12 volt freezers

weldted

Hi anyone use one of these, our new van has a really small freezer compartment, so wondering about one of these. Only to put already frozen food in. Will have 420 watts of solar two 95 amp agm batteries, small Genny when remote (always consider others before the anti Genny brigade starts) and will be using sites/Aires with hook up every few days.

We have bought a Dometic cfx28. This is to replace our old Waco 12 v freezer which has become unreliable.

The new one is both 12v and 230v which has advantages when we are on sites.

Chose this model cos power use age is low. Got just before locjkdown in readiness for a trip up Norway which will no longer be happening this year.

Petrr

I've been using a Waeco CDF18 (now Dometic) in my camper for years and I think it is a brilliant bit of kit. If it was to stop working I have no doubt I would buy another albeit I would look for one that plugs directly into the mains rather that using a separate power supply. The bigger units have more sophisticated power and temperature management systems.

Just a couple of things to consider:

The power used is more than the specification might seem to suggest. If you are using it as a freezer I suspect the compressor will be running quite a bit of the time. You can find the wattage of the compressor so you can work out the likely consumption but allow a healthy margin for efficiency losses.

The voltage at which the battery monitor cuts the supply is quite low even in the high sensitivity setting and I am not sure whether it fully protects the battery from discharging lower than is optimal.

Neither is a deal breaker and as I said above, I think the fridge is a brilliant bit of kit.

Peter

Archived