Degradation of the Silicone Gap Sealant in 5-year old Motorhome

DavyS

Keithl - 2020-02-29 11:18 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2020-02-29 9:00 AM

I also tried ‘bleaching’ a small section of discoloured white sealant around my Rapido’s fuel-filler point. That did re-whiten the sealant but it also damaged it.

MH/Caravan sealant is not Silicon hence most likely why the bleach did not whiten it and even caused the damage.

It has been posted for many years NOT to use household Silicon sealant on MH and Caravans.

Keith.

The normal expectation nowadays is that a motorhome manufacturer will use a sealant/adhesive based on a polyurethane-hybrid compound, but as will be evident from the title of this thread it is commonplace (even in the motorhome/caravan trade) to refer to the stuff as ‘silicone’.

I was well aware that the SIKA products Rapido used were not silicone-based but, as there had been suggestions here that ‘bleaching’ might be effective, I thought I would experiment where any damage would not matter and replacing the sealant would be easy.

This 2018 thread refers

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Silicone-seal-cleaning/49414/#M567951

Archived