Is 2020 going to be a complete write off for motorhoming?

StuartO

I’m getting increasingly pessimistic about doing much motorhoming this year at all because of the virus outbreak, maybe not even the early part of 2021. Same about any chance of a holiday of more or less any sort. It’s a depressing prospect but at least my wife is putting up with me so far and our confined lifestyle is sustainable indefinitely. I feel really sorry for those who are not coping as well. 

We’re retired and over 70, or at least one of us is, and so we’re currently “shielding” at home, to avoid contact with the virus. No direct contact with children and grandchildren but we are Zooming and Whatsapping, so it could be worse. But if we want to stay alive we have to stick to shielding scrupulously and it’s going by to get more burdensome as it goes on longer and longer.  There is no exit strategy for us until there is either a reliable vaccine or a reliable treatment available, both of which are going to take a while.

Hey ho, just got to keep our fingers crossed and put up with it - all of us have to. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are much the same as you grounded, but enjoying the life as it happens, we are lucky to have a large garden to sit in and enjoy, we are pensioned so no income worries ,minimal family contact but that is OK , modern technology takes care of that we go shopping once a week for the main shop, and have a CO OP a short walk from our home for odds and sods, our van is in our Garden so can play with that as and when, I fitted a new water pump recently as the original was getting sluggish so things to do as and when, my wife loves crafting and is making all sorts of things from her huge stash of stuff collected at random over the years.

We were in FRANCE SPAIN AND PORTUGAL from November last year to mid March this year in our van so feel we have had a good Holiday this year. although we cut our trip short by a month because of the feared border closures which were imminent so left Spain 14th March for Calais and got the train on the 20th March home so all was well,

So yes we are stuck at home but still alive and well , we have lost 2 Family members to the Virus which was terrible , but life goes on death is the ultimate penalty as things are now so one has to isolate and stay safe, not being able to use the van is a small price to pay we think.

I'm thinking about motorhoming quite a bit, mainly a review of what could be done to improve our motorhoming, so how to face up to usually being technically overloaded when we go touring and whether there are any more gadgets or accessories I could genuinely make use of.

I've bought a box van trailer as the basis of the overloading solution, so we can transfer some weight to the trailer and end up with spare payload so we can probably take even more stuff with us, like the electric bikes/trikes I've been asking about on here. I used to have a 10 foot Ifor Williams box van trailer when I was motorcycling, to transport the bike which worked well for that - but it was too big and cumbersome without the motorcycle so I got rid.  This is a smaller one (eight feet long) of lighter construction, so easier to manhandle but still able to carry weight up to the MH's towing capacity, up to about 1,000 kg of extra payload.  I'm thinking of installing some IKEA shelving down one side for holding loose stuff and tie down rings on the other side for trike plus bike - but the shelving will be removalble because a box van trailer can be very handy sometimes for general load carrying when you're not motorhoming.

So far I think we are replete with motorhoming accessories and gadgets but doubtless I'll think of something.  I may have a whole year to do the pondering .......

No, I dont think it will be a complete right off hopefully. I think mainland Europe might be which presents us all with a bit of a problem.

I am guessing (and its pure speculation) that the restrictions will slowly be withdrawn over the next couple of months and maybe, just maybe we will be allowed out again to the countryside, beaches and perhaps campsites or CL's. However my worry there is unless people are back at work it will end up like the worst bank holiday weekend from hell. Everyone will head for the hot spots and nobody will likely be flying off or motorhoming abroad. I was thinking of contacting my favourite CL and just sounding them out for a space for a few weeks in advance should they re-open. Failing that ill be off wilding somewhere remote. Its all speculation of course but we cant say locked down forever. The economy wont stand it.

If your in the vulnerable category though or just dont want to take the risk then the safest way would be to stay as we are now until a vaccine is available or just take similar precautions if you go away in the van.

I have already cancelled the big trip (7 weeks) to France/Spain due to depart 2nd May and am hanging fire on the September trip. Fortunately we had a week in Yorkshire and N. Wales just as the lockdown was about to be implemented. Shortened the trip by a week, but at least we have had something.

I would be less pessimistic about the year ahead. Whilst the continent may be wisely avoided this year until we see how the virus develops, I look forward to day trips, and short overnight trips. Luckily Ireland is an easy place to overnight off grid and motorhomers are fortunate to have a mobile isolated ‘clean’ pod compared to those reliant on car and accommodation.

I see us having a phased increase in use of the van as the situation improves and movement is relaxed. But then I am happy to sit in the van each day practicing my French drinking tea and eating the last of the madeleines. Some might say I am easily pleased. A good attribute to possess at present I think.

Davy

Contrary to what is said on the media its wonderful and quiet everywhere and being next to Gatwick very quiet indeed. Had I been an active camper I may well have been not so pleased but its when a situation like this arises that one realises that there's something not quite right with society when it freewheels along with little control while vast profits are gained by some yet others almost starve.

Its a deep subject and I believe has to change.

I think this year and certainly the early part of 2021 looks bleak.

I do Airport transfers and all my work cancelled upto July.

We normally have at least 20 bookings by now for the following year. We have 2.

Some would say we’re lucky to have a MH and a place in Spain.

I can’t see us going to Spain this year and we haven’t used the MH in the Uk for many years.

I hope we can later in the year use it in the uk only using sites and not using the facilities available for the foreseeable future.

It’s a time to take care, we are isolating for at least 3 months.

Den

I have very itchy feet and just want to get on the road again, even if it’s just the Uk.

Whilst we are 70 with some additional risk factors I believe we can manage such risks sensibly. Life has always been an uncertain business and with limited years remaining for adventure travel we need to make the most of what we have. Soooo, as soon as campsites start to open we will be on the road.

Similarly for European travel, when they start letting in tourists we will be there.

Still haven’t given up on our booked trip to USA and Canada in early autumn to photograph bear.

Peter

stevec176 - 2020-05-02 2:09 PM

Goof luck with the bears. Drove from Calgàry to Vancouver and didnt see any bears.

We shall be on the move once allowed taking sensible precautions like using own facilities etc

As for the bears, we saw a lot from old and lonely bears to young families with cubs, we travelled Vancouver to Calgary, great trip

Just like many others we shall be off to the Continent as soon as allowed but when we feel it’s safe to do so. I just wonder what the situation will be regarding travel insurance for us pensioners. A lot more expensive I should think.

Cattwg :-D

Guest rael

We were supposed to be getting the ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa, mid July, that however, is looking increasingly unlikely. I'm going to hold on until the last minute then convert the ticket to an open ticket and go next year. Most of the Adriatic ferry companies have changed their T&Cs to allow an open ticket to be valid for 18 months rather than 12.

Once things start to open up a bit in UK we'll probably just stay in UK and visit places we've been meaning to go to for years.

willtravel - 2020-05-02 3:06 PM

stevec176 - 2020-05-02 2:09 PM

Goof luck with the bears. Drove from Calgàry to Vancouver and didnt see any bears.

We shall be on the move once allowed taking sensible precautions like using own facilities etc

As for the bears, we saw a lot from old and lonely bears to young families with cubs, we travelled Vancouver to Calgary, great trip

Hi

We have a lodge booked with guide to watch the bears catch salmon at the water falls. Ideal for photos.

We did visit Canada in 2001 and saw bears then but it all seems a long time ago. Need to do it again before we get too old. We were booked for last year but I had a cardiac arrest which put paid to that trip hence keen to do a trip this year.

Peter

spirou - 2020-05-02 6:49 PM

Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary... All opening up borders quite soon. There will obviously be some limitations at first but it seems we might be able to go around a bit in not too distant future.

Here's a link for Greece http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/home/about_covid_19

We are keen to visit Greece by moho again, our last trip was 2010ish.

Not sure Greece will be the issue, I think it may be the countries between that cause the problems.

Peter

Mickt - 2020-05-02 8:09 PM

They could open some campsite but keep toilets,showers ect shut.This way we can stay apart.

That’s my view too.

In any event we will use our own facilities to reduce risk.

Petrr

Spain are now allowing

Age 60 to 70 are allowed between 6am and 10am once only as a couple or 20.00 to 23.00 as a couple to exercise.

Over 70 12.00 to 14.00 once a day. ( funny time. Only mad dogs and Englishman go out at this time.

Children 14.00 to 19.00.

Not sure of under 60’s, because of our age this is the info the Spanish authorities gave me.

They have been so strict and only allowing 1 person to go shopping directly to and return.

Den

We too are feeling a bit tired of the lockdown restrictions as far as motorhoming is concerned. Our van sits idle in a field not far distant. The campsites in the UK that we visit retain a good distance between vans that respect the 2 meter “rule” we can see little reason why they should not re-open with the caveat that access to shared facilities is either prohibited or restricted so as to provide a reasonable level of protection against transmission of the virus. Let’s hope the government sees good reason to refine the current lockdown rules/advice with a view to achieving what is proportionate to the risk rather than rely on the rather swinging and inflexible rules that we are obliged to follow at the moment. There comes a point when to be alive but be deprived of the freedoms that make life worth living is the equivalent of having no life at all.

Cattwg - 2020-05-02 5:58 PM

Just like many others we shall be off to the Continent as soon as allowed but when we feel it’s safe to do so. I just wonder what the situation will be regarding travel insurance for us pensioners. A lot more expensive I should think.

Cattwg :-D

All policies will incorporate an exclusion for claims related to coronavirus, that's for sure. Our Nationwide policy has already done that by saying that any holiday booked after March 18th will have that additional exclusion in force.

Archived