Ferry prices

davidmac

Hi, about this time last yearI booked a couple of ferry crossings for June / July witch had to be cancelled due to covid. Looking to book the same crossings for 2021. Overnight Harwich to Hook, Stenna, 2020 £146- 2021 £188, Calais to Dover, P&O, 2020 £67-2021 £110.The prices for this 2020 were with a 10% CAMC discount and 2021 prices are ferry website prices , does seem quite an increase though especially P&O. I have tickets for two events that were postponed for a year so hoping to use them next year.

Regards David

In 2020 I’ve rebooked three times a Portsmouth-to-Caen Brittany Ferries (BF) return trip. The initial price was £261 and the 2nd and 3rd prices were both £255. These crossings were to be in 2020, The price of the 3rd rebooking - for April 2021 - was £306.60. (All of these crossing were for 2 adults and our Rapido motorhome, and all the prices had attracted a 30% Club Voyage discount.)

The rebooking for April 2021 was made on 5 October and a test booking today for the identical trip produced an identical £306.60 price.

I don’t see any startling trend in this. In the normal course of events I’d have anticipated BF ticket prices to rise annually and, once it became apparent this year that tourist passenger-carrying would reduce dramatically and unavoidably, I expected the BF prices to increase significantly for 2021. In fact, I’m mildly surprised that ‘my’ price hadn’t gone up more when I rebooked for next April.

Once the C&MC discount is allowed for, David’s prices went from £146 and £67 in 2020 to £169 and £99 for 2021. The pro rata increase is (as David says) higher for the P&O Calais to Dover crossing, but an extra £32 is hardly going to break the bank.

Are you sure you aren’t misreading the result?

I did a Eurotunnel test run on the C&MC site - outbound from Folkestone on 29 December 2020 around 16:00 and return from Calais on 9 June 2021 at around 10:00 - and got the result shown below.

Or are you querying that no time-of-arrival is given? The Eurotunnel crossing time is 35 minutes, so as the start-time will be known, it should be easy enough to calculate the arrival time.

eurotunnel.png.e70bdd05c7fd647dea7c23a7ba551ad5.png

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-03 4:48 PM

Are you sure you aren’t misreading the result?

I did a Eurotunnel test run on the C&MC site - outbound from Folkestone on 29 December 2020 around 16:00 and return from Calais on 9 June 2021 at around 10:00 - and got the result shown below.

Or are you querying that no time-of-arrival is given? The Eurotunnel crossing time is 35 minutes, so as the start-time will be known, it should be easy enough to calculate the arrival time.

Derek

Yes, *-) was only looking at the times on the right ,,,,, oops!

Thanks Derek

Archived