Small van fixed double bed

Jasper

I'm looking to upgrade my well used high top van with a new(ish) mtorhome. Although in many ways I adore my van and it is particularly convenient and easy to drive I need more space and I am fed up with hassle of having to make up the bed every night. The van only needs to be two berth but I would like a fixed double bed. However I don't want an enormous van. I'm also not keen on an overcab bed. I have read the article on the Auotcruise St****eker this month and it looks like a potnetial option. Does anyone have any advice on other vans - small but fixed double?

Thanks

hi Jasper

Whilst we don't want the fixed bed, we actually have been looking around for a 'small' (ie under 6m) one with rear lounge. On the 'new' market, most are now over the 6m, as the new FIAT cab is iteself longer. In the end we've gone forone which is 6.3m.

However, there are quite a few with fxd double bed around that size, and you could consider the smaller Rapido, 707 (5.99m) or 743 (6.49m), or ther Burstner Marano t575 (5.99m) or t580 (6.18m).

But do take into account that in this small a vehicle, although a little quicker and easy to jump into bed, a large proportion of your 'living' space is taken up by something which is only used for maybe 7hrs per day(night!), and will almost certainly compromise considerably on what else can be fitted!

That's the reason we like the rear lounge/diner/bed arrangement, and it on takes 'two ticks' to make/unmake the bed anyway!

Hello Jasper

I shall give my usual advice, have a look at Adria twin, especialy new model. You get a fixed bed and small diner all in a LWB high top, you can use the bed for lounging on during day and you get large storage underneath, so its something you can use 24HOURS PER DAY if it suits you, I also like this arangement as it allows two people to 'get away' from each other whilst still in van. Devon have a similair layout on a Movano but it has a smaller bed,

Also have a look at the Burstner t585, (now Marano t585, but the Marano range didn't exist until a couple of years ago).  Also 6M long with rear fixed bed and parallel washroom, front half dinette with swivel cab seats and very good storage.  We've used ours for trips of up to 10 weeks and found it provided excellent, and very comfortable, accommodation.

Hi jasper

The latest trend seems to be the small coachbuilts with 'van' in the name.

Practical Motorhome is about to take the new Knaus Van Ti on long term test (which I like the look of) and there are others made by Hobby and Hymer.

Most of these have a fixed bed layout and are much narrower than a traditional coachbuilt and, usually, around the 6m mark.

Good luck with the search, regards, David

tonyishuk - 2007-03-19 7:04 PM

Rapido 709 / 710 / 708 All less than 20 ft (I think the last two model numnbers are correct). We have the former.

Rgds

Rapido 709 - 5.53m in length, fixed rear bed, half dinnette. We only recently changed ours for a larger van but had the Rapido for over 3.5 years it was so good.

The Rapido 710 is a bit of a longer van with a rear lounge which makes up into a bed and a mini dinette up front which makes up into a narrow transverse single bed with another single bunk above, no rear passenger seats though.

Forget the Rapido 708 though, it wasn't that popular so you're unlikely to find one on the second hand market, it was the forerunner of the 709 and had a half dinette but facing backwards with another bit of dinette seating that dropped down from the side of the van and onto the end of the bed, quite ingenius but not that practical. Again, no rear passenger seat.

As for all things second hand, go looking with several options which you'll consider, rather than just restricting yourself to one particular van.

Hi Jasper

We have looked recently at several smaller coachbuilts with a fixed bed. The Autocruise Star Seeker is a lovely van but not on our short list due to

a) It is quite high off the ground with two steps up we have visions of slipping when exiting the van.

b) The price appears to have gone up by several thousand pounds and is now about £42000 and for that you can choose plenty other vans.

c) The current upholstery options are an acquired taste.

We did love the layout, the length and the tranverse bed.

The Rapido 707 is another lovely short coachbuilt.

The Marano t585 was also very good and worth a look as it is about £7000 cheaper than the Autocruise.

Saw the Knaus Van Ti just as we were leaving the NEC so didn't get to have as good a look as I would have liked.

• 2 weeks later...
Jasper - 2007-03-19 1:59 PM

I need more space and I am fed up with hassle of having to make up the bed every night.... Does anyone have any advice on other vans - small but fixed double?"

I know what you mean. Making up a bed every time you want to go to sleep or just want a snooze (or whatever) after a day at the beach, is a right nuisance. But converted high-top vans are brilliant because you can get down narrow streets, park where cars park, and use them as an everyday vehicle (they're pretty discreet and easy to manoeuvre).

I scoured the market for a LWB van with a fixed bed and finally settled on a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD Allyear-Camper 'Cool' (LHD). I also looked at another called a Possl '2Win' which also has a fixed bed in the rear. With this arrangement, you free up loads of storage space under the bed where you can bolt in a large safebox for your valuables (I've got a 'Van Vault Lock n Load' in my van) and still have room for plenty of other stuff.

You don't lose a table because there's one up front, behind the drivers' seat (which swivels around) and a double seat opposite. All this converts into an extra bed, making it a 3-berth.

You don't get that in vans which have the conventional bench/table arrangement in the back. If you want something for long trips, a fixed double bed is a must, and with the couple of models I've mentioned, you get the best of both worlds.

Hope you find what you're looking for. Happy travels!

Hi jasper

Had another couple of thoughts over the weekend.

Devon do a LWB conversion on the Renault Master called the Monaco which has a fixed double bed at the rear. Probably one of ther best value ones around.

I was also reading an article that appeared in one of last years MMM's about the introduction of Vanmaster van conversions. The first was Endeavour but was not a fixed bed. However, the artivcle went on to say that they (Vanmaster) were going to import a Mercedes Sprinter based model with a drop down bed in the cab - can't remember the name though but someone on here may - or a search on the web may come up with something.

Regards, David

Hello All,

Why the fixation with 6 metre vehicle length is this purely to avoid more costly fares on ferries? If so is it really worth having to compromise on layout, equipment, practicality and comfort just to save a few pounds?

I can understand the problems with maybe having to get a vehicle into a tight parking space at home or in storage. My Trigano is 5.9 metres in length and still exceeds most car park parking space lengths so a van at say 6.2 metres is going to make little difference to where I drive or park it.

It seems to me that height is a more critical measurement with height barriers and increased ferry fares. Some places I can get the Trigano to were no go areas for the previous Sundance (8 ft 4 in against 10ft 2 in).

Have I missed something about the 6 metre length restriction?

Regards,

Mike.

I suspect the concern over 6m is largely the additional ferry costs - however, we are changing to a mtoorhome over the 6m length (6.3m and also into the next height bracket (over 2.6m), and out trip to france using Brittany ferries has increased by the princely net sum of £25 return - thats using the discount as a member of the 'owners club'. Even if not, I guess hte extra would be something like £35, so it's not hugely worrying.

I'm not sure how this relates to the various Ferries futher along the coast, where the basic costs are so much cheaper to start withof course.

The additional actual length over the previous vehicle is around 2' I think, and certainly when test driving, I wasn't conscious of any difference on the road. Parking will, I guess, show up the extra though.

For me, personally, my choice of sub 6m van (just!) has been dictated purely by parking space at home. We live in a modern housing estate where places are built almost on top of each other. In an attempt to keep neighbours as happy as possible, we've gone as small as possible (for our needs).

Hence we've just bought an Adria Twin.

Given the space (and the finances) I'd be willing to pay the extra few quid on the few occasions we'd take it on a ferry and have the choice of any motorhome on the market.

On the other hand, as someone said to me on another thread here, "there isn't a city in Europe that white van man can't deliver". He didn't mention anything about parking though ;-)

Mike Chapman - 2007-04-02 1:42 PM Hello All, Why the fixation with 6 metre vehicle length is this purely to avoid more costly fares on ferries? If so is it really worth having to compromise on layout, equipment, practicality and comfort just to save a few pounds? I can understand the problems with maybe having to get a vehicle into a tight parking space at home or in storage. My Trigano is 5.9 metres in length and still exceeds most car park parking space lengths so a van at say 6.2 metres is going to make little difference to where I drive or park it. It seems to me that height is a more critical measurement with height barriers and increased ferry fares. Some places I can get the Trigano to were no go areas for the previous Sundance (8 ft 4 in against 10ft 2 in). Have I missed something about the 6 metre length restriction? Regards, Mike.

I think it is a bit of all those, Mike.  Somewhere around 6 metres you get a reasonable MIRO, so also a good payload within 3.5 tonnes , you get reasonable manoeuverability, you get cheaper ferry fares (though this will vary by time of day, and by season, by route and by company), and you generally have a workable rear overhang, so won't leave half your tail on the gangplank!

I think your comments re height are almost in the same category as for length, which is to say what you can't get under with a, say 2.7 metres, low profile you still won't get under with a luton at 2.9 metres, and you'll probably still be excluded in a panel van!

Depending or where one wants to go, and how one prefers to travel in terms of motorways, main roads or secondary roads, I think the biggest influence on relaxed driving is width.  I know many disagree, but I still think the "standard" European coachbuilt at 2.3 metres wide, is uncomfortably fat once you get away from the dual carriageway or major route type roads.  Something closer to 2 metres just makes the travel that bit more relaxed if the secondary roads are your preferred way to go.  Having said that, if you prefer the cruise control and the motorways the extra width won't matter a hoot. 

But then, if we were all the same there'd only be one van on the market, and we'd keep meeting each other in the same place!

Guest starspirit

The 8 hours a night spent in bed is important but as you are (presumably) asleep you are not aware of where you are - as long as it is wide, long and comfortable enough.

What can be more important is the lounging area where you sit for a rest when on route and where you sit every evening for a length of time directly proportional to the levels of dark, wet, cold, and TV quality.

Fixed bed vans do not generally have comfortable lounges. There are exceptions but none that I have found in an under 6.0 metre van. If you find one please let me know.

That is why we have a van with a rear lounge which converts into a massive double bed in very short order. Inconvenient when you are very tired, sure, but not as inconvenient as an uncomfortable lounge and a narrow fixed bed - unless you need the under bed storage of course?

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice old bean.

Archived