240 current for 12 volt charger

weldted

Hi looking to buy a 110 to 240 step up transformer to run a Victron ip22 30 amp single output 12 d.c. charger.

This charger will work on 50/60 cycles so frequency is not a problem. Just wonder what size.

Taking van to the US for six months and need a means of charging my batteries from 110 volt 60 cycles mains whilst over there.

The answer to this question is not as simple as it may seem.

Your Victron charger is rated at 14.4V, 30V, efficiency 93%.

So 14.4x30/0.93=465W (approx). That is the easy part. The problem lies in the fact that the charger, in common with many other chargers, is a switch mode device. These devices draw large pulses of current, over a short section of the mains input cycle.

The above pulses of current could cause a 500VA transformer to overheat. My gut feeling would be to go for a transformer with a minimum continuous rating of 1kVA. This should allow operation of the fridge, and small devices such as phone chargers etc. The weight of a 1kVA transformer would be about 9kg.

You should also consider how you are going to connect to US site supplies, of which I have no experience. However I have encountered Canadian site supplies, which I expect would be compatible. The fully rated supplies in Canada where rated at 30A, and accepted a rather large plug and 30A cable. A smaller cable such as our UK 2.5 sq mm csa type, would not be adequately protected. If weight is not a problem you could use a 3kVA rated site supply transformer like this. You would need to fit a US waterproof connector.

My last trip to Canada was many years ago, it is possible that lower rated power outlets were available. Perhaps some research is needed?

Alan

Archived