Oil Filler cap

icelander

Call me daft - I do not mind but my Fiat JTD 2.0 2005 seems to have two engine oil filler caps. One over the the rocker? cover with an oil can and a manual / book picture. The other is at the front near radiator on a stand and just has a oil can sign. Question is - can I use the front one near radiator to fill her up again after a oil change as it looks so much easier. Thanks for advice

My 05 Boxer has the 2 oil filler points, one on the rocker cover and one mounted on the front by the radiator. I was informed by the dealer that it can be used because it is much more convenient to reach. I have used this from new and on checking the dipstick as indeed topped up the sump. the filler for the power steering is at the back right of the engine bay, and realy never needs filling up.

I think the reason for the 2 filling points may be that the engine can be used in other Peugeot models, but in the Boxer oil filling right at the back of the compartment would lead to getting it everywhere, hence a thoughtful front filler. chas

Hi Brambles- My engine is the Peugeot 05 Boxer 2ltr HDI the same as Armstrongpipers. If the Fiat 2ltr JTD differs from this then Icelander would certainly need to check with a main agent. However if he as a oil filler cap on the front next to the radiator with a more or less international picture of an oil can , and its not for engine oil.. then Fiat IMO are in for plenty of claims for damaged power steering pumps. Regards chas

Had a look at the parts list, some engines have the extra fill point added and some do not. The power steering bottle is larger and has a black top. Easy to tell the oil filler one, it has a hose running down to a block on side of Engine crankcase. And yes you are right, it has a oil can symbol on it, I shall shut up now and stop sticking my nose in. Needless to say will be asking Fiat dealer to give me a price for parts to add to mine as so much more convenient. Looks like it will be under £20 on price list I have for all the bits needed. I have a rubber bung/cap over the hole the filler tube goes into.

Jon.

Motor factors, Halfords etc sell a Funnel with a cranked nozzle which is particularly useful for topping up or re-filling the oil on the Boxer/ducato and other vehicles where the oil filler cap is difficult to get to.

Anyone who has spilt a large volume of oil over the engine and had to clear up the resultant mess, (like me once) will find the small cost of the funnel attractive.

On some vehicles a cut down plastic drinks bottle can be used. Cut off the base of the bottle either straight or at an angle to suit, easy and free.

Hope this assists,

Regards,

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived