Tyre replacement-- age related.

MasterW

BruceM - 2020-06-29 2:44 PM

No one can tell you, you’ll have to decide for yourself. It depends on your motivation. If it’s to be road legal then unless you fail the MOT inspection then you’re ok. If you wish to remain reasonably safe then changing at 10 years meets my understanding of tyre manufacturers recommendations. If you want to be super safe then change every 5 years, this will please Kwik-Fit etc. It’s absolutely your call.

My tyres started to fail 8 days after passing the MOT.

Sat out the other day in the heatwave under shade( Remember that brief interlude with summer) when there was a terrific bang. Took a few minutes to realise it was the spare tyre on my garden trailer had blown out..Its parked on drive next to house 5 yards away. There is a hole big enough almost to get my fist in on the tread.. No sign of wear and tear, good tread pattern and only checked pressurest with the other s a couple of weeks ago.However it was in full sun. The tread was steel braced as well. When I thought about the possible age I bought the trailer 25 years ago and its on the original tyres, I tend to use it only occasionally but it had been used on a few tip runs just lately. So looking at getting a full tyre change anytime soon. Just counting blessing it happened on drive and no one near when it when it burst.

Sorry but I have to ask one thing, have you had a tyre blow on the van. The front is a nightmare and the rear can be scary.

Tyres can literally smash through most of the floor on a C class van. After years paying attention to the tyres but still getting blow outs even from new tyres that are faulty, its a must, they don't just go flat, they can completely delaminate. Yes it is expensive, but the risks are huge to life and the van, trust me just change them, after all its better to sleep at night for the sake of saving a year or two ie the price of just one tyre...

• 8 months later...
steve hill - 2020-06-29 9:12 PM

Sorry but I have to ask one thing, have you had a tyre blow on the van.

No, but I have lost count of the number of blow outs I have had on lorries.

None of which resulted in any injury or significant damage.

We tend to only hear of tyre blow outs when they cause an accident because the vehicle was being driven to its limits (on a racetrack) with no safety margin.

Couple of incidents that spring to mind are a brand new trailer I picked up, and 5 of the brand new tyres blew out in the first 1,000 miles - part of a bad batch.

Another was the front wheel of a fully laden artic whilst travelling at 60mph in the centre lane of a busy M1.

Everybody got out of my way and I just gently steered it into the hard shoulder, no bother at all.

John52 - 2021-03-22 8:44 AM

We tend to only hear of tyre blow outs when they cause an accident because the vehicle was being driven to its limits (on a racetrack) with no safety margin.

Couple of incidents that spring to mind are a brand new trailer I picked up, and 5 of the brand new tyres blew out in the first 1,000 miles - part of a bad batch.

Another was the front wheel of a fully laden artic whilst travelling at 60mph in the centre lane of a busy M1.

Everybody got out of my way and I just gently steered it into the hard shoulder, no bother at all.

They may not have resulted in any injury or damage to you, but can you be certain that every such incident hasn't resulted in damage or injury to other road users, from sometimes very large and heavy fragments of tyre left in the carriageway?

You tend not to hear about tyre blow outs on the road because they aren't particularly newsworthy. In the same way that more than 90% of fatal road traffic collisions aren't considered particularly newsworthy nowadays, save perhaps for a short piece in a local rag at the time. But very few will be subsequently reported several months down the line when any contributory factors have since been established.

In my time on motorway duties, retrieving sections of blown or shredded tyres, lorry mudguards and other debris detached from vehicles due to tyre blow-outs was a daily occurrence, sometimes more than once per shift. I was once travelling in lane 2 of the M25 behind a Citroen that was overtaking an articulated HGV in lane 1, when one of its offside trailer tyres blew whilst the Citroen was directly alongside. The force of a section of the tyre hitting the side of the Citroen, and possibly its affect on the unsuspecting driver, was sufficient to veer it directly into the central barrier.

Then there were the collisions involving vehicles hitting the tyre or other debris laying on the road, or those where vehicles braking to avoid the debris were hit from behind.

Deneb - 2021-03-24 9:51 AM

Then there were the collisions involving vehicles hitting the tyre or other debris laying on the road, or those where vehicles braking to avoid the debris were hit from behind.

The most dangerous motorway incident that I've encountered involved a tyre blowout on a Dutch caravan on one of the downhill sections of the A75 autoroute south of Clermont Ferrand (ah... those were the days).

The tyre explosion pretty much destroyed the right rear corner of the caravan and spread bodywork, insulation, wheelarch and various fittings across all 3 carriageways. We just managed to avoid the complete toilet unit that was bouncing down the road and swerved to a halt on the hard shoulder (ah... remember those ;-) ).

Deneb - 2021-03-24 9:51 AM

John52 - 2021-03-22 8:44 AM

They may not have resulted in any injury or damage to you, but can you be certain that every such incident hasn't resulted in damage or injury to other road users, from sometimes very large and heavy fragments of tyre left in the carriageway?

You tend not to hear about tyre blow outs on the road because they aren't particularly newsworthy. In the same way that more than 90% of fatal road traffic collisions aren't considered particularly newsworthy nowadays, save perhaps for a short piece in a local rag at the time. But very few will be subsequently reported several months down the line when any contributory factors have since been established.

In my time on motorway duties, retrieving sections of blown or shredded tyres, lorry mudguards and other debris detached from vehicles due to tyre blow-outs was a daily occurrence, sometimes more than once per shift. I was once travelling in lane 2 of the M25 behind a Citroen that was overtaking an articulated HGV in lane 1, when one of its offside trailer tyres blew whilst the Citroen was directly alongside. The force of a section of the tyre hitting the side of the Citroen, and possibly its affect on the unsuspecting driver, was sufficient to veer it directly into the central barrier.

Fair point, although I went back to pick them up.

It was also back in the days when we had proper motorways with a hard shoulder.

These so called 'smart motorways' frighten me to death.

Archived