3 way fridge won't stay on

Dursl

Please can anyone help me with an issue with a dometec 3 way power fridge that won't stay on. MH is parked on my drive with mains connected plus fully charged leisure batteries in place. When switched on the green light comes on but then after about 10-15 seconds, it looks for gas (clicking from ignition system) and then shorty after fails (red light). The internal light works so there is some power. Anyone had this problem and can help? Thanks

Dursl - 2020-05-21 1:55 PM

Please can anyone help me with an issue with a dometec 3 way power fridge that won't stay on. MH is parked on my drive with mains connected plus fully charged leisure batteries in place. When switched on the green light comes on but then after about 10-15 seconds, it looks for gas (clicking from ignition system) and then shorty after fails (red light). The internal light works so there is some power. Anyone had this problem and can help? Thanks

is mains voltage being received at the fridge? What model is it?

Dursl - 2020-05-21 2:04 PM

When I press the power switch. The lights come on both inside the fridge and on the control panel, so I would assume so. Model is RM 6505

Perhaps they are powered from the 12v and not mains?

Works on 12v with engine running or gas but not mains?

After switching engine off, it keeps running for15 mins (as it's meant to), then looks for gas and then fails even though connected to EHU from home mains power.

Dursl - 2020-05-21 2:40 PM

Works on 12v with engine running or gas but not mains?

After switching engine off, it keeps running for15 mins (as it's meant to), then looks for gas and then fails even though connected to EHU from home mains power.

My bet is that there is no mains getting to the fridge. What tests have you done to confirm it?

The interior lights work off the 12v supply.

i) is the 230v supply functional elsewhere (test one of the 230v sockets with something)?

ii) has the fridge tripped the 230v circuit breaker to which it is connected?

iii) I think there is a lowish rated 230v fuse (3A?) in the control electronics, which I think are behind the control panel in this fridge.

Well not sure what has happened but just removed control panel as you suggested. Looked for 3A fuse but couldn't find it, gave up and screwed panel back on. Plugged back in to mains, switched on and it works!

No at clue but thanks anyway.

Will get it checked when it next goes for service.

I have this model fridge - had from new in 2004!

Now I had a similar problem many years ago with the fridge sometimes not recognising the presence of the mains power - and kept trying to revert to gas.

I investigated and concluded it was the 240v relay in the control panel becoming intermittent. Like you may be experiencing, the relay would normally operate again if "knocked" or the panel was shuffled about. However my attempts to isolate further were frustrated by the thick conformal coating on both sides of the control panel. I purchased a replacement control panel and the problem solved. However the panel was expensive - £100 or so and 10 years ago.

You may be heading for the same solution.........

Archived