CAPTAIN LOOKING FOR A MATE

hymer1942

Guest Frank Wilkinson
starspirit - 2007-03-07 8:12 PM Once again FW's posting gives away his true belligerent and self opinionated viewpoint. No man is an island and if he is then something is probably missing. The loss of a parent (or both) is nothing like the loss of a partner, or even dare I say it a much loved pet in my experience. A partner, a child or even a pet is someone you share you daily lives with and build a very close bond with over time whilst at the same time, usually but not always, loosening bonds with parents. That is not to say not loving parents, just doing it in a different way. For most of us, we expect our parent to get old and die. That is the nature of things. Counselling and the general handling of grief is a very individual matter and NOBODY has the right to say what is right or wrong for someone else.

How amusing to read the teapot calling the kettle black!

I seem to remember you starting a thread, the basis of which was that religion is bunk and that those of us who believe in God are deluded. Were you being self opinionated and belligerent, or were you, like me, simply expressing a view that you firmly believe?

Well, I think that those who need counselling for trivial reasons are weak and self indulgent but of course if I have an opinion in which in believe strongly then I'm belligerent and self-opinionated!

I have never once said that counselling should be banned, or that you or anyone else can't have your opinion on it but, as you are entitled to your opinion, surely I am entitled to mine?

It's a pity that you, acting just as a fascist would, feel that you can stifle my views by insults such as the one that started your post.

I'm getting a little sick of the constant implication that if someone has a perfectly valid opinion on a subject and voices it forcefully, that he is somehow self-opinionated and belligerent.

And as for your nonsensical statement that no one has a right to say what is right or wrong for someone else, what do you think about people who persuade young men to become suicide martyrs? What do you think about people who play loud music knowing that it can be heard by others in adjoining flats? I think that these two examples are wrong and that people shouldn't do these things.

If you feel that counselling is a good thing and argue strongly for it, I don't think that you are self-opinionated and belligerent, I obviously feel that you are wrong, but I would never deny you your right to say it.

For a man who is constantly banging on about free speech I find it quite amusing that, when that free speech doesn't accord with your views, you suddenly change your mind about free speech and those who are disagreeing with you are self-opinionated and belligerent.

Do us all a favour Richard - go away and polish your jackboots and give us all a rest from real belligerence and self-opinion!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Mel B - 2007-03-07 8:06 PM
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-06 10:06 PM

Yes, but regrettably you are one of those happy to perpetuate a system that gradually weakens society by producing generations of people unable to deal with the kind of thing that life throws at us, and which happen to everyone of us.

You don't appear to have read my post carefully enough Frank, I'm not perpetuating anything, just trying to understand the situation that some people find themselves in - some deal with things in different ways and just because you appear to be content and fortunate enough not to seem to need counseling etc doesn't mean that everyone is able to deal with things without some help, whatever the caused of their distress may be. I dare say that if it had been available during the wars to people that needed it then, there would've been a lot less suffering going on both during and afterwards, especially for those who were shell shocked etc. Yes some people take it to extremes but again it that's how they handle things and it's up to them, not us, to decide what they should do. Personally criticising me by saying that I am "regrettably ... one of those happy to perpetuate ... a weakened society" is rather insulting but I must add, nothing that I didn't expect .... :-|

I can assure you that I read your post very carefully before I replied and I see no difference in this latest response  that would make me change my mind as to your views on this subject, to which it seems I must now constantly keep saying, you are perfectly welcome to hold. I just don't agree with them.

Anyway, I'm glad that once again, I didn't disappoint you. I try to be of service.

The only good that seems to be coming from this thread is that people are beginning to realise that it's not just me who is aggressive and belligerent, if indeed I am!

And I don't mean you by the way.

Edited to say - I won't post any more on this subject. I don't want to encourage another long battle with you know who.

I've no doubt that he'll want to get in his last little dig so we'll let him and all carry on enjoying this forum and I hope, accepting that people are entitled to firmly held beliefs, no matter how unpalatable they may be to one or two of the more narrow-minded. 

I have watched the threads that Frank & Richard to and fro with one another and it really does not seem right to take over someones thread like this if they really need to have these debates, which they don't seem to let go why can't they just send messages to each others pm inboxes for private debate and let the thread continue as they should, sorry but thats just my thoughts, and Hymer captain I would try the thread again don't give up on the forum because it really is a friendly helpful place this just went off thread. Carol

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Hymer C 9. - 2007-03-07 10:29 PM I have watched the threads that Frank & Richard to and fro with one another and it really does not seem right to take over someones thread like this if they really need to have these debates, which they don't seem to let go why can't they just send messages to each others pm inboxes for private debate and let the thread continue as they should, sorry but thats just my thoughts, and Hymer captain I would try the thread again don't give up on the forum because it really is a friendly helpful place this just went off thread. Carol

You are absolutely right and I'm sorry. You will notice that I did not start this aggro but it's true that I did respond to his attack on me. When you've been attacked it's a fairly natural reaction to fight back, which I did and it's easy to forget that the thread's being diverted.

I too would like to reassure Hymer1942 that normally this forum is fine. I'm a relative newbie and have learned an awful lot from other people. So stick with us please! If you read some other threads you'll see that some of us also have a good laugh!

Hymer C 9. - 2007-03-07 10:29 PM

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. if they really need to have these debates, which they don't seem to let go why can't they just send messages to each others pm inboxes .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Carol

I believe the partial quote says it all.

B-)

starspirit - 2007-03-05 12:10 PM

There is also the 'Phoenix Group' and 'The Loners Group' both of whom appear in the MMM clubs list.

There are also CCC and MCC weekend rallies where you might feel a bit out of place to start with but most groups are friendly and welcoming

You could try an email to the editor of MMM.

I did exactly this, and he published it a couple of years ago following which I had lots of emails and from these and the following conversations I gained the impetus to start using the van again if only to go and meet some of these good and kindly folk.

I did not really ever expect to find anyone with whom I wanted to share my life from this episode but as a learning curve it did get me going again, and I met several ladies with whom some good times were shared - in separate vans - mostly!

Following a month long solo trip to the Outer Hebrides and just when I was beginning to think that perhaps being alone was not so bad after all I met a lovely lady completely by chance whilst out walking the dog and we have been together for a while now. She too loves the van way of life which is always a bonus of course.

A dog is a heck of a tie in may ways but during the dark days following the loss of my wife it was the dog that was my life saver, keeping me sane, and keeping me going and 'leading' to me meeting (or is that collaring?) lots of people who would otherwise have just nodded and passed me by.

All I can say is try everything and see what suits you and your lifestyle best.

Heartfelt best wishes, and feel free to email me privately if I can help talk things through - I've been there and I understand the feelings all to well.

Richard.

I think an apology would be nice Barrie after all he did try to help you and I think they were kindly words

Guest starspirit

I've no doubt that he'll want to get in his last little dig so we'll let him and all carry on enjoying this forum and I hope, accepting that people are entitled to firmly held beliefs, no matter how unpalatable they may be to one or two of the more narrow-minded.

END QUOTE

No thanks Frank I have nothing more to say as I think that you have said it all one way and another.

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 9:22 PM

Well, I think that those who need counselling for trivial reasons are weak and self indulgent but of course if I have an opinion in which in believe strongly then I'm belligerent and self-opinionated!

Frank, it's not the fact that you have an opinion, it's the way you express it that is the problem, whether you realise it or not your posts can be offensive and sometimes come across as someone who really doesn't give a toss about other people's feelings and likes to make 'put down' comments like the one above. That is the problem in a nutshell. From the number of people who have commented previous in a similar vein I don't believe I'm the only one who thinks like this. :-| Sorry to Captain for going off thread.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Mel B - 2007-03-08 8:45 PM
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 9:22 PM

Frank, it's not the fact that you have an opinion, it's the way you express it that is the problem, whether you realise it or not your posts can be offensive and sometimes come across as someone who really doesn't give a toss about other people's feelings and likes to make 'put down' comments like the one above. That is the problem in a nutshell. From the number of people who have commented previous in a similar vein I don't believe I'm the only one who thinks like this. :-| Sorry to Captain for going off thread.

Once again I'm sorry that you've chosen to stir up a thread that had died naturally. I make no apology for my manner. If you don't like it then don't get involved and if it really bothers you then go and get some counselling. I really couldn't give a toss. Your main input these days into my discussions is to have a whinge and to prolong spats that are over and frankly, I'm getting a little fed up with it.

...and once again a perfectly sensible discussion has degenerated into snide remarks and underhanded digs, and I'm sure by now that the original poster has walked away from this forum forever, taking quite the wrong impression away with him. As such, I'm locking the thread.

I have warned you two enough. Do this even once more and you will be banned.

Archived