Obstruction in the wiped area of windscreen

dipsticks

On our PVC (Ford Transit / Auto Sleeper Duetto) the rear vision from the Ford fitted rear view mirror is almost non existant, just half the offside rear window. Iv'e just fitted a rear facing camera with a display such that a full rear view is seen on the screen.

I don't want to remove the Ford rear view mirror as it's fixed to the expensive heated front windscreen.

I've read about obstructions on the screen in the wiped area by way of satnavs, phone holders etc. I'd prefer to fit this rear view display/monitor just to the right of the Ford rear view mirror but it would fall within the wiped area.

Does anyone have any idea how this would be considered by a MOT Engineer please ?

It is a judgement to be made by the tester, see here http://tinyurl.com/saxjers It is not practically possible to give a definitive answer in advance. You would have to consult the foregoing linked government instructions for testers, and decide on that basis whether you think your monitor might create such an obstruction that a tester would fail it.

If you remain unsure, do you have a friendly tester you could consult?

Alternatively, could you site the monitor on the right hand end of the dashboard, so that it is seen against the windscreen "A pillar", rather than a clear area of the windscreen? That way, you can check both the offside external mirror and the rear view monitor in much the same glance. I find this arrangement particularly useful on dual carriageways etc.

I have a rear view monitor fixed to the rear view mirror, and never had a problem

at MOT time, It's also passed with the dash cam fitted in the bottom of the screen,

and the 7" sat nav mounted centrally on the dash. you can't see the dash cam for

the sat nav anyway. So I don't worry about it. ( passed an taxi ambulance the other

day with a mobile phone/sat nav mounted right in front of drivers face !!!!! ).

stay safe and well. Love the NHS

Steve.

As has been said above, the MOT inspection manuals’ “Visibility” section provides thr tester with a fair amount of latitude where the placement of a device like a camera monitor or dash-cam is concerned.

This link advises on the legality aspect

https://www.cameramatics.com/vehicle-cameras-and-the-law-legally-acceptable-placement-of-cameras-on-windscreens/

and the '40mm rule’ is also referred to here

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dash-cams/article/dash-cams-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know

You may be breaking the law if you install your dash cam incorrectly It's extremely important that your dash cam cannot in any way be deemed to be obstructing your field of vision while driving. If the police decide it's positioned unsafely, you could be fined and footage recorded on it could be rendered inadmissible in court.

A spokesperson for the Department for Transport (DfT) told us: ‘Drivers must ensure they have a clear view of the road and traffic ahead at all times. This includes placing smartphones, dash cams or other items in an appropriate position, so they do not restrict their vision.’

The Highway Code states that any obstructions cannot be more than 40mm into the area swept by the windscreen wiper blades.

Regarding removing a motorhome’s interior rear-view mirror, I THINK this 2010 guidance still applies

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mirrors-on-motor-vehicles/summary-of-requirements-for-mirrors-on-motor-vehicles

It will be noted that, for cars (and this should also apply to motorhomes) ‘used’ (ie. UK registered) after 26 January 2010, an external rear-view mirror is mandatory on each side of the vehicle and an internal rear-view mirror is also required "(unless the internal mirror cannot provide an adequate view to the rear"

My Rapido motorhome has no window in its rear body-panel, so an internal mirror is not mandatory (Fortunate as I accidentally knocked the standard mirror off the windscreen) but I don’t know where “an adequate view” would cease being adequate enough to allow no internal mirror to be legally required.

Thanks very much for all your informative replies.

As mentioned by Brian, my first choice of position for the monitor would be the RH side of the dashboard, but this is where, for years my phone acting as satnav, is located. If I put them both there (above one another) it would impair the laterel vision through the screen.

I have temporaily installed the monitor to the immediate RH side of the original mirror as high as possible and as far as I see it, it only obstructs a bit of 'sky'. In consideration of the statement in the documents from the link Brian kindly provided it says.............

"You should only fail the windscreen if the view is significantly affected. If only the driver’s view of the sky or the bonnet is affected, it should not be rejected "

So maybe it's OK up there.

I must say the wipers wipe a very generous area of the screen, almost wiping the roof on the drivers side. The N/S wiper is about 4cms shorter than the O/S blade so I guess I could fit 2 x N/S blades in order to not sweep the area where the monitor could be. But that would be cheating or not ?

Searching my old memory cells, I do know friendly tester I could consult with, so will try him for the time being and let you all know what he says. Thanks again.

431345759_rearview.jpg.520ec1f6d17302d01d95ce69d2a706b0.jpg

You'll note that a MOT tester is permitted to remove an 'obstructing' device ( eg. a sat-nav), but (assuming that you aren't going to permanently fix the monitor in place) as has been said above, just remove the monitor yourself prior to the MOT test and put it back afterwards.

Yes I can't do that unfortunately Derek as the design of the monitor mount has a 3M sticky pad base and the swivel knuckle is integral and won't separate. So once it's fitted it's there for good, I would think destroying it would be the only way to get it off, or at least make it not worth the trouble.

Not to worry, my friendly tester took a look at the same phopgraph and said.........................................

"I would say in my opinion where it is placed in the picture is fine"

So when we all get going again and it needs a freah MOT I'll find out how similar an understanding of the song sheets these testers have ! *-)

Archived