Scooter insurance got expensive?

StuartO

I gave up motorcycling proper six or seven years ago but I've been looking into using a scooter with our MH and I'm thinking of getting a used 110 or 125cc scooter (cheaply) so that my wife and I could pop to the shops when touring abroad etc - just that really, nothing more extensive. I passed the advanced rider test and had 9 years NCB when I gave up but that's expired of course, but I still reckon I'm a low risk rider.So I was expecting an insurance quotation under £100 and was surprised that Carol Nash quoted £277, which admittedly included breakdown and  foreign travel but still seemed dear.  I then went to a comparison website and got a range of quotes (for comprehensive cover) starting at £135 and going up to well over £250.

What do folk pay to insure a scooter these days?  Should I be asking for just third party cover?  Would it be more sensible to get a couple of electric bicycles?

Hi Stuart, you are doing ok from £135, we still ride so have max NCB, we used to carry a Honda innova 125 on back of our hymer, about 100kg, step through same as c90, they are cheapish to insure as the youths are not interested in them, Honda wave very similar but 110cc and Suzuki address fl125 copy of innova 125cc, these three bikes are all 4 speed auto clutch same as c90, I would not buy anything twist and go that small, it will struggle with belt drive, other point we always had to pay loads more dosh if wanted more than more than 90 days euro cover, when wintering in Spain, maybe not a problem now with restrictions after leaving eu?

Look on eBay there are always a couple on there, 3.5 litre fuel tank but will get you 100 miles, no batteries to charge if not on ehu, good low mileage ones around £1500, we loved ours had two ideal tender to the mother ship,

I paid £107 for insurance on a 125cc scooter in Dec 19, this was with MCE insurance as they give more than the 90 days in Europe. We use a Chinese copy of a Vespa, it's great for nipping about and only weighs 100kg, also very cheap to buy secondhand. You should pick one up for less than £1000.

Can't comment on scooter insurance, but Carole Nash are just plain expensive for motorcycles these days.

I have been with Hastings Direct for my RE Interceptor 650 for two years - they were nearly a third of the CN original quote this year, though CN did "haggle" down to "only" £100 more than the HD premium, but nearly half of their original quote.

Part of the issue with CN is the non-negotiable bundling in of features that you may not want, but they don't seem to want to be competitive at present.

From what I can recall, TPO or TPF&T cover doesn't save a lot now - sometimes Comprehensive is cheaper !

I don't have the payload to carry a scooter onboard & if I am going to trailer I would rather take "proper" motorcycles to have fun in the mountains. When not taking the trailer, two electric bikes work well for us - F&T insurance covered by an extension of our Houshold Contents insurance. E-Bikes carried on a towbar mounted bike rack to make loading easier & cope with the weight - one trip lugging them up onto a normal wall mounted bike rack was enough for me.

Nigel B.

Cant remember what i paid for mine this year but I think it was slightly cheaper than last year after i haggled a bit. About £70 I think fully comp (not always worth trying 3rd party). Breakdown is with some other company, about £30 a year from memory.

Most of our insurance is cheap. dunno if its the area we live in.

Deffheads - 2020-04-26 11:17 AM

I paid £107 for insurance on a 125cc scooter in Dec 19, this was with MCE insurance as they give more than the 90 days in Europe. We use a Chinese copy of a Vespa, it's great for nipping about and only weighs 100kg, also very cheap to buy secondhand. You should pick one up for less than £1000.

I think it was MCE which quoted me £135.  What's the brand name and model for the Chinese Vespa; i.e. what do I search for on EBay?

Hi, search AJS Modena 125cc, great little scooter, easy to service, no oil filter, just drain down and refill. We have run ours now for 3 years, only cost £800 with helmet and jacket and 800 miles on clock. Good as gold but if in wet, change front tyre as Chinese tyres are rubbish! Ebay at mo one for sale with 1200 miles on it.

Recently renewed with CAMC who use Devitt as brokers.

Based on Honda PCX 125, fully comp, NCB 7 years, 90 days europe. Basic £97 but added personal accident at extra of £36. Damage excess £250. Annual mileage 500 miles. Only really use it for local trips when away in MH. Devitt use Zenith insurance.

Have used Hastings Direct but had great difficulty contacting them by phone to discuss renewal quote, so went elsewhere.

If it's any help I'm with Wicked Quotes:- Honda 500 1998 £75 for Comp £200 excess 9 years NCB SD and P and on a separate policy Aprillia 850 2009 £115 for comp £400 excess 6 years NCB SD and P and commuting. Both 4000 miles per annum.

I think your postcode is one of the most important key drivers.

Archived