Replacing Boxer door mirror - Where is electrical connector?

GJH

The passenger (nearside) door mirror on our 2004 Boxer based MH got banged back onto the door and the lower of the two mirror glasses broke.

Having checked prices I found it was as cheap to replace the full, electrically operated, original with a manual mirror assembly as to buy a new mirror glass (dealer part only). I now have a new manual mirror and have ascertained that it is the correct fitting.

In my naivety I expected there to be a connecting plug and socket in the electrical wiring somewhere close to the mirror assembly which I could separate to take the old assembly off - but I can't see where it might be.

Because the new mirror is a manual one it doesn't have a length of cable attached which will give any guidance as to approximately how far from the mirror the connector should be.

I don't want to start taking bits of trim off in a willy-nilly fashion so thought I would ask - does anyone know how I get to the connector?

Graham

Graham, I don't know the answer to your question, but would it not be easier just to swap the mirror glass over from new one to old. Also I would have thought the connector would be inside the door panel and easily pulled out through the wiring hole to access it.

J.

Have just checked the glass out - it is a different part number so would need the mounting relaced as well for the electrical mount. However glass is under £20 from dealer according to parts price list I have so certianly cheaper than a new mirror assembly.

J.

Graham

I'm surprised the glass alone is as expensive as the manual mirror asembly, are you sure you were quoted the correct prices?

The connectors for the electrical supply to the remote oparated, heated, mirror are within the door cavity.  Cables run through the rubber arm shrouds and enter the door through the mirror mounting plate.  You'll have to remove the door pull/armrest, cubby box, internal door release, electric window switches, trim panel, and then cut the vapour/splash membrane behind that.  Follow the cables down from the mirror mount to a crossrail, and you should find a multi-pin plug and socket arrangement attached to the back of the rail (i.e. within the door cavity).  You'll probably need a combination of internal hex, torxx and posidrive screwdrivers, as usual.  One fixing type being far too radical an idea!

Good luck!

Brambles - 2007-03-08 11:28 PM. Also I would have thought the connector would be inside the door panel and easily pulled out through the wiring hole to access it.J.
Thanks for your reply - Yes, that's what I expected.
Brambles - 2007-03-08 11:37 PMHave just checked the glass out - it is a different part number so would need the mounting relaced as well for the electrical mount. However glass is under £20 from dealer according to parts price list I have so certianly cheaper than a new mirror assembly.J.
Brian Kirby - 2007-03-09 12:01 AM I'm surprised the glass alone is as expensive as the manual mirror asembly, are you sure you were quoted the correct prices?
First thing I did was ring our local Peugeot dealer. The parts guy checked and double checked because he couldn't believe the price. £61 for the bit of glass and the neck end of 200 quid for a mirror assembly. Then there would be VAT on top of course I then checked on-line and rang round local independent suppliers and couldn't find an after-market replacement glass. Apparently electrically operated mirror assemblies for post 2002 vans aren't available on the independent market either. The cost of the complete manual assembly was £62.50, including VAT, and I thought replacement would be simple - it is apart from the wiring.
Brian Kirby - 2007-03-09 12:01 AMThe connectors for the electrical supply to the remote oparated, heated, mirror are within the door cavity.  Cables run through the rubber arm shrouds and enter the door through the mirror mounting plate.  You'll have to remove the door pull/armrest, cubby box, internal door release, electric window switches, trim panel, and then cut the vapour/splash membrane behind that.  Follow the cables down from the mirror mount to a crossrail, and you should find a multi-pin plug and socket arrangement attached to the back of the rail (i.e. within the door cavity).  You'll probably need a combination of internal hex, torxx and posidrive screwdrivers, as usual.  One fixing type being far too radical an idea!

Good luck!

Thanks Brian. As they say in these parts "what a clart on". As the cabling will be redundant I might just cut and tape off each each individual wire.Graham

I would try a Fiat dealer , I think Peugoet must have an error in their price lists. It seems a shame to lose your electrical functions and having to pay more for the privilage. I am convinced the peugoet dealer has misled you so should be obliged to take back what he has sold you.

Jon.

Brambles - 2007-03-09 8:08 AM

I would try a Fiat dealer , I think Peugoet must have an error in their price lists. It seems a shame to lose your electrical functions and having to pay more for the privilage. I am convinced the peugoet dealer has misled you so should be obliged to take back what he has sold you.

Jon.

Thanks Jon. Unfortunately I think the Peugeot price was correct. The parts guy looked up the system using the VIN number - and the embarrassment in his voice when he came back to me spoke volumes.

Graham

But the point I am trying to make is the system is wrong. Fiat have it listed at under £20. It does happen and some one enters decimal point in the wrong place. He should have checked with the dealer support people. I get so angry when people say. Thats what the computer says so must be correct, and will never take it up to a human level and have it checked out.

Jon.

A big "Thank You" Jon.

Just rung the Fiat dealer and their price is £21.54. At that price it's worth having a go at replacing the glass rather than the whole lot. We'll be going into the Fiat dealer later this morning to order and pay for one.

Thanks again,

Graham

Hi,

Just in case you are not sure the glass is held on by what amounts to a large circlip and you can unhook the 2 lose ends of this by tilting the mirror as far as it will go then using a small thin screwdriver just unhook each end and push them open as far as possible.

When you put the new mirror back, i found that the circlip needed to be in-place and clipped in, I did take a sharp intake of breath when i applied pressure to it but it did just clip over and that's it ??

Hope this helps.

Hi I was given the web site of a company that supplies these mirrors at around half price but i can't find it at the moment,

Hi just found the thread that the link was on have a look at this :-

http://www.motorhometoday.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=641

Thanks Jon, help much appreciated.

Also, thanks to Brian for the fitting tip. I had the impression that it was a stick-on replacement piece but we shall see on Tuesday when it is due at the dealer :-)

Graham

Graham

Brian's right.  It's a bit of a fiddle, but with the clip released as he says, all becomes (reasonably!) clear.

I forgot you'd said Peugeot when I queried the price!  I was fairly sure my bits had been cheaper, just forgot they were Fiat!  I think there is a general rule there, somewhere, Peugeot spares are much cheaper from Fiat dealers!  Just check they are the same parts.  Most seem to be, except for variations between the PSA  and Fiat (SOFIM) engines.

Thanks Brian.

Looking at suppliers on the web it seems that the Ducato and Boxer mirrors are the same for the equivalent aged models. Also, the guy at Fiat took me through the exploded diagram on the computer system and it looks to be the same part. He actually made a comment about it being daft that prices are different seeing as they are all built in the same factory.

Hopefully all will be well on Tuesday when I get it :-)

Many thanks to everyone for their help.

Graham

Brian Kirby - 2007-03-09 3:51 PM

Graham

Brian's right.  It's a bit of a fiddle, but with the clip released as he says, all becomes (reasonably!) clear.

I forgot you'd said Peugeot when I queried the price!  I was fairly sure my bits had been cheaper, just forgot they were Fiat!  I think there is a general rule there, somewhere, Peugeot spares are much cheaper from Fiat dealers! 

Interesting, I have the impression Peugoet dealers are cheaper, but that may be because my local Pug dealer will give me some discount and Fiat won't. However the fuel filter is dearer from Pug. Maybe pays to get a a price from both on expensive items. However I have started buying mail order from Desira group - they sell on Ebay but will source any part you need and are very good price wise on service items like filters, and the genteman I dealt with there on phone was brilliant.

fred grant - 2007-03-09 10:38 PM

why not try citroen dealers my handsomes?fred

Contacted them for service & MOT on our Berlingo - went somewhere else to keep me arms & legs (lol)

Graham

Replacement mirror glass came into the Fiat dealership as promised this morning and is now fitted on the van.

So, a big thanks to all for the help - especially the tip about the circlip (it's a heck of a big 'un isn't it) as without that I'd still be puzzling how to get the old one off :-)

Graham

You were (relatively) lucky.  When the same happened to our mirror, the glasses all remained intact, but the cast alloy cage inside the mirror head snapped where it bolted to one of the support arms.  No repair possible, so a new mirror at £170 was the only answer.  And that was the Fiat price!  Well done!

Archived