Deadlocks

slowdriver

I appreciate that this one of those subjects that has been done to death on various threads - almost. So apologies in advance. I have a 6.4m Fiat based PVC.

To avoid re-visiting earlier contributions:

- I absolutely agree on the layered approach advocated by many posters here. To that end I have:

- an alarm

- a tracker

- a steering wheel disklock

- a Milenco wheel clamp (for use at home)

- I understand how to reverse the drivers seat and secure it to inhibit anyone driving the van away, and have plans to do that.

I am considering adding separate dead-bolt locks to each of the doors: passenger, driver's, side (habitation), and rear, using these locks:-

https://www.protectavan.co.uk/content/deadlock

The advantage of these locks seem to be:

- Can be installed without disturbing the internal trim

- Visible additional deterrent

- no need for proplates.

- independent of the Fiat electronic locking system

Disadavantage:

- can only be operated from outside the vehicle.

Proposed use:

On the road and when we are away from the van e.g. on a city centre visit, I intend to lock all the doors.

At night, when in the van, the rear, passenger and driver's doors would be locked from the outside.

The side habitation door dead lock would be left unlocked, but a further means of securing the door from the inside will be installed and used at night. We would therefore have one door (the habitation door) we could easily get out of. One concern is how to exit in an emergency, if some reason the habitation door could not be opened. We could probably exit through the Sietz top hinged side window, (not yet tested).If not, we would be reduced to smashing the windscreen with a hammer.

I pretty sure I am over-thinking this. Which is not unusual!

I am interested in people's observations as to the pluses and minuses of this arrangement.

Some years ago I met a UK couple on an aire at Saint-Amand-Montrond. They told me that they 'wild camped’ a lot and had had deadlocks fitted to all the doors. “And we leave the dogs (a couple of smallish terriers) in the ‘van if we go off for a cycle ride”, they said. I undiplomatically replied “If I really wanted to get into a motorhome parked up in a secluded place, I’d use the security van robbers’ friend - a chainsaw - and just cut the vehicle open.” My wife said afterwards “I think you’ve spoiled their holiday."

slowdriver - 2020-12-07 6:18 PM

Quite right, - if you fit it at the front. However I think they may be proposing to fit it at the rear of the sliding door and I can imagine how that would then work. I will check.

As you say, SLD's lock on rear of the door, not the front, this also applies to the standard locks even through handle is at front of door.

slowdriver - 2020-12-07 6:18 PM

Quite right, - if you fit it at the front. However I think they may be proposing to fit it at the rear of the sliding door and I can imagine how that would then work. I will check.

True, though probably tricky to get the alignments right.

I do just wonder what risk is your primary concern. Theft of, theft from, or physical attack?

It has always seemed to me that the windows, rather than the doors, are the least secure parts of motorhomes. The cab door windows (and any other OEM side/rear windows) are toughened glass, and are easily broken. The acrylic conversion windows are easily "jemmied", as the catches are only plastic.

In full public view, in a designated parking area, it is unlikely (though sadly possible) that any thief would risk such a means of entry. But if the van were parked in a less populated place, break-in risk would obviously rise. So much depends on where one is, and where one parks.

I have a nagging suspicion that beyond a certain level the number of visible (and obvious) security devices fitted begins to signal that attractive high value possessions are inside. Only you know where you park, and in what sorts of places, but I am tempted to wonder whether you may be reaching (indeed, may already have surpassed) that point?

slowdriver - 2020-12-07 5:31 PM

but a further means of securing the door from the inside will be installed and used at night.

To secure the sliding door at night I have drilled a 4mm hole through the floor to and through the bottom arm of the door. It requires some careful measuring as obviously the arm can’t be seen once the door is closed. An old screw driver or any other suitable metal rod dropped through the two holes makes it impossible to open the door more than about an inch.

Simple, cheap, very effective and quick and easy to remove in an emergency.

Cattwg :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-07 6:52 PM

I have a nagging suspicion that beyond a certain level the number of visible (and obvious) security devices fitted begins to signal that attractive high value possessions are inside. Only you know where you park, and in what sorts of places, but I am tempted to wonder whether you may be reaching (indeed, may already have surpassed) that point?

My van was broken into in the middle of the afternoon in a busy car park. They bust the quarterlight to reach and search the glovebox and they forced the flimsy plastic catches in the seitz window to get into the van. Probably only took a couple of minutes and unless someone was nearby and foolish enough to challenge them there was no problem.

Muswell - 2020-12-07 8:04 PM

My van was broken into in the middle of the afternoon in a busy car park. They bust the quarterlight to reach and search the glovebox and they forced the flimsy plastic catches in the seitz window to get into the van. Probably only took a couple of minutes and unless someone was nearby and foolish enough to challenge them there was no problem.

I have drilled a 3mm hole through the Seitz window catch and the fixed receiving catch and put a round head nail through both. It can only be removed from the inside but clearly busting the whole bloody thing off including the window is always a possibility.

If they want it, they will have it :-( even heard of a team arriving with low loader and kitted out with high vis jackets, taking them away to base to work on them at leisure .

If you want to protect contents, remember reading of dog barking device that's remotely triggered, of course,set off by movement, the blinds ect need to be closed while away. What a wonderful world we live in ?

I have an immobiliser alarm, deadlocks on every door including the garage, a steering lock and the OBD port has been moved and modified so that anyone connecting their laptop would get 12v up the data line, and a bolted in safe.

Most importantly I have good insurance. I sleep soundly :-)

chas - 2020-12-08 9:31 AM

..., remember reading of dog barking device that's remotely triggered, of course,set off by movement...

A number of barking-dog products are advertised on-line. This one is supposedly one of the ‘best', but the 1-star reviews make entertaining reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAFETY-TECHNOLOGY-ED-55-ELECTRONIC-WATCHDOG/dp/B00BHV6FY6

Discussed here in 2006

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/-Barking-Dog-alarms-/4002/

and the devices have occasionally been mentioned over the years on other motorhome forums.

Another simple trick if wanted to safeguard contents is to draw blinds or curtains securely is to leave a radio on just loud enough to be heard from near the van, and if going out at night leave the interior lights on as well.

Its always a good idea as well to just look around outside to check iif anybody seems to be hanging about before leaving, and a picture of a dog in front window with Beware I live here with a chain and collar left on the dash can also prove useful .

>:-)

Muswell - 2020-12-07 8:04 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-07 6:52 PM

Hi , I’m that fool . All it takes for bad people to prosper is for good people to do nothing . I know this approach isn’t for everyone buts it’s the way I’m built / wired .

I fitted the Heosafe deadlocks to our x290 van, easy to fit and integrate well with existing door trim. We lock all doors at night if wildcamping but secure the sliding door from inside rather than using the deadlock for emergency exits. Funnily enough the baseball bat that has been modified to serve as a shoehorn fits perfectly across the sliding door to prevent it being opened externally : ) bonus that its in your hand as you exist the vehicle in 'emergencies' ; ) Here is a pic of the front locks but I actually purchased them on UK Amazon https://www.kamafritid.se/sv/product/husbilsutrustning-ducato-tillbehor-las4/drrls-heosafe-fiat-x250-par-med-4-st-nycklar--K11-99A

only as strong as what they are fastened to

I couldn't see anything that looked strong enough on Ducato side doors, so settled for microswitches that set off the alarm when the door handle is pulled, irrespective of whether the door is locked and BEFORE the thief has forced his way in.

It has gone off a couple of times, by the time I got out of bed and got to the window the thieves were legging it

I have a bike lock cut in half inserted through holes drilled in the rear door like a bolt

(I get they could smash the side window, but wind it down and try climbing in)

Archived