Caravan Guard

sshortcircuit

Caravan Guard  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After wasting 10 minutes on phone to get quote "because of value of MH we would require Thatcham? alarm and Imobiliser"

If they had said this at start I could have terminated call quicker as I will not be forced into purchasing a product that I have no knowledge of.

MMM this month have an item on a security system fitted to a MH. Having been in the alarm trade for over 25 years I find some of the statement questionable in this article. In addition the Panic Button shown leaves a lot to be desired

Absolutely no difficulty with telephone manners and I dont no how you came to that negative assumption.

Present insurer has not requested the restrictions required and cover would appear about same.

My point is I am not being pushed to have something fitted, at a considerable additional cost, that other do not require.

Well, from your post I thought the "product" you were referring to was the insurance and, since you claimed 25 years of alarm experience, I assumed you'd have heard of Thatcham as the organsiation that sets the vehicle alarm "gold standard".

I still can't see why this insurer's requirement for an alarm warranted your post, though.

Quite a number of insurers require motorhomes to be fitted with alarms, and most of those that do specify alarms to one or other of the Thatcham standards.  However, I'm sure they don't push you to buy particular makes of alarms, it's just that in return for what they will claim is a lower premium, they want you to have a Thatcham accredited alarm fitted.

You're right, you don't have to buy insurance from these firms.  You just have to decide if the expense of the alarm is balanced out by a lower insurance premium.  Some insurers insist on an alarm being fitted, some will give a discount for an alarm, others charge a higher premium if one is not fitted, others again, if I remember, don't even ask.  In the end, the choice is yours.

sshortcircuit - 2007-03-09 9:20 AM

After wasting 10 minutes on phone to get quote "because of value of MH we would require Thatcham? alarm and Imobiliser"

If they had said this at start I could have terminated call quicker as I will not be forced into purchasing a product that I have no knowledge of.

Just shows how people can take different meanings, I thought the 'complaint' was initially about it taking 10 minutes to find out about the requirement! :-S

Alarms make it more difficult to steal a vehicle and if you have a tracker it means it will quickly be found if it is nicked. I spent £45k on a new vehicle, the Sigma Category 1 alarm cost £695 and Phantom for 5 years £798. Considering the vulnerabilities of motorhomes I think this is like insurance, money well spent. I can also transfer my Phantom alarm to a new vehicle if I change. As far as the insurer is concerned they want to know the alarm model and if I were in their shoes so would I. I have been phoning round recently and the variability of call handling is like chalk and cheese. But a necessary part of motorhoming if you want value for money.

Guest bil h

By fitting expensive alarms the Insurance Companies are gaining hand over fist.

They get the consumer to fork out more dosh so they avoid loosing it.

Its the Insurance Companies who should pay for the cost of alarms and the anti theft fittings as its protecting their own coffers

OK so they reduce the annual payment, but its still their (larger) gain.

You are actually helping the Insurer to gain even more profit by adding various fittings.

You pays your money in the first instance to cover the loss, thats what its for.

Why should the consumer volunteer to assist them further.

The only down side is loosing one's 'dog kennel' so what

Says bil h

From BB

bil h - 2007-03-10 12:05 AM By fitting expensive alarms the Insurance Companies are gaining hand over fist. They get the consumer to fork out more dosh so they avoid loosing it. Its the Insurance Companies who should pay for the cost of alarms and the anti theft fittings as its protecting their own coffers OK so they reduce the annual payment, but its still their (larger) gain. You are actually helping the Insurer to gain even more profit by adding various fittings. You pays your money in the first instance to cover the loss, thats what its for. Why should the consumer volunteer to assist them further. The only down side is loosing one's 'dog kennel' so what Says bil h From BB

So, Bill, you have your dog kennel insured third party only, presumably?  Anything more would surely be superfluous?  No?

Well, if you want full comp insurance on your highly stealable property and its contents, you have to pay what the insurer demands, no? 

If he attaches conditions you don't like, find another insurer who doesn't attach those conditions.  Of course, the new insurer may, or may not, charge more as a consequence.  However, provided he tells you openly what are his conditions, what is wrong? 

You want an insurer who doesn't make a profit?  Well, don't expect an agreeable outcome if you are unfortunate enough to claim!  You want an insurer who doesn't try to limit his risk?  Ditto.

I'm sorry, but get and real do come to mind!

Brian,

A perfect response.

Insurance is a business, not a charitable institution.

Maybe the initiator of this thread should be ranting at the motorhome manufacturers who still fit cheap locks that can be broken with a small screwdriver to compartment doors, garage doors, and the main door to the caravan part. Would you believe that the spigot inside these locks consists of a piece of plastic 1mm square - hardly enough resistance to stop a five-year-old breaking in?

Mel E

====

Guest starspirit

As far as I know, and without wishing to exacerbate any ambiguity, Thatcham rated alarms are usually only an Insurance requirement for vans over £30,000 in value.

With the benefit of hindsight perhaps this the first question those of us with unalarmed vans should ask the Insurer when the phone is answered if only to avoid the risk of Mr Ambiguity sneaking in.

Archived