General failure Fiat warning light

Deesider

"General failure" (amber triangle enclosing an exclamation mark) as indicated in the Fiat manual does cover a multitude of possibilities. What is happening in my case is that it remains lit after the first start up of the day but not on subsequent start ups. I have checked the obvious possibilities such as bulbs etc but puzzled by its intermittent manner. It does not seem to affect the running of the vehicle.

Has anybody had a similar experience and would I be correct in thinking it is not critical and can be left to the next service?

Deesider - 2020-11-02 4:16 PM

"General failure" (amber triangle enclosing an exclamation mark) as indicated in the Fiat manual does cover a multitude of possibilities. What is happening in my case is that it remains lit after the first start up of the day but not on subsequent start ups. I have checked the obvious possibilities such as bulbs etc but puzzled by its intermittent manner. It does not seem to affect the running of the vehicle.

Has anybody had a similar experience and would I be correct in thinking it is not critical and can be left to the next service?

On the first start up is the ignition cycle e.g. oil level reading etc, being completed before starting the engine?

Do you wait for the instrument cluster self-test to complete before starting the engine? It's good practice to do so on a modern vehicle, and it is a known cause of the general failure light illuminating with no fault codes being recorded.

I've had this issue.

Was told by FIAT agent that the FIAT response was that I wasn't starting the engine correctly - there is more to it than turning the key and as suggested in a previous post you have to let the checking process complete before you turn the key the last bit to fire the engine. The other 'reason' was that the engine battery wasn't fully charged.

This seemed to make a difference but are you getting correct oil level details on the dash when you start up? I ask because I was getting a low oil reading on the occasions the warning light stayed on but not on the next start up later in the day. The dip stick always said oil level was ok.

The final outcome was the dealer made a case to FIAT to replace the oil level probe under warranty - not something FIAT want to do because of the labour involved. The dealer dod tell me that they had seen this a lot on similar age vans (mine's a 67 reg) and that on every one they had done the oil level probe which should be a simple loop had a twist in it and they wondered if this was connected. I don't know whether there is any truth in what they told me mind so don't anybody give me grief as I'm only passing on what I was told.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Archived