Electric scooters

crocs

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-02 8:11 AM

As Steve has said above there are other big-tyre electric scooters, but the ‘on road’ Tubby Tyre versions are UK road legal.

The reason I asked about the manufacturer of these scooters was prompted by a statement on the Amplitude Media website

https://amplitudemedia.co.uk/portfolio-item/tubby-tyre-scooter-company-portfolio/

that says

"THE TUBBY TYRE SCOOTER COMPANY

The Tubby Tyre Scooter Company is a Midlands-based retailer of cool, eco-friendly, road legal, electric scooters. When Tubby Tyre approached us late in 2018, they were about to launch their first scooter range and wanted help from a local creative agency to create a launch campaign. They turned to Amplitude Media for help.

As long as something is well made I’m generally unconcerned over where it comes from - but I'd still like to know.

Hi Derek

Yes, our scooters do begin their life in China, and typically it is these that you're seeing on other websites.

When the scooters arrive, we replace any parts that aren't UK road compliant plus we add a host of additional parts - actually there is very little waste as we've tailored the original build to include as few non-compliant parts as possible. We also stock replacement parts, in case of failure or damage - this gives our customers peace of mind that they'll not be stuck with a broken down scooter waiting weeks for parts to be shipped from China. Of course we hope any broken down scooters are very few and far between.

We are classed as the manufacturer as the final product is specific and unique to us and it is the result of the changes and additions we've made to the original. We're also recognised by the DVSA & DVLA as such. The use of the word retailer in the Amplitude Media piece is also correct, as we retail the scooters we've manufactured.

Thanks for your ongoing interest.

Best regards

Steve

Will86 - 2020-04-01 2:22 PM

The moderators who do their best to control the content on this forum are not police and I see it as quite out of order to refer to them as such. They are normal everyday people who have a dedicated interest in Motorhomes and the problems that arise in their everyday use.

Its not helpful when people add titles that don't befit their purpose.

Moderators police the forums as in govern quid pro quo they police the forums so they can legitimately be called the forum police .

Ocsid - 2020-04-01 3:52 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-01 3:00 PM

I would have thought you would get standard breakdown cover like you would take out for any bike. However with just a 30 mile range your never going to be far from the van. leave it, get back to the van and go pick it up.

I used to have it for a motorbike, which I suppose this is, but never for my push bike or more recently e-bike, but you are probably right cover would be available. I just imagine that roadside tyre repair of replacement from say the AA, could be "challenging", at least till these things become mainstream.

For shopping, as now I suspect it will only be for the day to day needs, not the week's main shop and just as with my bike, a rucksack suffices. More recently I have panniers, which I like and no doubt an accesory serving that role in some manner, maybe like the Brompton bags will be available, but I note the website on accessories is not yet up and running.

I have annual breakdown cover for the scooter (probably not needed now) and Im sure its only about thirty quid or something. Totally necessary for us as we could be 50 miles from the van 7000 ft up in the Alps. Have had to use it on a few occasions over the years. Worst one was in the Lake district and it was sub zero temperatures. Nearly froze to death waiting for recovery.

Tubby Tyre Scooter - 2020-04-01 4:48 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-01 3:00 PM

I would have thought you would get standard breakdown cover like you would take out for any bike. However with just a 30 mile range your never going to be far from the van. leave it, get back to the van and go pick it up.

at 65kg you might get some interest in the double seat version. Its 35 KG less than the lightest of motor scooters. Not for me but I can see some might find it a fun and useful addition. Main use I can see would be parking at an aire or spot outside of town and using it to get to where you want to be for sightseeing or shopping without taking the van. For shopping though ideally you need a top box and under seat storage.

Hi Barryd999

Thanks for your post.

Yes, we also saw the scooters being convenient for a quick trip into town for provisions and for exploring the countryside or coast.

We're currently working on a storage box, yet think a rucsack would still work.

Cheers

Steve

I would have thought a box over that rear mud guard could fit as an add on option perhaps. Back pack is also a good idea of course and we have on occasion used one. Looking at that long foot plate I Reckon you could easily carry a full toilet cassette on it or a 25 litre water carrier. Short distances obviously but yes I can see how this could be a useful fun scooter to carry about on a motorhome.

As for getting parts, tyres etc as long as you can supply them I dont see that being an issue. Generally I have found in mainland Europe if I need a tyre I can never get one same day anyway and they have to be ordered in. In France in 2009 I snapped a drive belt on a Peugeot Speedfight II (A french bike note) and no dealer could get me one. I had to have one shipped from the UK and the whole process took a week! So if you can DHL tyres and other essentials 24 hour courier to anywhere in Europe and make that a selling point then I reckon some motorhomers will be interested.

pagey - 2020-04-02 2:13 PM

it is all electric scooters on ebay must have that statment on the ad if it was not road legal why would it have a v5 re read the ad

I don't need to reread the add, it says 'Road registered', then shows a scooter which is not road legal plus a bag of mirrors etc, then a V5c which doesn't apply to either the scooter in photo's or it was after the photo's where taken, it then goes on to state "Warning: It is illegal to ride electric scooters on public roads, pavements, or cycle paths. They are intended only for use on private land with the owner’s permission."

It is typical of a eBay add for something which is not quite as advertised

This is a genuine electric scooter from the renowned company EcoRider, not low quality product!

Advantages of Ecorider LT019:

? The only patented Harley E-motor model design.

? Fashionable design.

? Battery: High quality Lithium-ion battery with 60v

20Ah

? Seamless steel tube structure, eyeball catching design, 65kgs.

? Disc brake,LED light.

? 1000W motor ,Lithium-ion Battery.

? Max speed 25km/40km

? Range 35-40km (trust me I have tested one and that’s the best a 60v 20Ah battery can take you!...don’t believe the “60-80km” range that other companies claim)

? UK registered, road legal, £0 tax road .

? Alarm.

? Keyless go.

? Steering lock.

What is a “scooter”?

When I was a kid in the 40s and early 50s, a scooter was a simple metal 2-wheel child’s toy (often Triang-branded) that could be ‘scooted’ along with one’s foot. Then came the influx of petrol-engined small-wheel frameless motorcycles made by Vespa, Lambretta, etc, and these were also called scooters - though you could definitely not ’scoot’ them.

Nowadays there are electrically-powered motorcycles (called scooters) that follow the Vespa/Lambretta philosophy (examples on this Peugeot webpage)

https://www.peugeotscooters.co.uk/scooter/38/peugeot-e-ludix-electric-scooter-electric-moped

and these are fully road-legal in the UK.

There are also means of transport similar in principle to the Triang toy models (and that can be ‘scooted’) but with the addition of a low-power electric motor, and these are (currently) illegal for on-road use in the UK.

The fat-tyred type of electrically-powered ‘scooter’ that has recently begun to appear is, in fact, a motorcycle and, as such, in the UK must comply with the UK regulations that govern motorcycles. Hence the need to have the appropriate driving-licence entitlement, insurance, training, etc. and for the machine to meet DVSA approval before it can be registered.

Steve has explained this and said that only their two ‘on-road’ models meet the UK’s technical criteria.

The price stated in one of the posts at £1750, seems incredibly cheap & the majority of "pavement" only mobility scooters would exceed that.

Prior to my wife's death she had a Road Legal Electric Wheelchair (fully registered & insured) that cost in excess of £8k & that was back in 2012.

Admittedly, it was purchased with very good "offroad" capability being a major consideration, allowing her to still access country footpaths.

She never actually used in on the road, being restricted to a top speed of 8mph, didn't give her confidence amongst traffic.

It also had a pavement mode set at 4mph.

I don't know if speed limits have changed, put suspect not.

As norm, buyer beware, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Archived