glow plug light

gengis

Hello, i have a 2014 fiat ducato 130, a fault light has appeared warning to check glow plugs, having put a diagnostic on it comes with the code ,,0683,,,,Pre heating glow plug signal....short circuit at ground present, would this be ..glow plug or wiring or glow plug module, any thoughts or recommendations please, thanks Gengis

What diagnostic reader are you using? P0638 on the Ducato indicates a throttle body issue.

If you search the forum for "P0638" you will find a lot of relevant threads. If you additionally filter the results by the author "euroserv" you should fairly quickly find a lot of useful information.

Sorry, misread the diagnostic code. I've got my specs on now!

Diagnostic codes only indicate the physical nature of the problem. You need to test the components and wiring methodically to determine the cause, although most garages these days just seem to replace relevant parts until they fix the issue (or not) and charge the owner for all of them :(

If you have or can download a copy of eLearn, the procedure for diagnosing glow plug and controller faults is contained in it under Test/Electrical Equipment/Engine Starting/Cold Starting System (Diesel Engines).

You can get it from the Fiat Forum, in the downloads section for the Ducato, but it is a multipart file, and some users seem to have trouble re-assembling it.

@Robinhood made a ready to use copy available on a different site a few months ago. If you need a copy, he might be prepared to repeat the process, as the link has probably expired now as this thread explains:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X250-eLearn/55640/#M655258

The only other thing I would add is that the risk of a glow plug snapping on any attempt to extract it is quite large, with potentially expensive repairs to drill out and retap the thread, so you might want to consider trying a replacement control unit and keeping your fingers crossed, if there are no obvious issues with the relevant wiring.

Hi Deneb, Thank you for your reply and input, don't really want to go down the route of glow plug replacement, going to try checking wiring behind headlight, if nothing found will replace module, the camper has only done 23000 , but i do live 150 yards from the sea , so all the winds and rain could be rotting the wiring, will try and check it when it stops bloody raining :$ , many thanks Nick

If you use the forum Search facility to search for posts containing the words "glow plug" and posted by the users "euroserv" and "mikefitz" for all time periods you will find quite a lot of useful and expert information, some of which might convince you not to worry too much.

You'll have to do two separate searches, one for each username, but it will bring up several relevant posts.

Hi Deneb, Sorry for late reply, Many thanks on your input, have read a few of euroserv posts for which i will go down the route of wiring, (glow light not come on this last few days,) anyway great forum, and again many thanks , Nick

Archived