Greece bans UK tourists

Bulletguy

rael - 2020-05-31 9:45 PM

Nicepix - 2020-05-31 9:07 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-30 10:25 PM

rael - 2020-05-30 9:08 PM

Do you blame them? Our current death rate is 38,376, Greece is 175. Its shameful. We were supposed to be going there in the van this summer, for the firsts time in many years, not sure I could face it now even if they let us in. We have a lot to learn from our Greek friends.

Exactly. Not so long ago some were sneerily calling Greece a "basket case" country. How quickly thats changed but the Greeks aren't sneering....they're above that, they are just shocked and bewildered at our chaotic mis-management.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/greeks-marvel-at-britains-covid-chaos-as-their-lockdown-lifts-after-150-deaths

Greece is still a basket case country overall. It fell into what they, the Greeks, call 'The German Cage' when they joined the Euro. You are just picking out one aspect of the whole chaotic situation to evidence your point. Just as you did in your opening post.

The economy of Greece has been devastated. It currently holds tens of thousands of unprocessed refugees on behalf of the EU who are paying Greece to keep them. They are facing a mass invasion of hundreds of thousands if not millions of more refugees should Turkey open the doors of their camps as they have threatened to do. Greece is in a hole. There is no way out of the crisis. They cannot devalue their currency to make holidays cheaper. They have no industry other than olive production. And the country cannot borrow any money.

So, Greece has banned UK and other tourists from countries hard hit by COVID-19. Big news? Not unless you edit it the way that you have.

"They have no industry other than olive production"

Greece Exports

Mineral fuels including oil: US$11.9 billion (31.5% of total exports)

Pharmaceuticals: $2.2 billion (5.7%)

Machinery including computers: $2 billion (5.2%)

Aluminum: $1.9 billion (5.1%)

Plastics, plastic articles: $1.3 billion (3.5%)

Electrical machinery, equipment: $1.3 billion (3.4%)

Vegetable/fruit/nut preparations: $1.2 billion (3.2%)

Fruits, nuts: $1.1 billion (2.9%)

Dairy, eggs, honey: $785.6 million (2.1%)

Fish: $763.1 million (2%)

It may be a 'basket case' but it has humanity. Covid-19 deaths 170, UK 38,000 and rising. its not all about the money.

If its about "humanity" or the lack of maybe its better to direct your anger towards China rather than the usual suspects

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 7:48 AM

Do you blame them? Our current death rate is 38,376, Greece is 175. Its shameful. We were supposed to be going there in the van this summer, for the firsts time in many years, not sure I could face it now even if they let us in. We have a lot to learn from our Greek friends.

Exactly. Not so long ago some were sneerily calling Greece a "basket case" country. How quickly thats changed but the Greeks aren't sneering....they're above that, they are just shocked and bewildered at our chaotic mis-management.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/greeks-marvel-at-britains-covid-chaos-as-their-lockdown-lifts-after-150-deaths

Greece is still a basket case country overall. It fell into what they, the Greeks, call 'The German Cage' when they joined the Euro. You are just picking out one aspect of the whole chaotic situation to evidence your point. Just as you did in your opening post.

The economy of Greece has been devastated. It currently holds tens of thousands of unprocessed refugees on behalf of the EU who are paying Greece to keep them. They are facing a mass invasion of hundreds of thousands if not millions of more refugees should Turkey open the doors of their camps as they have threatened to do. Greece is in a hole. There is no way out of the crisis. They cannot devalue their currency to make holidays cheaper. They have no industry other than olive production. And the country cannot borrow any money.

So, Greece has banned UK and other tourists from countries hard hit by COVID-19. Big news? Not unless you edit it the way that you have.

Greece Exports

It may be a 'basket case' but it has humanity. Covid-19 deaths 170, UK 38,000 and rising. its not all about the money.

If its about "humanity" or the lack of maybe its better to direct your anger towards China rather than the usual suspects

Because the thread is about Greece, not China? If you want to start a thread about you're hate and anger with China, then thats up to you. I'm not directing any anger towards anyone or any country. All I've tried to do is defend Greece against casual phrases like 'basket case' country and highlight the fact that a 'basket case' country has managed to pretty much contain covid-19 to 170 deaths compared to our (as of today) 38,400. The threads about Greece 'banning' UK tourists. (although that seem fluid at the moment) It should really not be about slagging the Greeks of for having a poor economy etc. etc. Comments like 'Greece is a hole' are just a little bit sweeping. Not by you, I hasten to add.

rael - 2020-06-01 10:41 AM

Greece Exports

Because the thread is about Greece, not China? If you want to start a thread about you're hate and anger with China, then thats up to you. I'm not directing any anger towards anyone or any country. All I've tried to do is defend Greece against casual phrases like 'basket case' country and highlight the fact that a 'basket case' country has managed to pretty much contain covid-19 to 170 deaths compared to our (as of today) 38,400. The threads about Greece 'banning' UK tourists. (although that seem fluid at the moment) It should really not be about slagging the Greeks of for having a poor economy etc. etc. Comments like 'Greece is a hole' are just a little bit sweeping. Not by you, I hasten to add.

The thread was never about Greece , its about the OP hate of the Tories and Boris ... You mentioned "humanity" and I stand by if China had shown any at the very beginning we wouldnt be talking about Greek and UK death numbers

Guest pelmetman

Greece Exports

Or alternatively the reason Greece got off so lightly, is that no one goes to Greece in the winter, except migrants ;-) ..........

Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 12:36 PM

The thread was never about Greece , its about the OP hate of the Tories and Boris ... You mentioned "humanity" and I stand by if China had shown any at the very beginning we wouldnt be talking about Greek and UK death numbers

You had been warned so far in advance that if you took some measures in time you would probably have the same number of infections and deaths of other countries.

You know this very well even if you pretend not.

Instead, you are still continuing to increase by nearly two thousand new infected per day.

So stop making ridiculous comparisons.

pelmetman - 2020-06-01 12:36 PM

Or alternatively the reason Greece got off so lightly, is that no one goes to Greece in the winter, except migrants ;-) ..........

You think you have a great knowledge of tourism and countries.

Poofff.

Tourists aren't just British, and planes don't just take off from London.

I have been to Greece in the winter a few times.

I guarantee you that the flights were fully booked.

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 1:36 PM

Greece Exports

Silly me, and there I was thinking this is a discussion forum. I posted in good faith only to step into a slanging match.

This is Chatterbox and it is effectively un-moderated, so discussions often degenerate into slanging matches involving the same group of regulars. You need to accept that and become selective about what you bother reading and posting on.

Nicepix - 2020-06-01 6:31 AM

rael - 2020-05-31 10:45 PM

Greece Exports

Greece banning UK tourists was never the headline.

THIS was the headline on the linked article; "Greece bans Brits when it reopens to tourists due to poor coronavirus record" from which i pasted the first and third para from the article.

Greece Exports

The thread was never about Greece , its about the OP hate of the Tories and Boris ...

Show where this 'hate' is in both the article and my posts on the thread.

rael - 2020-06-01 1:44 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 1:36 PM

Greece Exports

Silly me, and there I was thinking this is a discussion forum. I posted in good faith only to step into a slanging match.

Your going all Hollywood , which is fairly common on here ... What have I posted to prompt such a response its a "slanging match" ??? ... Please just read through what I posted again , I aren't after a slanging match with you , you have misread that

pelmetman - 2020-06-01 12:36 PM

Greece Exports

Pelmet this is yet more of your extreme racist xenophobia...in fact why you ever set foot in Spain with all those awful foreigner folk is beyond me.

From wiki;

Greece has been a major tourist destination and attraction in Europe since the 1970s for its rich culture and history, which is reflected in large part by its 18 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, among the most in Europe and the world as well as for its long coastline, many islands, and beaches.

The Egremnoi sand beach in the Greek island of Lefkada, noted for its blue crystal waters, is a popular tourist destination. Greece attracted as much as 33 million visitors in 2018, up from 24 million in 2015, making Greece one of the most visited countries in Europe and the world, and contributing around 25% to the nation's Gross Domestic Product. Its capital city Athens, as well as Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Corfu, Crete and Chalkidice are some of the country's major tourist destinations.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 5:46 PM

Greece Exports

The thread was never about Greece , its about the OP hate of the Tories and Boris ...

Princess I dont have to , you thinly disguise it by wrapping it in something else at times ... But its there like all your other posts you dont bother disguising ... Just a quick look back at the threads youve started prove my point ... Hate on

Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 6:00 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 5:46 PM

Greece Exports

Princess I dont have to , you thinly disguise it by wrapping it in something else at times ... But its there like all your other posts you dont bother disguising ... Just a quick look back at the threads youve started prove my point ... Hate on

No Antony you do have to show it. You claimed, "the thread was never about Greece , its about the OP hate of the Tories and Boris" and i asked you to show where in the article and my posts on the thread this 'hate' you allege is. Truth is you cannot can you as there is none, only in your warped unhinged mind.

And don't address me as "princess" either. As you claim it's "a term of affection", use it when replying back to your friends......which you never do.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 6:41 PM

Greece Exports

THIS was the headline on the linked article; "Greece bans Brits when it reopens to tourists due to poor coronavirus record" from which i pasted the first and third para from the article.

It isn't a headline. It is clickbait for simple minded people. That is why you found yourself being ridiculed, not only for believing it as a major story but in thinking that others wouldn't see through it.

The headline for those who can think for themselves is that Greece and the other EU countries who have taken it upon themselves to decide which EU citizens can and cannot travel to their country for whatever reason are breaching the fundamental EU rules on Freedom of Movement. Those same rules that Junckers told Cameron could not be negotiated and were set in stone. That is the real story.

Nicepix - 2020-06-01 8:47 PM

Greece Exports

It isn't a headline. It is clickbait for simple minded people. That is why you found yourself being ridiculed, not only for believing it as a major story but in thinking that others wouldn't see through it.

It was a media report, the same as the second one i linked to.....are you suggesting that's also 'clickbait' though i doubt for a minute you read it? There was nothing to ridicule about though you certainly did yourself no favour claiming Greece has "no industry other than olive production" when a simple search would have shown how wrong you were on that.

The headline for those who can think for themselves is that Greece and the other EU countries who have taken it upon themselves to decide which EU citizens can and cannot travel to their country for whatever reason are breaching the fundamental EU rules on Freedom of Movement. Those same rules that Junckers told Cameron could not be negotiated and were set in stone. That is the real story.

The "whatever reason" you're struggling to mention is Covid control.The approach Greece is taking seems perfectly sensible to me and with such a low fatality rate of just 170 against our horrendous figure of over 39,000 rising daily, it shows their government is committed to caring for it's citizens.

The EU have already set out guidelines for it's member states on FoM during Covid and few will expect 'normal service' to resume as yet.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 11:17 PM

Greece Exports

It was a media report, the same as the second one i linked to.....are you suggesting that's also 'clickbait' though i doubt for a minute you read it? There was nothing to ridicule about though you certainly did yourself no favour claiming Greece has "no industry other than olive production" when a simple search would have shown how wrong you were on that.

The "whatever reason" you're struggling to mention is Covid control.The approach Greece is taking seems perfectly sensible to me and with such a low fatality rate of just 170 against our horrendous figure of over 39,000 rising daily, it shows their government is committed to caring for it's citizens.

The EU have already set out guidelines for it's member states on FoM during Covid and few will expect 'normal service' to resume as yet.

What you call "COVID Control" might make perfect sense. But it flouts the EU regulations on Freedom of Movement therefore it is an illegal act. Again you miss the bigger picture in that the Liberalist 'Freedoms' so much vaunted by the EU don't actually stand up to real life situations.

Cameron made a case that the UK was in a unique position in that the Benefits system and free health care made it a destination of choice for refugees and economic migrants and therefore asked for special case exemptions. This was denied out of hand because it breached the very regulations that Greece and others are now openly flouting.

The EU was weeks behind the curve. Member states initiated their own plans with no reference to EU law. Now the EU is playing catch up to save face.

Nicepix - 2020-06-02 6:34 AM

Greece Exports

What you call "COVID Control" might make perfect sense. But it flouts the EU regulations on Freedom of Movement therefore it is an illegal act. Again you miss the bigger picture in that the Liberalist 'Freedoms' so much vaunted by the EU don't actually stand up to real life situations.

Under 'normal' conditions you'd be right but as we know life for everyone ceased to be 'normal' the minute WHO declared Covid as a pandemic. It's the only reason travel restrictions between countries were brought in and the EU/EC acted appropriately imo.

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/czech/insights/publications/2020/04/impact-of-covid-19-on-free-movement-in-the-eu/

https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2020/03/flash-alert-2020-132.html

https://fra.europa.eu/en/themes/covid-19

Bulletguy - 2020-06-02 5:55 PM

Greece Exports

Under 'normal' conditions you'd be right but as we know life for everyone ceased to be 'normal' the minute WHO declared Covid as a pandemic. It's the only reason travel restrictions between countries were brought in and the EU/EC acted appropriately imo.

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/czech/insights/publications/2020/04/impact-of-covid-19-on-free-movement-in-the-eu/

That doesn't explain how and why countries acted unilaterally. The EU law that Barmier insists the UK follows does not allow for countries to make up their own rules as they go along. It should, according to EU law, have been agreed first with the EU.

What this shows is that the EU were totally emasculated during the COVID crisis and that they are still being ignored by member states actin gin their own interests. The one size fits all EU rules don't actually fit anybody terribly well.

Just for the record; From the Horse's Mouth:

“Member States were acting alone and it is now high time the EU steps in before it is too late and irreparable damage to Schengen has been done,” said MEP Tanja Fajon, The chair of the civil liberties committee's working group on Schengen scrutiny. “The Commission should take on a key role in restoring freedom of movement and firstly for crucial categories such as cross-border workers. European coordination is therefore essential.”

"MEPs are pressing for the restoration of borderless free movement for people, goods and services in the Schengen area. They want stronger EU cooperation to guarantee that there is no discrimination against any EU citizen.

In a debate on the state of Schengen by the civil liberties committee on 12 May, Tanja Fajon (S&D, Slovenia) recalled the closures introduced in the midst of the migration crisis in 2015. Some countries maintained those controls for years, which Parliament criticised as unjustified."

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/security/20200506STO78514/reopening-schengen-borders-after-covid-19-what-can-eu-do

Seems to be not a lot of central governing going on.

Nicepix - 2020-06-02 5:07 PM

Greece Exports

That doesn't explain how and why countries acted unilaterally. The EU law that Barmier insists the UK follows does not allow for countries to make up their own rules as they go along. It should, according to EU law, have been agreed first with the EU.

What this shows is that the EU were totally emasculated during the COVID crisis and that they are still being ignored by member states actin gin their own interests. The one size fits all EU rules don't actually fit anybody terribly well.

Well if you believe they've acted unlawfully take the matter up with the EC and EP. If you dislike the EU so much, why are you living in an EU country?

Bulletguy - 2020-06-02 6:57 PM

Greece Exports

Well if you believe they've acted unlawfully take the matter up with the EC and EP. If you dislike the EU so much, why are you living in an EU country?

Same could be said for you , why are you 'living' in Britain if you dislike it so much ... Ive used the word living fairly loosely

Bulletguy - 2020-06-02 7:57 PM

Greece Exports

Because I like France and indeed Europe. The problem with people like you is that you cannot understand the difference between Europe and "The EU". I can.

Nicepix - 2020-06-02 8:26 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-02 7:57 PM

Greece Exports

1)Because I like France and indeed Europe. 2)The problem with people like you is that you cannot understand the difference between Europe and "The EU". I can.

1)Yes i notice you drive a German built and powered mh. Our resident Germanophobe Brexiteer will not like that! You should buy British. 2)Given the shredding your posts on your interpretation of the EU got a couple of months back i'm left in doubt about that.

Archived