Ducato 2.8JTD brake switch

Deffheads

Has anyone managed to replace a brake switch on the top of the brake pedal. I have tried and come to the conclusion the vehicle was built around the control pedals upwards. The switch can be fitted on its own, but not with wiring connector attached and not possible to fit wiring plug once switch is in place.

Also not helped by being RHD with door on passenger side, so working upside down and left handed [which I'm not]

Any advise?

Yes, replaced mine about a year or so ago. My vehicle is LHD which meant that the door is on the driver’s side. I can’t speak to the pedal arrangement on a RHD version but in my case it was fiddly and required some on the back contortion but once fitted there was space for connecting the cabling although from what I recall I did it mostly by touch once it was lined up. I don’t have any tips other than to stare at it for a long time with the aid of a torch, sometimes a new angle of attack becomes apparent, it works for me.

It is a difficult task, but possible with some filing of a gap or slot above the switch. I changed mine when carrying out the cruise control modification outlined on the Fiat Forum.

Probably easier if the lower dash on nthe drivers side is removed first, but can you do this on your vehicle? If the original Fiat lower dash is fitted, there is one screw facing outwards, which is difficult to reach with the door closed on my PVC.

To remove the lower dash first remove the lower steering column shroud. ( 4 off PZ2 headed screws, and easier to engage the driver in the screw head if you can fit a short piece of 6mm or similar hose over the driver shaft.)

With the shroud removed the lower dash retaining screws can be removed - several T20, and one H5 headed screw.

After considering several methods I opted for the filing the slot approach, with which I eventually suceeded. For the area where filing was required see photo attached to post #22 of the Fiat Forum thread linked to earlier by Robin.

I am left handed, so perhaps that made it slightly easier.

Alan

BruceM - 2020-11-13 9:55 PM

Yes, replaced mine about a year or so ago. My vehicle is LHD which meant that the door is on the driver’s side. I can’t speak to the pedal arrangement on a RHD version but in my case it was fiddly and required some on the back contortion but once fitted there was space for connecting the cabling although from what I recall I did it mostly by touch once it was lined up. I don’t have any tips other than to stare at it for a long time with the aid of a torch, sometimes a new angle of attack becomes apparent, it works for me.

Before changing the switch on my PVC, I researched the cruise control modification on the Italian forum Camperonline. There were no reports on that forum of any difficulty encountered while changing the brake pedal switch on their LHD vehicles. I am left to conclude that the problem is due to minor constructional differences between LHD and RHD vehicles. It may be the case that RHD vehicles are manufactured on a different production line.

Alan

Archived