Van Alarm Tech Question

longtemps

After having a new oil sensor fitted by a Fiat dealer my cat 1 alarm is constantly sounding for no reason. The neighbours are not happy. Evidently the alarm is connected to both my vehicle and habitation batteries.

First question is it a good idea to be connected to both. Would say just the habitation batteries(x2) be a good idea?

Second question, if the Fiat people had to disconnect the vehicle battery to fit the sensor, would this then affect the correct operation of the alarm?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Hi,I suddenly had a lot problems similar to yours after the battery in the key fobb ran out. I disconnected the engine battery and the habitation battery for a few hours.then reconnected it and it reset itself and all is still fine.make sure you have the codes to reset radios ect before you dissconect. Worth a try .also find the siren and stuff something in it to deaden the noise. Regards Tringy

On many alarm systems, there usually is some way to find out what caused the alarm to activate.

The Gemini 931TMH alarm seems to be quite common on motorhomes and it will flash the dashboard LED with a certain sequence depending on what activated the alarm (see below).

This might narrow down the problem.

Gemini_931TMH_alarm.PNG.2fc18d2c564b07d7c80f4844e4567617.PNG

Our Cobra Alarm is activated by magnetic reed switches which are closed when the magnetic keeper on the doors are closed.

I have learnt through the years , after opening a door ( habitation / locker), then closing it, to give the door an “ affectionate “ pat (thump) to make the circuit close. The reed switches seem to get sticky, or the magnetic pull is not quite enough to close the circuit fully.

Maybe one of the switches is “just” set to work, and a slight movement in the wind, is enough to to break the contact.

I have my reservations about the alarm being connected to both habitation and vehicle batteries.

Rgds

Edit Sure it’s connected to both batteries? Maybe the alarm has a backup battery which operates if a neredowell decides to disconnect the vehicle battery to disarm the alarm?

Archived