Calor Gas 11kg fitting

slowdriver

Robinhood - 2020-06-29 5:15 PM

rael - 2020-06-29 12:39 PM

Have now found the link to UK Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/y9q987v6

...though that set won't convert to a UK propane bottle, which needs a POL adapter.......

I didn't know that. I'd assumed that number 4 would?

rael - 2020-06-29 7:06 PM

Robinhood - 2020-06-29 5:15 PM

rael - 2020-06-29 12:39 PM

Have now found the link to UK Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/y9q987v6

...though that set won't convert to a UK propane bottle, which needs a POL adapter.......

I didn't know that. I'd assumed that number 4 would?

Number 4 would probably fit a UK butane bottle but propane needs a POL adapter.

I couldn't resist using this particular picture of a POL connection (they sometimes, but by no means always, have a rubber tip to aid sealing)

POL-T.JPG

Robinhood - 2020-06-29 9:29 PM

I couldn't resist using this particular picture of a POL connection (they sometimes, but by no means always, have a rubber tip to aid sealing)

POL-T.JPG

(lol)

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-28 1:06 PM

Be careful, as 11kg cylinders and not universally available outside the UK. So far as I am aware they are not available in France, where the 13kg cylinders are ubiquitous. .

Intermarche super market chain have been selling their own brand propane 11kg propane or butane for at least 10 yrs and still just €1 bottle deposit and in Nov 2019 a full bottle was €22. At a lot of stations its now available 24 - 7 as there are self service cages if you have a bottle to return. All I've ever used in last 10 yrs except do have a Repsol Spanish 13 kg bottle refill was €12 in Nov

122.jpg.54d19f946d6fe53c9f714004ad639089.jpg

Intermarche gas-canisters are nowadays “Energaz” bottles with a capacity of 9kg (propane) or 10kg (butane). They are less tall than the standard 13kg French metal containers, but the same diameter.

https://selectra.info/propane/fournisseurs/energaz/bouteilles/propane-9kg

Leclerc offers an 11kg “Clairgaz” bottle

https://selectra.info/propane/fournisseurs/clairgaz/bouteilles/propane-11kg

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-03 9:35 AM

Intermarche gas-canisters are nowadays “Energaz” bottles with a capacity of 9kg (propane) or 10kg (butane).

The energaz bottles sold there are a different colour than the ones I refer to which are seen in the cage in the picture in my last post an in pictures below

1483388913_gas2.jpg.1fa7f066960eceba064c00ba06827fe4.jpg

gas1.jpg.735725700882b4b8d38d3e32c60d4c87.jpg

A summary (dated 13 May 2020) of the gas-bottles currently available from French supermarkets can be found here

https://www.picbleu.fr/page/bouteille-de-gaz-grandes-surfaces-supermarches-grande-distribution

For ‘own brand’ bottles,, the Intermarché-related information I provided in my last posting is repeated.

Pictures of the Intermarché-marketed “Energaz” canisters are provided within the link, with the colour described as “beige” for both the 9kg (propane) and 10kg (butane) containers. (Screen-shot from link and another Intermarché photo attached below)

intermarche.png.1a4cee5b06f0c4dea969b9baf20bae83.png

intermarche.jpg.8b094b253db9f7362b00c00964848444.jpg

OK, that’s a 2018 Energaz advert...

As you said in your first posting about ‘own brand’ gas bottles marketed by Intermarché, these have been obtainable for at least 10 years.

As far as I’m aware, during that period the Intermarché bottles have had a capacity of 9kg (propane) or 10kg (butane) with a diameter of 305 mm, a height of 495mm and a tare weight of 9.36kg. Although the bottles may not currently carry the Energaz brand-name, Energaz and Intermarché advertising makes it plain that Energaz (now and in the past) supplies Intermarché ‘own brand’ bottles. This is also clearly stated here:

https://selectra.info/propane/fournisseurs/energaz

(That there may be colour variations in photos is hardly unusual.)

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-04 7:43 AM

As you said in your first posting about ‘own brand’ gas bottles marketed by Intermarché, these have been obtainable for at least 10 years.

Although the bottles may not currently carry the Energaz brand-name, Energaz and Intermarché advertising makes it plain that Energaz (now and in the past) supplies Intermarché ‘own brand’ bottles.

When I bought the first 2 bottles at the Morlaix Intermarche they never had a Energaz Brand name I've been exchanging them regularly several times a year since and never had any with that marking although I have seen the same bottles some a light green colour else where marked such but Not at Intermarche. So anyone wanting to purchase Intermarche own brand gas should not be looking for Energaz bottles they are as in my photos and Yours in the rack a Plain bottle occasionally they may have a small intermarche logo.

By continuing to post energaz you are only making it confusing for anyone wanting to get a Intermarche bottle at one of their outlets they'll be looking for some thing that won't be there Going by the label Franz gas could be the supplier for both brands

Derek, Witzend and others have comprehensively answered my question. Thank you. I am confident that I will be able to get a gas cylinder from a French supermarket, in a size that will fit my cabinet, with the most appropriate gas in it. Even better its cheaper than the UK. I have plenty of photographs to help navigate the forecourt, of an Intermarche at least. :-)

Witzend

It's "Frangaz" (not Franz gas) and the connection of Frangaz to Energaz is explained in the link I provided in my last posting.

I've been aware for (possibly) 20 years that smaller-than-13kg 'own brand' metal gas bottles were available from French supermarkets, but as I moved to user-refillable bottles around 2002, exactly which French supermarkets sold which own-brand canisters has never greatly concerned me.

For the same reason I had not realised that 'self service' gas bottle equipments were now in place at some French supermarkets. Thanks for mentioning that as it's definitely worth knowIng.

slowdriver - 2020-07-04 10:43 AM

Witzend and others have comprehensively answered my question. Thank you. I am confident that I will be able to get a gas cylinder from a French supermarket, Even better its cheaper than the UK.-)

Glad your sorted when we first went to France being aware that UK bottles where not interchangeable there we had read of Intermarche €1 deposit offer we went with none and bought 2 on arrival. I'm sure it would be as easy for You.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-04 10:48 AM

Witzend It's "Frangaz" (not Franz gas) .

Just 1 spelling mistake for you to correct I'm getting better

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-04 10:48 AM

For the same reason I had not realised that 'self service' gas bottle equipments were now in place at some French supermarkets. Thanks for mentioning that as it's definitely worth knowIng.

And something You didn't Know what next

witzend - 2020-07-04 5:03 PM

slowdriver - 2020-07-04 10:43 AM

Witzend and others have comprehensively answered my question. Thank you. I am confident that I will be able to get a gas cylinder from a French supermarket, Even better its cheaper than the UK.-)

Glad your sorted when we first went to France being aware that UK bottles where not interchangeable there we had read of Intermarche €1 deposit offer we went with none and bought 2 on arrival. I'm sure it would be as easy for You.

In the interests of accuracy what I actually said was

"Derek, Witzend and others have comprehensively answered my question. Thank you" I think its important to recognise everyone contributions even when you (or I) sometimes disagree with their position or think they might be mistaken. Generally writing people out of history doesn't end well for the subject or the censor. (Stalin editing Trotsky and Kamenev out of a photo of Lenin addressing Soviet troops in 1920 comes to mind. Not the analogy that might popup for most people I'll give you).

Motorhome Matters is an incredibly useful source of information on all sorts of subjects precisely because of the depth of knowledge that many contributors have and because their opinions differ. If everyone agreed it would be suspicious and probably close to useless. It's important to recognise all comments that are relevant, and hopefully civil, and diverse.

slowdriver - 2020-07-04 5:49 PM

In the interests of accuracy what I actually said was

"Derek, Witzend and others have comprehensively answered my question. Thank you" I think its important to recognise everyone contributions even when you (or I) sometimes disagree with their position or think they might be mistaken. Generally writing people out of history doesn't end well for the subject or the censor. (Stalin editing Trotsky and Kamenev out of a photo of Lenin addressing Soviet troops in 1920 comes to mind. Not the analogy that might popup for most people I'll give you).

Motorhome Matters is an incredibly useful source of information on all sorts of subjects precisely because of the depth of knowledge that many contributors have and because their opinions differ. If everyone agreed it would be suspicious and probably close to useless. It's important to recognise all comments that are relevant, and hopefully civil, and diverse.

All that to say

In the interests of accuracy what I actually said was "Derek, Witzend and others have comprehensively answered my question. Sure you 2 are not related

I think there is a valid point that is being lost in the undergrowth. Not all gas cylinders are of the same physical size, even if of the same nominal capacity. If the gas locker is roomy, swapping one make for another won't cause problems, but some gas lockers are far from roomy, so if one finds a combination of cylinders that will fit, it may be wisest to at least check the physical size of any others on offer - unless installing the new cylinder at the point of purchase when it will b immediately obvious if it won't fit. Otherwise, I think stick to what you know works has much to commend it.

Otherwise, one won't know whether the new cylinder will fit until a number of miles later, at which point a difficult decision arises. Retrace ones track to the original seller and ask to swap it for a different one, or proceed to another branch of the same chain and try to swap there. My only offer on either, is good luck with that - especially if you've removed the outlet seal before finding out! :-D

Archived