Calor Gas Abroad

_Chris

It's perhaps worth adding that a Campingaz 907 bottle contains butane gas that vaporises less well in cold weather and that, due to the bottle's small capacity, it won't cope with high demand gas appliances.

A 2000 Symbol had a Carver P4 gas-fuelled air heater (2.2kw output?) and a Carver Cascade water boiler, plus a 3-burner gas hob and a gas oven. It ought to be possible to run all of these simultaneously from a Calor propane bottle, but trying to do that using a Campingaz 907 bottle would be a completely unrealistic expectation.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-10-19 1:55 PM

The quoted dimensions of the Energaz canister are 570mm (height) x 300mm diameter...

I wondered about the size after posting the link earlier so while down in the workshop today I measured a Intermarche propane bottle and its height is 500mm x 300mm wide so only a little higher than a Calor Propane bottle

I also suspected that the 57cm height quoted in the selectra.info link you provided earlier might be incorrect for the 9kg Energaz propane bottle available from Intermarché, particularly as it was mentioned on the link that the height of the Energaz bottle was less that that of the French-norm 13kg metal canister. And in 2018 this forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gas-in-France-Pas-de-Calor/48524/

said The dimensions of the Intermarché "Energaz" 9 kilo bottle are: Diametre 305 mm Hauteur 495mm.

The 2018 MHFun forum thread I referred to earlier as covering installing a user-refillable bottle in a 2000 Symbol has photos of the gas-locker (three of the images copied below) that suggest that an Energaz 9kg bottle might well be OK height-wise. Not sure about the bottle’s 300mm diameter as the locker’s two peculiar black plastic vertical tubes take up valuable space. The Symbol’s locker is described in the MHFun thread as follows

...There are two large factory fitted vents at the bottom of the gas locker and two large hoses running from outside in to the top of the locker - fresh air replenishment. However, the locker door (inside the camper) is loose fitting, on a simple catch, no seal and, I suspect, would allow gas in to the main habitation area if there was a leak. This would need to be a substantial leak though. Minor leaks would drop out through the vents.

If the locker door were properly sealed (which it ought to be in any case) and there were adequately-sized ‘drop vents’ in the locker’s floor, it should be acceptable to remove the two vertical tubes to gain extra space. I believe the red gas bottle in the 3rd image below is a GAS-IT 6kg user-refillable canister (495mm height x 246mm diameter) so any significantly taller bottle (eg. Flogas 11kg at 560mm) would almost certainly not fit.

For Spain, if the Symbol’s gas locker can accommodate a bottle at least 300mm in diameter, Repsol’s K6 6kg ‘plastic’ bottle is said to have dimensions of 400mm (height) and 310mm (diameter). No Spanish bottle seems to be smaller than that.

locker1.png.03370ec6735f41b31bc09fc37516717d.png

locker2.png.81780907beb5d46f589a350708c3ba17.png

locker3.png.b557f573b74e6c663071c32f1703f46f.png

Archived