Campsites and Aires in France

Ginger Jim

Ginger Jim - 2020-06-07 4:11 PM

Thanks one and all. Just what I wanted to hear, heading off soon

……. perhaps followed by 14 days quarantine when you return? This assumes you live in England and the Government follow their plans.

Going off the thread slightly, on the news at lunchtime ( French ) they showed a motorhome dealer who had 130 vans in stock new / second hand, in the last 2 weeks he has sold 52 vans! How busy are campsites going to be this year over here?

brugge - 2020-06-08 4:14 PM

Going off the thread slightly, on the news at lunchtime ( French ) they showed a motorhome dealer who had 130 vans in stock new / second hand, in the last 2 weeks he has sold 52 vans! How busy are campsites going to be this year over here?

Less than usual I suspect. 52 vans over three months during the peak selling period is nothing special. I guess it’s a bit like humans being born and dying. As some join some drop off the end.

Ginger Jim - 2020-06-07 4:11 PM

Thanks one and all. Just what I wanted to hear, heading off soon

An announcement is expected in Macrons speech on Sunday confirming the French Prime Ministers press statement that internal EU boarders will open on Monday 15th June. The only restrictions in place will be 14 day quarantine entering Spain and the UK. A voluntary quarantine for those entering France from Spain & UK

BruceM - 2020-06-08 4:41 PM

brugge - 2020-06-08 4:14 PM

Less than usual I suspect. 52 vans over three months during the peak selling period is nothing special. I guess it’s a bit like humans being born and dying. As some join some drop off the end.

There’s a ‘sort of’ similar comment on the BF Enthusiasts forum on this link

https://bfenthusiasts.com/bfe/topic/13289-2021-timetables-and-prices/page/2/

The posting (10 June date) reads

I have a feeling that for the next few years holiday ferry and Euro Tunnel travel will prove very popular.

We part ex'd our motorhome yesterday at a dealership in Newark, in the week they've been open they've sold 70 motorhomes and have a total of 190 going out to customers in June, they've never known anything like it and are saying to the coachbuilders of the brands they sell that they'll take as much stock as they have or are currently building for 2020.

We have to wait until the 30th for the handover.

Business' selling tents, trailer tents and caravans which have already opened are also seeing a surge in sales.

I spoke to a few couples and young adults with children yesterday who said that flying is most definitely off the menu. When allowed, the French sites are in for a shock!

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-12 9:00 AM

I have a feeling that for the next few years holiday ferry and Euro Tunnel travel will prove very popular.

I think the tunnel should get really busy as no interaction with other people. But I'm not sure about Ferries all those people crammed into a air conditioned box a receipt for disaster remember those cruise ships a few months ago. The lifts from an to the car decks probably the worst

The NHS defines ‘self isolation’ as follows

What is self-isolation?

Self-isolation is when you stay at home because you have or might have coronavirus (COVID-19).

This helps stop the virus spreading to other people.

If you are in a motorhome in France and develop symptoms that suggest you have a COVID-19 infection, you are going to be in some difficulty.

Hey guys, I live in Normandy France and have just had to go to the UK to see my mother who was very ill. Coming back to France, they gave me a leaflet about voluntary two week isolation, but it is not mandatory and where i am it is a totally green zone (most of France now). I have seen hundreds of motor homes driving up and down, and i believe that the aires are now open.

We are planning a Brittany road trip very soon, so can't wait.

xx

Ok for those of you seriously thinking of coming over here to France; i have some positive information (I think)

I had COVID in March this year in France. I stupidly went for a heart appt to the big Caen hospital for a routine check, just as it started to spread.

If i hadn't gone, I would have been fine, as there have been very few cases where i am. I had it bad, to the point where i should have been hospitalized, but was too scared to go. I had every symptom going and was very ill. Just after that, i thought i was having a heart attack, and went into the local small hospital. They confirmed Covid and that i had pneumonia! I was taken to the main big hospital in Avaranches, which was all set up for Covid patients and i was the only one there! They were brilliant. I still have pain in my lungs three months later and could have permanent damage, but things do seem to be slowly improving. I have now had tests to prove i had it and another to show that i am not contagious anymore and do have some antibodies (They have no idea how long for).

Being treated here in France in an emergency is not a problem, they will not turn you away, but insurance is not easy at the moment. I have heard that some people still show their EHIC card and the bill gets paid in the UK, but not sure how much longer they will do this. I can only say, that the symptoms might give you some warning, if you do get it. Perhaps long enough for you to get home. The early signs are high temp and heavy weight feeling on your chest. I didn't actually feel ill until a week into the infection. it is much more likely to contract Covid from the UK now, than France and if you limit trips into supermarkets, wearing a mask, you should be fine, most of them are usually quiet around lunchtime and since covid, they have been very quiet.

Most of the external borders are now open and i am sure it won't be long until the UK drops the two week quarantine ruling. Just stay safe: masks, gel, wash - you should be fine. I wipe everything whenever i go out: car handles, bags, hands, etc and is now routine.

Hoping to vroom off to Brittany beaches in two weeks time xx

Archived