Solar panel charging problem.

mikejkay

mikefitz - 2020-05-22 11:28 PM

it would be useful to access the point where the two panels are connected together, separate, and test the OC and SC output of each.

Just been uo on the roof again :-D I have a twin cable duct each taking a single 6.74mm dia. cable (must be twin) . The join must be inside the m.h. The cables are pretty inaccessible and run behind the fridge and under the floor :-(

I can just about access the junction boxes on the panels themselves but hey appear to be completely sealed.

mikejkay - 2020-05-23 4:40 PM

The join must be inside the m.h. The cables are pretty inaccessible and run behind the fridge and under the floor :-(

Whilst the VoC reading implies that the solar panels are fubar, in your situation I’d still prefer to be able to test each panel separately before proceeding.

You mention that the cables appear to be run behind the back of the fridge. I’m unfamiliar with your van, but if it has an absorption fridge is it possible that the fridge vents were used to gain access to the back of the fridge and put a junction box there to join the two solar panel cables before continuing with a single cable run to the solar regulator?

If so then you can disconnect the panels at the junction box and check their individual VoC. If it turns out that one is ok then at least that would provide you with a holding position until you can sort out replacement ridged panels. It would also confirm that your solar regulator is functioning correctly.

Well, having successfully researched the "how" via MMM forums (many thanks to all) I have removed the fridge vent covers. This revealed a mass of wires the size of my wrist all tightly cable tied together. In amongst this lot I found a single black cable the same size as those going into the roof gland and a single red wire and a single black wire, both the same size but very slightly smaller in diameter than the 4mm wire that I have used for a solar panel installation in the past. Regrettably, no sign of any joined wires.

I will have to await the outcome of warranty discussions before proceeding any further although I was tempted to cut the red wire and see what happened.

I did get a small current of 80mA, this in blazing hot sun without a cloud in the sky!

Looks as though the battery did sustain some damage, it appears to be losing charge a little bit faster than previously.

The good news is that the installation of the fridge appears excellent. Well sealed all round.

I’d avoid cutting any wires unless you have a good idea what the wire's purpose is.

I’d hoped that on checking the back of the fridge you’d see either two solar cables or one. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be that clear.

What is under the solar cable gland on the roof – ie is it a cupboard and can you therefore see both solar cables enter at that point and then somehow be routed down the back of the fridge?

It’s likely that the installers would have taken the easiest route possible for the cable run – they don’t generally try to make life difficult for themselves.

BruceM - 2020-05-25 5:55 PM

What is under the solar cable gland on the roof

The gland is directly above the fridge but set in from the side of the van by about 200mm. The wires will come through on the other side of the fridge bulkhead. I might take the gland off and see if I can see where the wires go. Might get lucky. :-D

Makes you realise how important it is to fit these things oneself. I knew exactly where the cables ran and where the fuses were on my last van because I had fitted the panels myself. Wish I hadn't been lso azy this time.

As a general observation I think what’s key is to insist that any van enhancements come with documentation. My solar installation has a wiring schematic with commentary that’s attached to the van’s manual. It’ll save a lot of the detective work when fault finding or carrying out maintenance.

I recall seeing mentioned on the forum before that vans should carry a habitation alterations log book. Good practice I think although I suspect for it to become generally used it would have to initially be supplied with each new van much like a car's service record.

BruceM - 2020-05-26 10:22 AM

what’s key is to insist that any van enhancements come with documentation.

Yes. In retrospect I should have insisted on a schematic,

I have had an encouraging response from the panel makers. Nothing from Travelworld.

• 3 weeks later...
mikefitz - 2020-05-22 11:28 PM

I think your panels are Solar Technology panels with a 5 year warranty,

https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/pv-logic/flexi-panels/

To further investigate, it would be useful to access the point where the two panels are connected together, separate, and test the OC and SC output of each.

Mike

I've been keeping my head down for the last few weeks as negotiations were ongoing :-D . The results were delivered this morning. Two 80w RIGID panels c/w aluminium brackets.

Several things of interest have arisen. All the talk of the pros and cons of mounting adhesive make me laugh. Mine were attached by Travelworld with a smear of what looks like Sikaflex. Five dabs, each about 40mm in diameter and less than 1mm thick. One in each corner and one in the middle. The gap underneath was filled with silt and water! Still, in all fairness, the panels had survived for four years and showed no signs of coming off.

I have researched these panels in other forums and have come across three or four posts about these particular flexible panels failing, usually at about four years. See the VW T6 Transporter Forum. From what I can gather Solar Technology International have honoured their warranty in each case that I have read about. So, kudos to STI.

So, good news and thanks again Mike for alerting me to the warranty situation. Now I have to install the new panels and discover whether or not damage has been done to the controller and/or the Electrobloc.

P.S. I managed to remove the panel above the fridge and found the wires coming from the panels...............and the fuses! Readily accessible! Thank you Travelworld. Having read up about overcharging batteries I will be putting in a pair of isolating switches. I am also contemplating putting in a Votronic MPPT controller.

Archived