engine managment light

bluethunder

I have a Autoquest Majestic 155 based on a Peugot Boxer 2.2l engine that is a ford engine,about every couple of hundred miles the EML comes on, The engine does not go into limp mode and there is no drop in power or mpg,this has happened about 5 times,several garages have looked at it and all scratch there head after charging me £45 to clear the so called fault,it has been suggested that it was a earth fault from the engine this has been changed and it still happens,also they say it might be a module in the main engine management unit but they dont know which one/

I purchased a fault code reader for OBD 2 engine (streetwise) and it will not read on my motorhome,although it does on wifes car,has any one any idea what the heck is going on and what fault code reader if any will work on this vehicle ,many thanks.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Michael.

This late-2013 forumthread discussed OBD-port readers for post 2006 (X250) Peugeot Boxers

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/OBD-Scanner-for-X2-50/33541/

and it’s worth reading Dave Newell's comments.

This link advertises a diagnostic tool (£99) for the Boxer

http://www.ukprodiagnostics.co.uk/pages/citroen_code_readers_225594-z=710845&p=101604.cfm#content_item_101604

but if the ‘professional’ equipment likely to be available to the garages that have looked at your vehicle haven’t been able to accurately diagnose the cause of the warning-light illuminating, I’m doubtful that you’d do any better. (Having said that, as the warning-light illuminating has not affected the vehicle’s performance, perhaps all you want the diagnostic tool for is to turn off the light when it comes on.)

Presumably, when the warning light has illuminated and you’ve consulted the garages, there was a fault code stored in your Boxer’s memory and you know what that code was? (I’m also assuming that the code was the same each time?) If you can say what the fault-code was, a forum member may be able to advise further.

I had similar issues with the 2.2 hdi in our then 3 year old AS Warwick Duo several years ago. The light would come on at random times and sometimes go out again following stop and restart. Stalling the engine always made it come on.

Like you I became tired of paying silly money to find and clear no faults so I bought one of these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006WG7KGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The issue was discussed on the forum and others bougfht the same or a similar fault code reader and for some it worked and for others it did not.

Sometimes a fault would show and be cleared but never the same fault twice, as I recall. The van ran OK and we never did get to the bottom of it. I did fit a supplementary earth strap in accordance with the views at the time but it made no difference.

We changed the van for a similarly engined 2 year old AS Executive Anniversary and that never did show the warning light.

Sorry but I don't know how to stop it as there is always the worry when far from home that it might become both inconvenient and expensive, but ours never did.

bluethunder - 2020-04-10 12:50 PM

I have a Autoquest Majestic 155 based on a Peugot Boxer 2.2l engine that is a ford engine,about every couple of hundred miles the EML comes on, The engine does not go into limp mode and there is no drop in power or mpg,this has happened about 5 times,several garages have looked at it and all scratch there head after charging me £45 to clear the so called fault,it has been suggested that it was a earth fault from the engine this has been changed and it still happens,also they say it might be a module in the main engine management unit but they dont know which one/

I purchased a fault code reader for OBD 2 engine (streetwise) and it will not read on my motorhome,although it does on wifes car,has any one any idea what the heck is going on and what fault code reader if any will work on this vehicle ,many thanks.

That the engine has not gone into limp mode is a good indication but after 'several' garages have failed to diagnose isn't so good, especially as it's still coming back on. Have you tried a Peugeot main dealer?

Thankfully my one and only experience of EM light was diagnosed by a Bosch garage in less than five minutes which showed the fuel pump electronics had gone belly up. Ford 2.5TDi engine used the Lucas Epic pump which is no longer manufactured. So i switched to a Bosch mechanical pump fitted. It meant new injectors and the pump had to be converted to run with the turbo but also it thankfully got rid of the silly 'fly by wire' electronics. The job wasn't cheap, but the only way to get back up and running.

It can come on when emissions go above normal for a short while, and you never find out the cause.

Might be a intake of bad air, maybe caused by a build up of muck in the manifold being dislodged, or whatever.

Happens with many modern vehicles occasionally

I had similar on a Fiat 3 litre it turned out to be a bad connection on the second radiator fan if I was climbing a hill on in traffic on a hot day not realised that when the second fan was needed the elm light came on as the fan didn’t kick in. Same no limp no loss of power but light stayed on even when engine cooled down four trips to the main dealer failed to find it but to be fair unusual.

Archived