Croatia

weldted

If and when its safe for ourselves and others, thinking about a trip to Croatia? Never been so any info great, am I correct in Croatia is not in the Schengen zone and would not count for the 90/180 days, other than the time its takes to get there and back.

We will be self sufficient in hopefully will not need hook up, but understand wild camping is not allowed (fine) so will just need basic sites etc.

Fabulous destination, we use ACSI listed sites, as you get further south there are lots of small family run sites that are great value, all the islands are worth visiting, Plitivich Lakes are a must visit as to is Trogir. September good time to visit, much quieter but the sea is still lovely and warm and everywhere still mostly open.

Not in Schengen, but is obliged to join in future. But what would you be looking for?

We went in 2008, so not recent, but happy to say what we found interesting, if you have similar interests. Post Covid, I imagine many campsites across Europe will have folded due to lack of incomes, so wherever you go I think it will be necessary to check which are open. Websites outlive their authors!

We went out via France, Germany, Austria and Italy, entering and leaving Croatia near Trieste, via Kozina. We did a round tour of Istria and then down to Dubrovnik on the non-motorway coast road (the Magistrala) (which, due to the Bora, involved us passing through the "Neum corridor" - which many UK insurers don't cover as it's in Bosnia Herzegovina) - and back on the Trpanj to Ploce ferry (no Bora! :-)), which cuts out Neum, and then by roughly the same route back to the border near Trieste. We returned to UK via northern Italy and France.

For 90/180 day reasons you'll need to get your passports stamped crossing whichever Schengen border crossing you use, and again when re-entering Schengen. Otherwise, you will be assumed to have spent all your time in Schengen.

I doubt you will get that stamp at the border. Maybe if you go into Bosnia but even that's not a given. BTW that ferry bypass of Neum will soon be obsolete. The chinese just might finish building a bridge from Ploce to Pelješac by the time you guys can get down here. I never understood why your insurers don't give you coverage but then again, for the 10-15min you spend in Bosnia on the way to Dubrovnik I honestly wouldn't give a ....

BTW2 Bora is a much bigger problem in the northern Adriatic. Roughly between Rijeka and Zadar is where you can get into most trouble. Destroyed awnings are common, overturned MH not unheard of. Especially those that insist parking out in the open in the first row along the shore. They don't stand a chance broadside against the wind.

BTW3 wild camping is ilegal and seriously discouraged, especially during season on the coast. Just not worth a rude night visit by police (it happens a lot). But then again, you don't have many options beyond camps (which are everywhere). There are very, very few sites/aires/stellplatze.

spirou - 2020-11-19 8:23 PM

I never understood why your insurers don't give you coverage but then again, for the 10-15min you spend in Bosnia on the way to Dubrovnik I honestly wouldn't give a........

When we went to Dubrovnik a few years ago my then insurer (through CCC) was happy to give me basic insurance to cover Bosnia (actually for a month) for just over £30. It was less than the cost of using the ferry.

I was happy to pay this as I think it would have been irresponsible not to have 3rd party insurance. In the, admittedly rare, chance I had an accident which crippled or killed someone imagine the costs and the moral feelings of deliberately not covering this eventuality.

We also had to show papers at the border on entering Bosnia. Without insurance documents we could have been refused entry or told to pay insurance fees there and then. It just wasn't worth considering not having insurance ............and for such a small price in the overall cost of the twelve week trip we undertook.

Tourism is the principal 'industry' in Croatia, and their main source of income so don't expect any 'free' camping. There are plenty of sites to choose from and they range from large thousand pitch sites to small 'minikamps'. We've been 9 times to Croatia, 8 in our motorhome.

As has been said, September is the best time to go. The crystal clear water is still a comfortable 20C and the crowds have gone.

A good source of information is the Croatian Camping Club.

Look here https://www.camping.hr/

Thank you for your replies, we are not looking for (free) camping just prefer the smaller basic sites, when we do use free aires where possible we support them by spending locally even if it costs a bit more, everything costs so its only fair to give something back. It’s quite sad when you see the mad rush in the morning to leave before the collector comes around, or vans turn up mid morning plug in then leave before nightfall. It’s no wonder in France more and more aires are becoming pay at barrier.

mel wood - 2020-11-20 9:35 AM

spirou - 2020-11-19 8:23 PM

I never understood why your insurers don't give you coverage but then again, for the 10-15min you spend in Bosnia on the way to Dubrovnik I honestly wouldn't give a........

When we went to Dubrovnik a few years ago my then insurer (through CCC) was happy to give me basic insurance to cover Bosnia (actually for a month) for just over £30. It was less than the cost of using the ferry.

I was happy to pay this as I think it would have been irresponsible not to have 3rd party insurance. In the, admittedly rare, chance I had an accident which crippled or killed someone imagine the costs and the moral feelings of deliberately not covering this eventuality.

We also had to show papers at the border on entering Bosnia. Without insurance documents we could have been refused entry or told to pay insurance fees there and then. It just wasn't worth considering not having insurance ............and for such a small price in the overall cost of the twelve week trip we undertook.

Scenic provide green card insurance free. My first time there i drove the coast road similar to Brian so passed the Nuem corridor. Whilst waiting at the checkpoint to go through, a Croatian registered car behind me suddenly pulled out and shot off past the astonished guards! By the time I got waved through, the Croatian driver had been pulled over at their border by police!

No idea if Scenic will still provide free from January 2021 as much will change from then on. I found Croatia a bit pricey by comparison to Bosnia or Serbia. Croatia draws a hell of a lot of tourists through and they know how to capitalise from that.

Archived