Stranded Motorhome

Boris999

I understand the seriousness of the Covid-19 situation, having a close relative who is affected by it and I am living responsibly.

My motorhome is languishing in the storage area of a leading club. I am being denied access to my property even though the law allows for essential maintenance. Without attention, as we’re aware, any motor vehicle deteriorates. I am in a complete impasse with this organisation. This includes any help from this organisation to help make vehicles roadworthy once restrictions are over. Despite explaining in clear detail what I consider to be a very clear line of argument, my interlocutors are intransigent. There is no need for me to have any contact with any other individual in order for me to reach my motorhome, which is stored in the open air. A journey for a work purpose is permitted.

This is a situation that must be affecting many of us. I wonder if other folk are having a similar problem? Alternatively, can any one advise me, please.

Thank you.

Guest pelmetman

We have been in lockdown for a few weeks ;-) ..........

The biggest problem your camper will suffer.....at the moment is a flat battery ;-) ......

After a few months it will look filthy if its stored outside :-S .......

But just dusty if stored inside ;-) ........

After a year or more then you'll likely fail the MOT because of square tyres :-| .....

Well that was my experience with Horace about 25 years ago :D ........

He still got us back from Spain in 3 days towing a trailer B-) ......

Just sayin.......

Guest pelmetman
BruceM - 2020-04-18 4:02 PM

I understand your frustration. Out of interest, what maintenance would you perform if you could gain access to your van and how often would you want to perform it? Also, how far away is the van from where you live?

Not a lot would be the answer ;-) .......

As the mechanicals would likely need input from a garage that is still in lockdown :-| ........

If he broke down taking it for a drive ;-) ........

Whilst I appreciate the situation you are in, essential maintenance is deemed as work required to maintain an essential service or to protect your home or place of business. I don’t think you could class your Motorhome as an essential service unless it was your only home. I am sure there are plenty of front line workers who would rather work on something possibly deemed non essential and not life threatening. Whilst you are travelling to your Motorhome, you may need fuel, break down or heaven forbid have and accident. Bringing you into possible contact with others. Your Motorhome will survive at worst you may have to buy a new battery. Spen the time planning where you may go when this is over. Stay safe, stay home, protect others.

When you do go to collect it be sure to take a fully charged heavy duty spare battery and/or a good quality set of heavy duty jump leads with you.

If it is in a secure location be thankful that the van and contents are safe and the worst that is likely to befall it is the need for a new battery or two.

Could be worse - at least it will be intact and you will hopefully be alive.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2020-04-18 5:30 PM

When you do go to collect it be sure to take a fully charged heavy duty spare battery and/or a good quality set of heavy duty jump leads with you.

If it is in a secure location be thankful that the van and contents are safe and the worst that is likely to befall it is the need for a new battery or two.

Plus its spring.....so the mice wont be making hay in COVID UK 2020 :D ......

Boris999 - 2020-04-18 3:30 PM

I understand the seriousness of the Covid-19 situation, having a close relative who is affected by it and I am living responsibly.

My motorhome is languishing in the storage area of a leading club. I am being denied access to my property even though the law allows for essential maintenance. Without attention, as we’re aware, any motor vehicle deteriorates. I am in a complete impasse with this organisation. This includes any help from this organisation to help make vehicles roadworthy once restrictions are over. Despite explaining in clear detail what I consider to be a very clear line of argument, my interlocutors are intransigent. There is no need for me to have any contact with any other individual in order for me to reach my motorhome, which is stored in the open air. A journey for a work purpose is permitted.

This is a situation that must be affecting many of us. I wonder if other folk are having a similar problem? Alternatively, can any one advise me, please.

Thank you.

We have just lost a Sister in law and our Brother in Law to the Virus, our Niece is a NHS Nurse working in intensive care and has confirmed Covid Infection, so how I wish my only worry was a stranded Motor home in secure storage, this Virus is going to kill a lot more people before it is done so sit tight at home ,stay safe and let your worries dissipate.

BruceM - 2020-04-18 4:02 PM

I understand your frustration. Out of interest, what maintenance would you perform if you could gain access to your van and how often would you want to perform it? Also, how far away is the van from where you live?

Thanks for your reply. I live five miles from where my unit is stored.

I am mainly concerned about the handbrake and battery.

Tracker - 2020-04-18 5:30 PM

Thank you.

It's not uncommon for the handbrake to rust on but it might depend on how tight you pulled it on when you left it but it usually frees itself when you pull away, or you may need to rock the van between first and reverse to break it free. It may happen soundlessly or ther may be a loud clunk but I doubt there will be any permanent damage and pulling the handbrake on and off whilst driving will help clean off any residual rust.

With the advent of dual hydraulic circuit footbakes the handbrake is only a parking brake on most vans these days and it has little effect in meaningful retardation so even if it drags, apart from overheating, you might well get away with it.

In any case I suspect that if it was going to stick it already has done over the winter and I doubt a few more weeks will make a lot of difference.

Just a personal view based on years of dealing with the same issues but when parking on level ground I used to leave the van in gear and chock each rear wheel both front and back of the tyre and leave the pesky parking brake off.

I'd be inclined to just leave it. It's up to the storage facility to decide who they let in. Granted it is your property, however, is it really worth the risk? After all it is just a motorhome and I can't imagine any serious impact a few months will make. Our previous motorhome was in storage and I once left it for about 4 months with no adverse issues.

Guest pelmetman
goldi - 2020-04-20 9:40 AM

Good morning,

I once left a van 5 months without staring or moving it and it was ok. Some of the panel vans are left for months on end before being sold.

5 months :D ........

I left Horace for 18 months whilst I was besotted with our new yacht :$ .......

He cost me a new set of tyres and 2 batteries 8-) .......

That was a wake up call for us with a camper that was just 5 year old ;-) ......

The only issue you are going to have in ~3 months or so will be a flat battery. If its been left flat for a while then it will likely need replacing (it will let you down next winter!).

Show up with a jump-starter like this https://amzn.to/3czrWo1 (they are excellent used mine to start several folks cars/vans but not yet my own!)

Since your vehicle is outdoors, you might also wish to consider a cheap solar trickle charger such as: https://amzn.to/2KlwYbF

Ring do an adapter so that you can connect this to a permanent 12V feed via the vehicles' diagnostic port. On most vehicles the cigarette socket is not live when you turn off the ignition so the cable saves needing to get access to the battery for croc-clips. See: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-accessories/ring-obd-power-cable-for-solar-battery-maintainers-983932.html

Karen

Archived