Votronic B2B with interface to CBE DS 510 system - problems

Robbo

Just installed a Votronic VCC 1212-30 (30amp B2B) directly between starter and leisure batteries. Disabled cable from starter battery to +B1 on DS 510 (yes it is a 510 not a 520).

Result:

1) fridge doesn't work on 12v with engine running

2) marker lights don't work with engine running

3) getting a solid 14.4v at leisure batteries although only about 5amp charge with LB's at 70% full

The side marker lights run from a separate fuse/relay box adjacent the CBE box. It's a CBE SRX 250 RELAY FUSE BOX. It feeds to +B1 and -B1 terminals with an orange wire to the D+ signal within the main CBE box.

I've been following this thread which has given me some ideas https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Improvements-to-leisure-battery-charging/50677/91/

In order to avoid the problems in 1 & 2 above, perhaps I should install the B2B between starter and +B1 terminal. Only trouble with that is, I wanted to avoid routing the charge current via the onboard split-charge relay.with the inevitable voltage drop.

A colleague has recently installed a Votronic B2B on a Carthago with a CBE DS 300 box without any of my problems. He did however, install a normally closed NC relay between the starter battery and +B1 terminal (triggered by D+ signal) so that mains charging of the starter battery would be unaffected. He was also concerned about the loop effect from his Li leisure battery back to the lead-acid starter battery.

I think the main fundimental problem in my case is that the D+ trigger doesn't seem to want to operate without a voltage at +B1. Perhaps if I disable the feed from the starter battery and provide a jumper between B1 & B2, things might work. However, I'm loath to do this without expert advice.

I would be very grateful for any help on this matter, especially from any of our resident CBE experts. Thanks

I'm sure I've posted this before but I have had a Votronic b2b running perfectly for 6 years in my Rapido, with cbe electronics. Mine is placed directly between vehicle and leisure batteries and I have a relay isolating the lb from the entire cbe system (and solar panel for that matter) which is operated by D+ signal. The fridge, interior electrics, truma dump valve etc all work normally through the Rapido/cbe system.

Have a search under my name for votronic b2b and you will find more details; I'm up a mountain at present.

I am familiar with the CBE DS300, but not the DS510. My PVC is fitted with a DS520, and I have fitted a CTEK D250S B2B to work in conjunction with it.

How many main terminals does the DS510 have, 3, or 4? (The DS520 has 4. The fourth terminal labelled OUT +ve is connected to the common side of the load fuses, and via the current sensing device to the B2 +ve terminal. OUT +ve is where the mains charger and my B2B are connected.

I did not want most of the enhanced output my B2B (D250S) being absorbed by the fridge, and connected a changeover relay in front of the B1 +ve terminal, which is operated by simulated D+. (C to B1 supply, NO to fridge, and NC to DS520 B1.) This relay also takes care of the mains charging path for the vehicle battery, B1, and allows display of B1 voltage when the engine is not running.

To provide the SIMULATED D+ signal, CBE DS300, and DS520 use an ignition key switched supply which is monitored internally. It is this supply that is made available for external use, as well as operating the fridge and internal 70A rated split charge relay.

It would make sense for the simulated D+ ouput to be dependant on a connection to the starter battery being present at the B1 +ve terminal as Robbo has suggested, as this would prevent the fridge discharging the habitation battery if as has happened, the connection to the starter battery suffers from a blown fuse, or high resistance connection. However I consider that it would be worth checking the simulated D+, 3A output fuse on the DS510 if such a fuse is fitted.

I cannot see any damage or problems arising from shorting the B1 +ve, and the B2 +ve terminals of the DS510, except for the loss of the ability to monitor B1, as is the case with the connections described by Robbo.

The charge of 5A to a partially discharged habitation battery at 14.4V seems low. How are these readings being obtained?

When I designed my system, I was concerned about the B2B seeing the mains charge voltage of the starter battery, and attempting to boost the habitation battery from this source. I installed a 70A NC relay contact in the separate input from the starter battery, and operated this relay via a custom driver circuit whenever mains is connected to the CB516 charger.

Alan

Many thanks both kevina & Alanb for your replies. They've certainly given me food for thought.

My DS 510 has 3 terminals: +B2, +B1 & -B2. The 2 leisure batteries are monitored using a Nasa BM-1.

My current test plan for tomorrow is as follows:

1) temporarily isolate the leisure batteries from the CBE box (+B2 terminal)

2) retain the existing supply cable from starter battery positive to +B1 at CBE box

3) enable the B2B between starter battery positive and leisure batteries.

This should separate the B2B charging system to the LB's from the CBE system. My only concern is the fridge. I've always assumed the fridge is powered from the LB's when the engine is running.

Anyway, the testing will prove one way or another, although I have grave doubts the fridge will work. Will let you know how I get on. Obviously I will add a relay or relays later once the initial testing is completed and all functions are working correctly.

Result of testing today:

1) disconnected cable link between LB's and CBE box

2) started engine

3) fridge control panel lit up showing green when set to 12v operation

4) voltage reading at rear of fridge indicated 12.9v / 14.4v with fridge turned off at control panel

5) marker lights worked when side and main lamps are turned on

I guess this proves that the 12v fridge supply is via the starter battery and not via the LB's as I had originally thought.

The yellow D+ wiring inside the CBE box registered 14.4v with engine running.

So all I need to do now is to install a NC relay between the LB's and CBE box and link it to the D+ signal. This should separate the "starter battery to B2B to LB's system" from the "starter battery to CBE box" when the engine is running.

I got the impression that this is exactly what kevina was describing in his reply.

Have I missed anything and does this sound right ? Very little information is available for the DS 510. The user manual is date stamped March 2008.

Robbo,

You may be correct in your conclusion as to the origin of the fridge supply from B1 on your CBE DS510.

An alternative conclusion is that you have proved that the simulated D+ on the DS510 requires the presence of 12V at the B1+ve terminal.

The fridge could still be connected on the B2 (habitation battery) side of the split charge relay.

Either conclusion would preclude my changeover relay in the B1 connection, and favours Kevina's NC relay in the B2 (habitation battery) connection. Since NC relays in automotive format are rare, you will probably need to purchase a changeover relay. NC contacts are commonly lower rated, and it will have to carry all battery supplied load. I recommend a 70A relay.

Currently my principal concern is the effect of a supply change glitch on the fridge electronics supply. Normally from B2, but from B1 when engine running. Probably OK, as it has worked for Kevina.

Consider making the connections so that you can revert if a problem occurs.

Alan

Alan (Alanb)

Many thanks for your wise comments. I'll take onboard your suggestion to plan the work so it can be easily reverted back to original, should the need arise.

The DS 300 does seem to use the hab batteries to power the fridge with the engine running. That's why my colleague installed his relay on the starter +ve to +B1 cable route. The purpose of this was to eliminate any possible back feed from his Li hab battery to the starter battery. He used a Durite 70amp HD changeover relay as shown here: https://www.arc-components.com/0-728-72-durite-12v-100a-70a-mini-extra-hd-changeover-relay-with-resistor-2127.html

Without a circuit diagram for the DS 510 the only diagnostic method is really to obseve "cause and effect". I'm now more confident thanks to your input.

Next test is to enable the B2B side but with the hab battery to +B2 connection still disconnected. Then install the NC 70amp relay between hab and +B2 with D+ trigger.

Many thanks Alan for your sound help and advice. I'll report back shortly.

Robbo,

You may like to consider this relay. Even cheaper if able to wait for delivery from China. These are what I used, but in your application do note that there ia no mention of a resistor in parallel with the coil. The resistor is important in order to minimise wear on your DS510 simulated D+ relay.

From peering at published photos of CBE DS300 and DS520, plus some further research, I can confirm that the fridge is connected on the B2 (habitation battery) side of the integral split charge relay.

If you wish to confirm this for your DS510, proceed as follows. With B2 only connected, test for 12V at upper blade terminal in middle of board (designated for AES bridge (link)). Negative check for no 12V with B2 disconnected will serve to confirm. Otherwise try with supply on +B1. Measurement to be taken when engine is NOT running.

I can understand your colleagues wish to avoid feedback loops. I was perhaps extreme in this respect when I installed my CTEK D250S B2B. Neither could I agree with the argument from the late Allan Evans, that it was not necessary to interrupt the loop causing the short circuit of a B2B, via the integral split charge relay, but did not wish to start an online spat. Further I would not advise modifying the standard CBE PCB to disable the split charge relay. Keep the board standard in case you need an urgent replacement at any time.

Alan

Glad that works. My big relay is a heavy duty changeover Durite 072870, the control relays are n/c Durite 072072. (My charger is the 45A version).

Your panel will only show the vehicle battery voltage (on both vb and lb selections) plus a spurious charge rate hovering around 0A, but like me you have a seperate battery monitor.

I was a little worried that the truma dump valve would drop out during startup changeover, but we've used the van for over 600 days since fitting (nearly all off-grid) and it never has. No problems with the fridge either.

Alanb - 2020-02-06 12:58 PM

Robbo,

You may like to consider this relay. Even cheaper if able to wait for delivery from China. These are what I used, but in your application do note that there ia no mention of a resistor in parallel with the coil. The resistor is important in order to minimise wear on your DS510 simulated D+ relay.

From peering at published photos of CBE DS300 and DS520, plus some further research, I can confirm that the fridge is connected on the B2 (habitation battery) side of the integral split charge relay.

If you wish to confirm this for your DS510, proceed as follows. With B2 only connected, test for 12V at upper blade terminal in middle of board (designated for AES bridge (link)). Negative check for no 12V with B2 disconnected will serve to confirm. Otherwise try with supply on +B1. Measurement to be taken when engine is NOT running.

I can understand your colleagues wish to avoid feedback loops. I was perhaps extreme in this respect when I installed my CTEK D250S B2B. Neither could I agree with the argument from the late Allan Evans, that it was not necessary to interrupt the loop causing the short circuit of a B2B, via the integral split charge relay, but did not wish to start an online spat. Further I would not advise modifying the standard CBE PCB to disable the split charge relay. Keep the board standard in case you need an urgent replacement at any time.

Alan

Thanks again Alan

Quote from my user manual re AES fridge connection: it is a bridge, which excludes the 3 way function fridge and is used to connect the AES fridge directly to B2.

Presumably, this is useful if you wish to run the fridge off 12v solar power ?

Test results at AES jumper terminals, FA1 / FA2 (FA1 is upper terminal):

Power to B1 only: +0.16v / minus 1.86v

Power to B2 only: +12.8v / minus 1.80v

I guess these results are in favour of the fridge being driven from B2 (leisure batteries). Please note, the CBE control panel was turned off, as was the fridge panel. Resting voltage of the LB's is 12.8v.

Proposed relay:

My link showed a Durite relay with resistor. However, when checking the Durite website, using ref 0-728-72 the resistor isn't shown. The spec for this relay indicates an operating voltage of 7.8v and dropout voltage of 1.2v. My simulated D+ wiring (within CBE box) measures +12v with engine running. I gathered from the late Allan Evans that it wasn't wise to overload the D+ circuit. I'm now starting to get out of my depth, as you've probably gathered, despite a basic understanding gained in my Civil Engineering syllabus.

My colleague wished to intercept the loop because of his differing battery technologies ie. Pb starter / Li habitation. Interesting to note that Clive Mott in Jan 2020 issue of MMM page 132 advised to insert a NC relay between starter and B1 when using a B2B (on the assumption that the fridge was powered from the leisure batteries).

I'm starting to err towards inserting the relay between starter and B1 and jumping the B1 / B2 terminals to provide power to the simiulated D+ feed.

I'm struggling to get my head around the difference between a "simulated D+ feed" and a "D+ feed from the ignition switch". Hope you'll be able to illuminate B-)

kevina - 2020-02-07 9:44 AM

Glad that works. My big relay is a heavy duty changeover Durite 072870, the control relays are n/c Durite 072072. (My charger is the 45A version).

Your panel will only show the vehicle battery voltage (on both vb and lb selections) plus a spurious charge rate hovering around 0A, but like me you have a seperate battery monitor.

I was a little worried that the truma dump valve would drop out during startup changeover, but we've used the van for over 600 days since fitting (nearly all off-grid) and it never has. No problems with the fridge either.

Hi kevina

Fortunately, I've got the later version mechanical Truma dump valve....so no worries in that regard.

You seem to have fitted quite a few relays. I was only considering fitting the one to separate the B2B circuit from the CBE system.

The jury is still out on the best way to interface with my rather unusual CBE distribution box. I seem to be getting good results using your method but I need to dig deeper to find out why, as I'm now becoming convinced the fridge feed should be powered from the LB's.

Statements in parentheses by]Robbo - 2020-02-07 8:49 PM

"Quote from my user manual re AES fridge connection: it is a bridge, which excludes the 3 way function fridge and is used to connect the AES fridge directly to B2.

Presumably, this is useful if you wish to run the fridge off 12v solar power ?"

This bridge or link is a short circuit across the contacts of the DSxxx integral fridge relay, if used it should be suitable to carry the fridge 12V element current. Intended for AES fridges, but it could be used to power the fridge, if sufficient solar power was available.

"Test results at AES jumper terminals, FA1 / FA2 (FA1 is upper terminal):

Power to B1 only: +0.16v / minus 1.86v

Power to B2 only: +12.8v / minus 1.80v

I guess these results are in favour of the fridge being driven from B2 (leisure batteries). Please note, the CBE control panel was turned off, as was the fridge panel. Resting voltage of the LB's is 12.8v."

Yes, as usual with CBE, the fridge is connected to B2 side of the split charge relay. (I am not sure if you understood correctly when I mentioned a negative check. I meant to convey "Confirm 0V when B2 disconnected. This illustrates just how pedantic and Mr Spock like you have to be. I think that to readings under 2V are all down to the high sensitivity of modern multimeters - just "pick up".)

"Proposed relay:

My link showed a Durite relay with resistor. However, when checking the Durite website, using ref 0-728-72 the resistor isn't shown. The spec for this relay indicates an operating voltage of 7.8v and dropout voltage of 1.2v. My simulated D+ wiring (within CBE box) measures +12v with engine running. I gathered from the late Allan Evans that it wasn't wise to overload the D+ circuit. I'm now starting to get out of my depth, as you've probably gathered, despite a basic understanding gained in my Civil Engineering syllabus."

The relay to which I linked, was my suggestion as a cheaper alternative. Neither relay has a mounting bracket. I made my own from a piece of scrap plastic and glued it to the relay case. An electrically identical relay is listed on Ebay with mounting bracket and multiway socket with short wire tails. Personally if using that relay, I would probably only use the plastic part of the connector with my own connections. More time and expense, also insertion force would be considerable. The resistor (or diode) is necessary to avoid excessive sparking at the contacts of the simulated D+ relay of the DSxxx. You would not want to damage that relay. (A resistor coil is an inductor. When current is cut off, a high voltage is generated which causes the sparking. Compare with a car ignition coil, as the same principle applies.)

Do not worry about loading your simulated D+ output with relay coils, having given consideration to the above. As regards overloading the D+ I, recall Allan Evans using the term "lazy alternator", which referred to alternators that were reluctant to start charging. This would propably be due to overloading the D+ connection. I and others before me have warned against it. See below.

"My colleague wished to intercept the loop because of his differing battery technologies ie. Pb starter / Li habitation. Interesting to note that Clive Mott in Jan 2020 issue of MMM page 132 advised to insert a NC relay between starter and B1 when using a B2B (on the assumption that the fridge was powered from the leisure batteries)."

I understood your colleagues reasoning. He did not want different voltages connected by the split charge relay. I have not read Clive Mott's article, thanks for bringing it to my notice. Putting a NC relay in the B1 connection will make the B2B supply the fridge current, via the B2 input, so that a significant fraction of the B2B output is consumed by the fridge. Is that what you want? If I remember correctly your 30A B2B is connected directly between the batteries (Fuses?). Inserting the relay in the B2 connction ensures that the B2B is used to charge the habitatioin battery. The fridge will still be supplied as before vie the DSxxx split charge relay and the fridge relay. However, if your aim is to improve the performance of the fridge on 12V, that is a different matter.

"I'm starting to err towards inserting the relay between starter and B1 and jumping the B1 / B2 terminals to provide power to the simiulated D+ feed."

Consider what will happen on EHU, otherwise answered above.

"I'm struggling to get my head around the difference between a "simulated D+ feed" and a "D+ feed from the ignition switch". Hope you'll be able to illuminate B-)"

If I mentioned " D+ feed from the Ignition switch" that was an error. Early vehicle alternators used a separate excitation supply controlled by an ignition switch operated relay. More recent (non ECU controlled) alternators take a small initial current from the ignition switch via the warning lamp to the alternator field circuit (rotor) through the regulator. This small current allows the alternator to start generating, and the light goes out, when tha voltages at both sides are balanced or "backed off". The alternator would struggle without it. If too much of this already small current is diverted to MH electrics the alternator will be reluctant to start generating..

On the CBE system the above problem is avoided. There is no connection to D+, the alternator field terminal. A supply controlled by the ignition switch is connected to the DSxxx, where it is electronically monitored. When the voltage reaches about 13.2V a small relay is operated and on the DS300 & DS520 the actual supply from the ignition switch is used to operate the integral split charge and fridge relays. This switched supply is also made available for other uses via a terminal at the RHS of the board, as SIMULATED D+. There is no direct connection to the alternator D+. On the CBE DS510, your tests suggest that B1 supply must also be present before the simulated D+ is activated.

I hope that all makes sense.

Alan

Very many thanks Alan (Alanb) for your detailed explainations, especially your in-depth knowledge of the simulated D+ system.

My requirements:

1) as a priority, I need efficient charging of the leisure batteries, 2x90Ah Varta;

2) the existing fridge supply system seems to cope quite well with maintaining temperature but currently reduces charge to the leisure batteries.

Consequently, a NC relay between LB's and B2 would seem to be the optimum solution. This would disable the connection between LB's and B2 with engine running.

From my previous testing, the fridge supply via B1 seems to work (with B2 disabled). I've no idea why this should be so, as we've already established the fridge supply is usually via B2. But, I'm willing to accept this phenomenon :-D

I shall be purchasing a relay with resistor across the coil, as recommended, with a purpose designed support bracket.

A bit of history:

My previous Hymer charging system worked extremely well and I could survive at least 4 days on a couple of 80Ah gel batteries. I've changed leisure batteries 3 times on my current van over the last 7 years as they didn't seem to hold charge for more than a couple of days. I put this down to poor charging, possibly dipping them into the sulfation zone. I've attempted to change the voltage regulator on the 140amp Bosch alternator but found I'd ordered the wrong one....it was an extremely difficult job, so gave up in the end. Currently, the alternator pushes out a solid 14.4v but when the engine warms up it reduces to 13,5v (without B2B enabled). I suspect either a faulty regulator or slipping alternator belt. Whilst briefly testing the B2B, it does seem to extract a more consistant voltage to the LB's.

Many thanks Alan for your enlightenment into the dark side of electronic systems. One last favour - perhaps you could comment on the "phenomenon" mentioned above. Thanks in anticipation :-D

Robbo - 2020-02-08 10:21 PM (In parentheses)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Consequently, a NC relay between LB's and B2 would seem to be the optimum solution. This would disable the connection between LB's and B2 with engine running."

This would appear to be the most compatible with your current arrangements.

"From my previous testing, the fridge supply via B1 seems to work (with B2 disabled). I've no idea why this should be so, as we've already established the fridge supply is usually via B2. But, I'm willing to accept this phenomenon :-D"

As in my previous post, the fridge will be supplied from B1 via the integral split charge and fridge relays, which are operated by the simulated D+.

(Allan Evans identified the effect (voltage drop) of the fridge current being routed via the split charge relay, as a noticeable detriment, to the split charging performance of the CBE system.)

"I shall be purchasing a relay with resistor across the coil, as recommended, with a purpose designed support bracket."

I used an NC relay without resistor, but included a parallel diode alternative in an electronic relay driver circuit.

"A bit of history:

My previous Hymer charging system worked extremely well and I could survive at least 4 days on a couple of 80Ah gel batteries. I've changed leisure batteries 3 times on my current van over the last 7 years as they didn't seem to hold charge for more than a couple of days. I put this down to poor charging, possibly dipping them into the sulfation zone. I've attempted to change the voltage regulator on the 140amp Bosch alternator but found I'd ordered the wrong one....it was an extremely difficult job, so gave up in the end. Currently, the alternator pushes out a solid 14.4v but when the engine warms up it reduces to 13,5v (without B2B enabled). I suspect either a faulty regulator or slipping alternator belt. Whilst briefly testing the B2B, it does seem to extract a more consistant voltage to the LB's".

Another bit of history:

The voltage problems mentioned above remind me of when in my youth, I retrofitted an alternator to a diesel Landrover. Output current dropped off after perhaps 30 minutes running. Eureka moment came when, after stopping to investigate, I inadvertantly touched the alternator pulley, ouch!!! The pulley was hotter than the engine - belt slip. The cure was a belt specially selected for length, a custom made slotted tension link, and a surplus extension removed from the chassis to allow extra alternator adjustment.

Could you use an infrared thermometer, to check the belt without burning your fingers?

It is possible, but unlikely, that some droop has been designed into regulator. The alternator on Fiat Ducato engines, is not easy to access when compared with that on my first MH, which was based on a Talbot Express (Peugeot J5). Looking at my records, the alternator voltage on that vehivle was 14.2V, after a run. Current MH is SORNED at the moment, and I do not have a voltage record for it.

If your B2B is pushing more into your habitation batteries, then it can only achieve this by drawing even more current from the alternator, and hence possibly more prone to belt slip.

"Many thanks Alan for your enlightenment into the dark side of electronic systems. One last favour - perhaps you could comment on the "phenomenon" mentioned above. Thanks in anticipation"

To me the dark side of the CBE system is currently in the connection between the control panel and the distribution board DSxxx. I recently added up the indications and controls passing between the two, and ran out of wires. In my working life, I was very familiar with both relay and electronic based, multiplex control and indication systems. Does not seem to be enough of either form of hardware, to implement such a system.

Alan

Many thanks Alan (Alanb) re yesterday's reply.

Firstly, apologies for regurgitating the topic of driving the fridge solely from B1 which you covered previously (as noted when re-reading the early posts).

Interesting to read about your slipping Landrover alternator and your methods to resolve the problem. The Fiat alternator doesn't appear to be adjustable for tension. The MOT is due in a couple of weeks (at an accommodating Water Works company who service a variety of commercial vehicles) so will ask them to check the belt. As you mention, the B2B will undoubtedly put increased load on the alternator. I might try and purloin/hire an infrared temperature device from my local PC workshop where they frequently use one...thanks for that idea.

I've previously carried out testing on the alternator as per the late Allan Evans suggestions, described on his website, to use a jump lead between alternator / alternator body / starter battery, All tested positive but noted a gradually declining voltage during testing. This prompted me to suspect the voltage regulator. I found this post on MHFun to be very helpful https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/red-alternator-charging-light-lazy.192388/ As mentioned, it's not a job for the light hearted and involves a certain amount of bad language !!!

As you are fully aware, it's amazing what you can do with relays. I built a simple alarm for my VW campervan using latched relays.

Will update on progress in due course.

• 1 year later...
pasner - 2021-02-11 8:56 AM

Hi, could someone tell me the way to solve the problems with the CBE box? Im in the same situation with no idea how to solve the equation.

Thanks in advance.

What exactly do you want to know ?

The CBE 12v distribution box is produced in various guises and model numbers. The majority of CBE boxes seem to be specific to a particular Motorhome manufacturer. My box has a reference DS 510 CA. The CA = Carthago. A similar DS 510 made for say a Rapido might have a slightly different design to suit their specific requirements.

Best to advise which CBE distribution box you have and someone may be able to help.

Archived