Why we are not welcome on the NC500

BS20

colin - 2020-11-18 10:29 PM

A publicity stunt by some youtubers which didn't involve any human waste, the Daily Fail has given them the fame they desire.

And now whether we do or not the public is left to decide what we do with our waste and isn't it banned during lockdown to hire a motorhome

colin - 2020-11-18 10:29 PM

A publicity stunt by some youtubers which didn't involve any human waste, the Daily Fail has given them the fame they desire.

Yes. Misleading headline .......

Updated headline and story from a local paper

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2660380/apology-and-donation-from-nc500-road-trippers-who-poured-toilet-waste-over-north-layby/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1IdcsNyKQKgLprc2SymhB6Tnpcym8DGz53zRa0ffVySSo3ROTtEhGoqOE

Apologies, Retractions what ever the damage has been done Now. A friend asked me how do You manage my reply was All my trips are in Europe where facility's are provided He asked is it the same here I replied No so he's believing it does happen and until he'd seen the video he'd never given it a thought

witzend - 2020-11-19 10:07 AM

A friend asked me how do You manage my reply was All my trips are in Europe where facility's are provided He asked is it the same here I replied No so he's believing it does happen and until he'd seen the video he'd never given it a thought

I hope that you pointed out that there are campsites in the UK some of which are inexpensive small sites, as little as £5 per night all with emptying facilities, available to members of the CAMC and CCC.

Perhaps you were not aware of that if you never travel in the UK!

Grumpyman - 2020-11-19 2:38 PM

Surely the company van can be traced and then the culprits who hired it. they should have there noses rubbed it it.

As pointed out its a fake hoax video. Its probably lime cordial coming out of the toilet.

It was all over the "NC500 the land weeps" facebook group yesterday though who in the main are very anti motorhome.

"We". are not welcome in many places in the UK, Not just the NC500. Largely, IMV, due to the adverse publicity that has been generated over many years, it goes back to the abuse of parking in coastal towns, where motor homes where parking up for days, if not weeks on occasion, "free" camping. There is a difference by a long way, between one `van staying no more than one or at the most two nights, and, as the saying goes "leaving nothing behind but footprints", and the "freeloaders". who having paid several thousands of pounds or more for their vehicles, are not prepared to use camp-grounds and who in fact get online a "crow" about the money saved. There are limited facilities within the UK site system for "servicing" The CCC do/did offer that for a fee at selected sites, and IMV motor-homing will become very much more restricted in future based on the perception of the public, playing into the hands of "officialdom", and their answer to everything? ie BAN IT.

There has been much said over time about the "Stelplatz or Aire" facilities that are found in continental Europe, and whilst it would be nice to see "over here". It is unlikely ever to happen, because the "will" is not here, and the European system was introduced in an entirely more welcoming era.

It is not helped here either by the blatant abuses of the so called "Travellers", creating Illegal sites and screaming racism when challenged. Or leaving behind huge amounts of detritus and filth in public parks as well as drug paraphernalia. It does not take much imagination to see that they would soon latch onto any UK "aire" system and perpetuate their abuses. In 2015?, it took York council a long time and cost a fortune to the local rate payers to remove them from the Riverside car park!. Sections of Hull`s East Park was closed to the public for weeks because of the "hazard".

mel wood - 2020-11-19 2:55 PM

I hope that you pointed out that there are campsites in the UK some of which are inexpensive small sites, as little as £5 per night all with emptying facilities, available to members of the CAMC and CCC.

Perhaps you were not aware of that if you never travel in the UK!

11 yrs approx 8 mths a year only 2 nites on a site nr St Tropez never emptied grey or black anywhere but in a place intended for it. No I never mentioned sites for 5£ a nite because I never knew one existed and also because I,ve seen grey water drained in a carpark and people saying its ok to tip it under bushes and while wilding I,ve seen cassetes emptied in the under growth more than once so have no doubt it happens

witzend,

I have no doubt that some motorhomers do dump waste totally inappropriately and irresponsibly. Pete H makes some valid points in his post above.

A point I was making is that it is unhelpful , even disingenuous, for people to be given the false impression that this is because there is a lack of facilities in this country for disposing of waste. Unfortunately, there is undoubtedly a small number of motorhomers who don't see why they should use campsites and who are unwilling to pay even a small amount to do so even though they could empty their chemical toilet and fill up with fresh water. All certificated sites and temporary holiday sites provided by CCC and CAMC provide these facilities, sometimes for as little as £5.

• 8 months later...

I realise this is an old thread but I thought it useful to open it again with this - the Conclusions from a report on motorhomes on the NC500 by the University of Lincoln. Full report too big!:-

Conclusions

The research set out to learn more about how motorhome tourists on the NC500 behave, and while attempting to evaluate their impact, also determine how they are treated as a consumer group. The data reveals that in many ways they are a group that are not well catered for, underappreciated and undervalued. Motorhome owners are an older demographic who have the time and resources to spend an above average amount of time in the NC500 area at periods of the year outside the peak school holiday/summer season. They are making positive economic impacts along the route and they are spending money in a wide range of local business which includes attractions, local grocery shops, pubs and cafes. The suggestion that motorhome tourists do a big supermarket shop before they commence the route and not set foot outside their vehicle again, is comprehensively debunked by these findings. On the contrary, many prioritised local shopping, they often hoped to spend more on local produce and many felt it was difficult to park at businesses along the route.

The findings reveal a more complex picture with regard to over-night parking/camping choices. Some 80% of respondents free camped, not because they were saving money, but because it was highly desired. The opportunity to be in a beautiful location and experience a sense of freedom is central to their motorhome experience on the NC500 and if problematic free camping is to be mitigated, this will need to be considered when policy is being formulated. In fact, motorhome tourists are using campsites in order to access the facilities they need, but they are only doing so intermittently and consider them overpriced and not fit for their purpose. So, while there are challenges ahead in order to accommodate motorhome preferences, there are also significant opportunities for towns, villages and even rural property owners to meet the specific needs of motorhomes.

Overall, the sharp increase in motorhome ownership suggests a more considered strategy to accommodate motorhomes is needed. Although they present challenges and behave in very different ways to more traditional campers, they are a group that has the potential to bring significant economic benefits to the area and their needs need to be catered for more specifically. Vilifying and banning them from parking in public places, while pushing them towards conventional campsites is not a strategy supported by the data in this study. It is clear that further, more detailed study into motorhome use is required. More importantly from the point of residents living near the NC500, a much wider study should be conducted into people sleeping in vehicles that are perhaps not fully equipped motorhomes.

PeteH - 2020-11-19 5:16 PM

"freeloaders".

I pay road and other vehicle related taxes which pay the cost of roads several times over.

So I can't see why I am 'freeloading' any more than the millions of others who park their vehicles on public roads overnight.

Public roads belong to EVERYBODY

We all have an equal right to use them

So nobody has the right to say who is welcome to use them and who isn't. >:-)

PeteH - 2020-11-19 5:16 PM

It is not helped here either by the blatant abuses of the so called "Travellers", creating Illegal sites and screaming racism when challenged. Or leaving behind huge amounts of detritus and filth in public parks as well as drug paraphernalia. It does not take much imagination to see that they would soon latch onto any UK "aire" system and perpetuate their abuses. In 2015?, it took York council a long time and cost a fortune to the local rate payers to remove them from the Riverside car park!. Sections of Hull`s East Park was closed to the public for weeks because of the "hazard".

I've stayed at the Appleby Horse fair and everyone I met seemed OK :-D

Certainly felt more welcome there than in some posh places :-D

But any large gathering seems to attract its share of undesirables :-(

Many of the problems on the NC 500 arise from inexperience and from "selling the dream" sadly a totally false and unrealistic dream that you can stop and camp where you want in peace, solitude and blissful sunshine. That hasn't been possible since the 1950s.

Having done the NC500 for nearly 20 years (long before it was invented) we would not do it now, having experienced a convoy of 25 (they were sequentially numbered on their windscreens) Italian motorhomes on a single track road.

Sadly a tourist idea has been a victim of its own success and in some ways at least a disaster so long as the infrastructure is inadequate. Education and expectation management by van hirers and others would help but it will take a long time (if ever) for problems to be fully resolved. So to an extent we feel as if we have been robbed of comfortable access to a part of our country which we love even though we acknowledge it is nice to share it and to see tourist businesses thrive.

Its not unique though apparently there is a litter problem on the lower stretches of Mount everest.

Well Scotland still seems more amenable to motorhomes than England.

I have overnighted outside Nicola Sturgeon's residence in Charlotte Square (free of charge) :-D

(Bit noisy so I couldn't recommend it, but nobody bothered me)

How close could you get to Downing Street now *-)

(although there was a time when you could drive down it)

arthur49 - 2021-08-14 9:02 AM

I realise this is an old thread but I thought it useful to open it again with this - the Conclusions from a report on motorhomes on the NC500 by the University of Lincoln. Full report too big!:-

Conclusions

The research set out to learn more about how motorhome tourists on the NC500 behave, and while attempting to evaluate their impact, also determine how they are treated as a consumer group. The data reveals that in many ways they are a group that are not well catered for, underappreciated and undervalued. Motorhome owners are an older demographic who have the time and resources to spend an above average amount of time in the NC500 area at periods of the year outside the peak school holiday/summer season. They are making positive economic impacts along the route and they are spending money in a wide range of local business which includes attractions, local grocery shops, pubs and cafes. The suggestion that motorhome tourists do a big supermarket shop before they commence the route and not set foot outside their vehicle again, is comprehensively debunked by these findings. On the contrary, many prioritised local shopping, they often hoped to spend more on local produce and many felt it was difficult to park at businesses along the route.

The findings reveal a more complex picture with regard to over-night parking/camping choices. Some 80% of respondents free camped, not because they were saving money, but because it was highly desired. The opportunity to be in a beautiful location and experience a sense of freedom is central to their motorhome experience on the NC500 and if problematic free camping is to be mitigated, this will need to be considered when policy is being formulated. In fact, motorhome tourists are using campsites in order to access the facilities they need, but they are only doing so intermittently and consider them overpriced and not fit for their purpose. So, while there are challenges ahead in order to accommodate motorhome preferences, there are also significant opportunities for towns, villages and even rural property owners to meet the specific needs of motorhomes.

Overall, the sharp increase in motorhome ownership suggests a more considered strategy to accommodate motorhomes is needed. Although they present challenges and behave in very different ways to more traditional campers, they are a group that has the potential to bring significant economic benefits to the area and their needs need to be catered for more specifically. Vilifying and banning them from parking in public places, while pushing them towards conventional campsites is not a strategy supported by the data in this study. It is clear that further, more detailed study into motorhome use is required. More importantly from the point of residents living near the NC500, a much wider study should be conducted into people sleeping in vehicles that are perhaps not fully equipped motorhomes.

I don’t suppose you have a link to that report do you? I can’t find it online and it would prove very useful.

Archived