Water in Ducato 2.8litre motor?

Derek Uzzell

Keithl - 2020-05-10 4:36 PM..................I doubt it very much!

A 'typical' injection quantity is circa 50 mm^3 per firing stroke (and a round number for simplicity of calculation).

So a 2.8 litre engine would have a single cylinder capacity of 0.7 litre or 700,000 mm^3. Divide this by 50 mm^3 and multiply by 2 for one injection per 2 revs and it would then take 28,000 engine revolutions to 'fill' one cylinder.

If the engine were 'fast idling' at say 1,400 rpm then this would take 20 minutes to fill the single cylinder with fuel/water.

Keith.

I agree Keith, but I don't think it is the swept volume that needs to be filled, but just the combustion chamber, which will be maybe 5% of the swept volume. All that had to have been accumulated would be just more than the combustion chamber volume of a single cylinder when on its compression stroke. So not that much water, though how that might accumulate in the intake tract is a puzzle.

Poorly fitted air filter housing lid? But even then, could it accumulate to that extent? Isn't there a drain on the filter housing? If that is a feasible explanation, it should be publicised, as there are a lot of vans of that vintage around, and even if a freak coincidence on Brent's van, it would be worthwhile for anyone with a similar engine to double check. Heavy rain isn't exactly unknown in the UK! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-10 6:00 PM

Poorly fitted air filter housing lid? But even then, could it accumulate to that extent? Isn't there a drain on the filter housing? If that is a feasible explanation, it should be publicised, as there are a lot of vans of that vintage around, and even if a freak coincidence on Brent's van, it would be worthwhile for anyone with a similar engine to double check. Heavy rain isn't exactly unknown in the UK! :-D

'we' know of one x250 that destroyed it's engine possibly due to a mouse problem that was mistakenly repaired by blocking the filter housing drain and then somehow ingesting water.

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-10 6:00 PM

...Poorly fitted air filter housing lid? But even then, could it accumulate to that extent? Isn't there a drain on the filter housing?...

The link I provided in my posting of 5 May 2020 8:44 AM above mentions a Ducato motor ‘hydrolocking’ and includes a photo of the air-filter housing with a lot of water collected in it. But - as I said in that posting - the motorhome was a 2007 X250 model with 3.0 litre powerplant.

In his posting of 4 May 2020 3:27 PM Brent said “...the engine did fire up but didn't run as there was a loud bang and it seized”.

Forensic examination of the damaged motor obviously won’t be possible now, but if Brent’s motor only fired once or twice before locking up, this should not be enough for it to suck water into the combustion chambers and the faulty head gasket diagnosis becomes much more persuasive.

Archived