoculation History to get into Europe, I visited Switzerland with our dog this summer, and had no bother at the border, I may be wrong but don't think we went through a passport check, they are more interested into whether you have paid the appropriate road tax for your vehicle, which we did in the office.

Hi

Just left Switzerland with our Labrador. No problems. No one checks paperwork.

Peter

Thanks for the info.

I couldn’t see why there should be any problem but while researching on google I was directed to a site which led to a ten page document to be completed.

In any case the worst that can happen is that I will not be allowed in....and then I will just go somewhere else........the advantage of a campervan !??

I'm in Switzerland right now with the dog for what must be our 5th or 6th visit. There are no entry restrictions on dogs that are different to surrounding countries but for the first time ever they did ask how much meat we had (max 1kg per person, punitive tax on excess). We didn't mention the box of dog patties!

https://www.blv.admin.ch/blv/en/home/tiere/reisen-mit-heimtieren.html

Btw. I find the Swiss, at least in French speaking areas, just as relaxed about things and officialdom in general as the French so don't get overly worried about rules and regs.

kevina - 2020-01-31 7:44 PM

Btw. I find the Swiss, at least in French speaking areas, just as relaxed about things and officialdom in general as the French so don't get overly worried about rules and regs.

They are......as long as you don't start hanging your washing out or mowing the grass on Sundays! It's seen as a day of rest (a bit like we used to have here in UK until 7 day shopping!) and they won't thank you for making any noise on Sundays! It's not a religious thing....just one of many Swiss quirks.

I think a lot of people drive through Switzerland sticking to the main valleys and aren't that impressed, you need to drive up into the mountains and spend some time at altitude. Do some forward planning.

This is one of our favorite "off the beaten track" spots at Col des Mosses.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Les_Mosses.jpg

ps. Your dog will like it there too!

Bulletguy - 2020-01-31 8:08 PM

They are......as long as you don't start hanging your washing out or mowing the grass on Sundays! It's seen as a day of rest (a bit like we used to have here in UK until 7 day shopping!) and they won't thank you for making any noise on Sundays! It's not a religious thing....just one of many Swiss quirks.

Haven’t come across that. What I have experienced is the rifle shooting clubs all Sunday mornings banging away. Definitely not quiet.

In the hi mountain regions there are lots of locals out walking,(summer and winter)

and skiing, ( winter ) etc on Sundays.

I agree you need to get away from main valleys into the high mountains. Just returning from walking in the Jungfrau Région. Stunning scenery and well marked paths even in winter. 10 years ago this is where we did some altitude training for trekking in Patagonia.

Peter

peterjl - 2020-02-01 7:07 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-31 8:08 PM

Haven’t come across that. What I have experienced is the rifle shooting clubs all Sunday mornings banging away. Definitely not quiet. In the hi mountain regions there are lots of locals out walking,(summer and winter) and skiing, ( winter ) etc on Sundays.

Not just commonplace on Sundays but that's allowed as Switzerland still has mandatory conscription. They held a referendum on abolishing it but voted overwhelmingly in favour to retain. Yes i know some things seem odd to British but it's best described as the 'Swiss psyche' which takes time to understand. Walking is something of an obsession for Swiss who will have all the 'right' gear, quality walking boots, jackets, and walking poles (like ski sticks). You won't see any going out in scruffy old jeans, cheap trainers and sloppy t-shirts!

Here is a link on the 'quiet rules'. Don't worry, some Swiss do have a sense of self-deprecating humour about things like this, but not all do......some take it very seriously which for me always made it even more funny! The bit about the 'rubbish police' is absolutely spot on.

https://cowbellsandchocolate.com/sundays-and-quiet-rules/

https://www.expatica.com/ch/about/gov-law-admin/a-life-of-swiss-regulation-422703/

Archived